Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Isn’t the whole idea to not have the place flooded with cheap moochers type crap ?

yes,  they want expensive moochers type crap and a cut of the take.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have you know that I wear a lot of Moochers clothing every day and have done for years.

And I can strip a two-stroke engine down to the gudgeon pins mostly on Moochers tools.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I refuse to take my meals off anything other than moochers bone china...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But with legal battles it's often more how deep your pockets are rather than whether you are right or not. If you're a small shop you can't really take the risk.  The trademark is for the letters TT in relation to motorcycle racing and I suspect a lawyer would be able to make some kind of case that the outline of the Course next to them would bring the t-shirt into that category.  It doesn't have to be a good or convincing case - just enough to make losing a remote possibility.

What I found most interesting was Looney's statement that TT was the worst week of their trading year.  We keep on being told how much it 'makes' for the economy. but it's rarely considered that even among businesses there are a lot of losers as well.  

Manx Radio says these are now on sale again after they took further advice. 

Hopefully the same advice they got on here which was to tell them to piss off.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I honestly can’t see it’s enforceable anyway. It’s a bit like the Bushy’s TT furore a few years back. They don’t own use of the letters TT, they have the copyright to their own TT logo which is a very specific graphic / logo which is trademarked; which is something quite different. Amazing the storm troopers have been sent in again on a small local business getting into the TT spirit. 

Adrian from Looneys is ironically a massive TT fan and IIRC marshals too. He gets into the TT spirit every year and in fact Carolyn Sells (first lady winner on the mountain course) works in the shop and they've had her bike on display in the window. The company pays rates too, unlike some of these cowboys who come over to peddle their rubbish every year and contribute nowt to the local economy. Even the £5 per burger brigade bring everything with them in freezers.

DfE have a brand to protect. That brand however is the big retailers at the back of the grandstand who pay their their big annual licensing fees. But a small family business designing its own T-shirts and not even infringing the logo is crazy. Trading standards are hopefully ashamed of themselves as is whoever told them to intervene.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, its great free advertising for them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Manx Radio says these are now on sale again after they took further advice. 

Hopefully the same advice they got on here which was to tell them to piss off.  

I suspect it's more likely to have been someone in government ringing up the Starship and yelling "FFS - not again!".  Though the post form Looneys said it was Trading Standards that intervened, which is odd because I would have thought it's nothing to do with them.  Surely it should be a civil matter between the DfE and any alleged violators of their trademark?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Just how THICK do you have to be to ignore or be unaware of all this signage....?

87591559_87604467_Wrong Wa.JPG.jpg

On Facebook you could see the reg plate. Sadly it is a local car. You couldn’t make it up:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

On Facebook you could see the reg plate. Sadly it is a local car. You couldn’t make it up:o

Doesn't mean it's a local driver - might be a hire car for example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kevster said:

Doesn't mean it's a local driver - might be a hire car for example

Private reg, so not hire car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, piebaps said:

DfE have a brand to protect. That brand however is the big retailers at the back of the grandstand who pay their their big annual licensing fees. But a small family business designing its own T-shirts and not even infringing the logo is crazy. Trading standards are hopefully ashamed of themselves as is whoever told them to intervene.

They clearly just like being sad pedantic twats self evidently. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect it's more likely to have been someone in government ringing up the Starship and yelling "FFS - not again!".  Though the post form Looneys said it was Trading Standards that intervened, which is odd because I would have thought it's nothing to do with them.  Surely it should be a civil matter between the DfE and any alleged violators of their trademark?

Maybe if they just produced a shirt with “ Looneys” on it it would sell better. Plenty about.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

On Facebook you could see the reg plate. Sadly it is a local car. You couldn’t make it up:o

Looks like a Honda Jazz, the driver is probably 103 years old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPB said:

Looks like a Honda Jazz, the driver is probably 103 years old. 

Oh,

I was half thinking about looking at one, although it was top of the range.

spose it would still be a Jazz:mellow:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Private reg, so not hire car.

Do you mean it's a 'cherished' reg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...