4 minutes ago, kevster said:

Do you mean it's a 'cherished' reg?

Seemed to be. Short reg anyway

I’ll get the magnifying glass out and look again

Edited by dilligaf

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Doesn't mean it's a local driver - might be a hire car for example

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

On Facebook you could see the reg plate. Sadly it is a local car. You couldn’t make it up:o

It was an English reg car. Not a local one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zulu said:

It was an English reg car. Not a local one.

Whatever - probably just a knobhead following their SatNav instead of paying attention to the road signs 

I have never met a local who needs a satnav to get to Ramsey 

9 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I have never met a local who needs a satnav to get to Ramsey 

You would be surprised - I know a few who use it regularly when leaving their local area. Usually the younger ones who weren't brought up having to rely only  on maps and road  signs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevster said:

You would be surprised - I know a few who use it regularly when leaving their local area. Usually the younger ones who weren't brought up having to rely only  on maps and road  signs.

Are you being serious?  I never needed a map to find my way to Peel, Castletown,  laxey ... wherever. We always just knew the way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Are you being serious?  I never needed a map to find my way to Peel, Castletown,  laxey ... wherever. We always just knew the way.

Yup - talking of late teens, early twenties. Not a bloody clue some of them. 

Unfortunately I have to include my own daughter in this group. Last October she arrived at Ronaldsway for a visit and i told her to get the bus into Castletown and come into my workplace..

"Get off in the square, just after the Castle" I said.

"What castle?" she asked....... 

She's 25 and has lived here permanently since she was 2 until going back across to start uni

Edited by kevster
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kevster said:

Yup - talking of late teens, early twenties. Not a bloody clue some of them. 

Unfortunately I have to include my own daughter in this group. Last October she arrived at Ronaldsway for a visit and i told her to get the bus into Castletown and come into my workplace..

"Get off in the square, just after the Castle" I said.

"What castle?" she asked....... 

She's 25 and has lived here since she was 2

I am gobsmacked! 

Just now, NoTail said:

I am gobsmacked! 

Admittedly, she did later realise what a stupid question it was

On a similar vein, at the accountants I used to work at a junior who did the post asked me if Dublin was Northern or Southern Ireland for the post. I could not believe my ears, so started to quiz her about her knowledge of Ireland hoping she would work it out for herself.  A senior, qualified accountant came in and interfered... I was told off ... the qualified accountant said "I have a degree in geography and get confused about this" .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect it's more likely to have been someone in government ringing up the Starship and yelling "FFS - not again!".  Though the post form Looneys said it was Trading Standards that intervened, which is odd because I would have thought it's nothing to do with them.  Surely it should be a civil matter between the DfE and any alleged violators of their trademark?

These guys have sponsored ads all over facebook. I bet they don't care about any IOM trademarks. Mind you, it could be a nice jolly to Miami for a government bod.

https://titi3d79.com/shop/isleofmantt2405?pid=dNpb8JYGt4vcSTKn&cid=Cgny2zIQpD2RQW3c&sid=2

3 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

These guys have sponsored ads all over facebook. I bet they don't care about any IOM trademarks. Mind you, it could be a nice jolly to Miami for a government bod.

https://titi3d79.com/shop/isleofmantt2405?pid=dNpb8JYGt4vcSTKn&cid=Cgny2zIQpD2RQW3c&sid=2

I hope that 

a. They got permission to use the sacred TT

b. Got permission from the makers of Ice Age to use that character

18 minutes ago, NoTail said:

On a similar vein, at the accountants I used to work at a junior who did the post asked me if Dublin was Northern or Southern Ireland for the post. I could not believe my ears, so started to quiz her about her knowledge of Ireland hoping she would work it out for herself.  A senior, qualified accountant came in and interfered... I was told off ... the qualified accountant said "I have a degree in geography and get confused about this" .

An easy mistake for an accountant to make.  For tax purposes it could have been in the Netherlands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

To lift the spirits during the-poor weather this uplifting piece of factual journalism should raise a cheer from the first word to the last....

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48737&headline=Police confirm serious injuries to riders&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019 

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
It's in their blood.....