Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Recommended Posts

Looneys knew the risks and looks like it is paying off for them, I for one plan to pop in for a set of net curtains and at least one acryllic old man jumper off the back of this.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see our all round tourism guru is on the airwaves yet again, complaining about the sky high prices Squeezy Jet are charging for flights over TT. An example used was Senior Race Day with flights costing up to £450. 

Its funny that our Politicos are silent about IOMSPC pricing, all year round, but their showboating grandstanding regarding TT is sickening. If it really affected a resident or business or two in Onchan I’m sure action will be taken. I for one regularly use IOMSPC and am unable to have someone on my side, especially a Politico with supposed clout. Like other users I have to grin and bear it, paying whatever they wish to charge. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/market-forces-to-blame-for-sky-high-travel-fares/

Edited by 2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That £450 is a flight OFF the island on Senior race day.

If it's price is driven by demand it's people in a hurry to get away after TT or people desperate to miss the Senior and 2nd sidecar races in particular.

Or people who've just had their fill of DfE. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looneys need the full weight of the law thrown at them. I'd like to see a long prolonged court case, maybe some jail time for the owners and possible closure of the business. This copyright theft has got out of hand and they need to be stopped. Preferably at a huge cost to the taxpayer.

Come on Rob MHK you need to support your constituents and the IOM as a whole by stopping this brand destruction.

You had it right when you said "The Isle of Man has an incredibly strong brand in the TT, which also brings in additional tourism and economic benefits to this island. For that reason this island and our department has a duty to protect the TT brand from unauthorised use and from any potential repetitional damage to the Isle of Man, its commercial partners and from any potential loss of revenue in the future, which is so vital to this event."
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CharlieBrown said:

Looneys knew the risks and looks like it is paying off for them, I for one plan to pop in for a set of net curtains and at least one acryllic old man jumper off the back of this.

My nan needs a set of flowery curtains too. They‘ll be getting trade across the board on the back of this I’d say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I can see that if they let one company get away with infringement, it opens the floodgates to lots of 'small' traders and that would probably impact licensed traders! 

Not really.  Enforcement has to be proportionate and just because you turn a blind eye to small scale stuff that might or might not infringe trademarks, it doesn't mean that large scale attempts to sell knock-off goods that look a lot more 'official' can't be stopped.  Lawyers might tell you otherwise if they're trying to maximise fees (and win easy cases over the vulnerable), but judges tend to enforce such laws with common sense.

In any case (and this is a point many of us have made before about such actions) such incompetent and insensitive attempts at enforcement is more likely to damage and devalue the 'brand' far more than ignoring such small scale and local enterprise ever could. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really in this case.  It's not like Looney's are going global, they're just selling a few t-shirts locally.  The official retailers are unlikely to see their sales impacted as a lot of people only want to buy the official merchandise but the sort of people who buy the Looney's stuff are probably the ones who never would (they will see Looney's as being more authentic because it is local and unapproved of).  There's probably a (rather flimsy) legal case against Looney's, but the commercial effect will be little or none and the rights should be worth what they were before.

But the point is that you either protect Intellectual Property or you don’t. There is no halfway. When a big retailer comes along and uses IP without permission any case against the infringement is weakened if you allow others to use it without permission. Everybody would like common-sense to prevail but this is about IP law. The Rights Holder has no choice, particularly when they have taken money in licence fees. Or perhaps the moaners would like Government to forego their commercial income and let the taxpayer pick up all the TT costs so Looneys and other locals can make a few bob on the side? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really.  Enforcement has to be proportionate and just because you turn a blind eye to small scale stuff that might or might not infringe trademarks, it doesn't mean that large scale attempts to sell knock-off goods that look a lot more 'official' can't be stopped.  Lawyers might tell you otherwise if they're trying to maximise fees (and win easy cases over the vulnerable), but judges tend to enforce such laws with common sense.

In any case (and this is a point many of us have made before about such actions) such incompetent and insensitive attempts at enforcement is more likely to damage and devalue the 'brand' far more than ignoring such small scale and local enterprise ever could. 

Your point about being proportionate is wrong in the context you use it. It’s about being proportionate in your response, not about taking action or not. A disproportionate response in this case would have been legal action but OFT appear to have acted appropriately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, joebean said:

Your point about being proportionate is wrong in the context you use it. It’s about being proportionate in your response, not about taking action or not. A disproportionate response in this case would have been legal action but OFT appear to have acted appropriately. 

That's how I would see it too. If say ten small concerns produced and sold unlicensed goods, even though different, that would probably impact on those who had paid the license fee. Legal action would be the last resort I would hope?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, joebean said:

But the point is that you either protect Intellectual Property or you don’t. There is no halfway. When a big retailer comes along and uses IP without permission any case against the infringement is weakened if you allow others to use it without permission. Everybody would like common-sense to prevail but this is about IP law. The Rights Holder has no choice, particularly when they have taken money in licence fees. Or perhaps the moaners would like Government to forego their commercial income and let the taxpayer pick up all the TT costs so Looneys and other locals can make a few bob on the side? 

Indeed.  Great article from El Reg re South Butt clothing:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/02/north_butt/

Luckily for him, he won't need to splash out on legal fees. He's represented in his battle with The North Face by attorney Albert Watkins, who "plays squash with his client's father and traded his services for a really good bottle of burgundy".

On 10 September, Watkins replied to The North Face's original cease-and-desist missive, defending: "I am compelled to respectfully disagree with the posture or assertion that 'The South Butt' would in any way give rise to confusion on the part of any person.

"In fact, the sense of parody employed by Jimmy within the context of his South Butt undertakings clearly demonstrate a respectful, if not flattering 'anti-North Face' posture designed in all respects to distinguish itself from any and all North Face products."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m still amazed how many taxi drivers drive on sat nav here I mean really it isn’t hard to go from the British to Onchan without punching it into your iPhone or sat nav. Where do they find their drivers from? 

as a fair number of them do not appear to me Manx, how else are they going to find their way around...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Neil Down said:
18 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m still amazed how many taxi drivers drive on sat nav here I mean really it isn’t hard to go from the British to Onchan without punching it into your iPhone or sat nav. Where do they find their drivers from? 

as a fair number of them do not appear to me Manx, how else are they going to find their way around...

In fairness to the drivers whether from Poland or Peel, using the satnav saves all the stupid " you went the long way " accusations when punters think it pays to go the longest way. It doesn't, unless it is really quiet. Flag price and short trips every time :thumbsup:

 Edit to add that having said that, the modern Palm/smartphone that gives the driver the "job" maybe automatically gives the nav directions upon accepting the pick up ?

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharlieBrown said:

Oh come on, wtf are they playing at, Joey would have ridden in these conditions, bloody snowflakes..

Enduro bikes and steel heeled boots, and away you go. No worries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the future....bikes so highly developed that they can't be raced in anything other than perfect conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...