Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

It's the future....bikes so highly developed that they can't be raced in anything other than perfect conditions.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

It's the future....bikes so highly developed that they can't be raced in anything other than perfect conditions.

It's bollocks more like.

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

I see our all round tourism guru is on the airwaves yet again, complaining about the sky high prices Squeezy Jet are charging for flights over TT. An example used was Senior Race Day with flights costing up to £450. 

Its funny that our Politicos are silent about IOMSPC pricing, all year round, but their showboating grandstanding regarding TT is sickening. If it really affected a resident or business or two in Onchan I’m sure action will be taken. I for one regularly use IOMSPC and am unable to have someone on my side, especially a Politico with supposed clout. Like other users I have to grin and bear it, paying whatever they wish to charge. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/market-forces-to-blame-for-sky-high-travel-fares/

Did RC moan when he found out that we can usually get a flight from here to Liverpool for £20. ? No thought not.

BTW easyjet had flights on the same day for £80 too, but earlier in the day.

30 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Did RC moan when he found out that we can usually get a flight from here to Liverpool for £20. ? No thought not.

BTW easyjet had flights on the same day for £80 too, but earlier in the day.

Have you seen how much IOMSPC have charged for foot passengers on certain timings over TT fortnight. Not exactly cheap, and it’s funny how RC rails against something, but keeps schtum if it involves his beloved masters. If it affected Onchanites then he would be all over the airwaves and whatever medium there is. Unfortunately now, we taxpayers own IOMSPC, but I doubt RC will raise concerns in behalf of the tax paying public, unless you are an Onchan Resident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

Oh come on, wtf are they playing at, Joey would have ridden in these conditions, bloody snowflakes..

He did,he's dead

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It's bollocks more like.

It is bollocks. 

This is the TT and had always been a place where manufacturers could test out and compete against each other to produce better bikes for the market, on varied roads rather than purpose built 'billiard table' tracks, and in every day conditions. The weather was just another aspect of every day riding, although of course many 'bikers' today are fair weather sunny Sunday bikers who don't have a clue how to ride in the wet.

We need to consider that in the wet, the likes of Joey Dunlop dropped maybe one or two mph off his lap time, whereas most other just shit themselves.

Edited by gettafa
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, display name said:
4 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Oh come on, wtf are they playing at, Joey would have ridden in these conditions, bloody snowflakes..

He did,he's dead

90% of all the crashes I have seen were in dry conditions. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

How many crashes have you seen then?

14 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It is bollocks. 

This is the TT and had always been a place where manufacturers could test out and compete against each other to produce better bikes for the market, on varied roads rather than purpose built 'billiard table' tracks, and in every day conditions. The weather was just another aspect of every day riding, although of course many 'bikers' today are fair weather sunny Sunday bikers who don't have a clue how to ride in the wet.

We need to consider that in the wet, the likes of Joey Dunlop dropped maybe one or two mph off his lap time, whereas most other just shit themselves.

Listening to "Milky" Quayle's recollections @ 6pm tonight...of setting off on a wet TT practice lap and feeling his way around on full wet tyres...and being passed by Joey D who'd set off on a slick rear....

1 minute ago, CharlieBrown said:

he's a jinx.

• Like 1

You can't ride these things in the wet over here, it would be even worse carnage. I too remember the wet T.T.'s and practice sessions but safety has moved on from those days.

4 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well, considering that I used to watch every practice ( including mornings) and race from about 8 or 9 years old until I was about 40 odd, I probably saw about 60+ including if I remember correctly about 6 fatals.

Far and away too many, hence my lack of support now.

7 minutes ago, WTF said:
8 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

he's a jinx.

been about 15 - 20 deaths since I stopped watching, so don't blame me please.

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You can't ride these things in the wet over here, it would be even worse carnage. I too remember the wet T.T.'s and practice sessions but safety has moved on from those days.

Precisely...but is it progress? Bikes that can't be used on a damp short circuit, let alone wet public roads...does it have any relevance to the market they purport to be advertising to?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:
8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Precisely...but is it progress? Bikes that can't be used on a damp short circuit, let alone wet public roads...does it have any relevance to the market they purport to be advertising to?

A very good point.

What is the purpose now then, if development is not the key?.

Is there a purpose, apart from money grabbing ?