Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Posted (edited)

Quite clearly Gary Thompson is on a play it safe or lose your job final warning - bread and side buttered etc etc......

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
Gizo is Tanya Humbles
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Quite clearly Gary Thompson is on a play it safe or lose your job final warning - bread and side buttered etc etc......

You may be right there. (about GT, not Gizo)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Was talking to a few people last night going back early. A combination of little practicing to see and camping in bad weather. 

9 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

my thoughts too,  the down side being that if we ever do get weather to ride in there is a lot of catching up to do.  some folks may not have the laps required to qualify and then the question is do they get to ride??   the road closures will be right up to the time limits weather permitting from now on.

Are we heading towards the first 'TT' in living memory with no fatalities on closed or open roads? 

Posted (edited)

If you care to follow the history of Gary Thompson at the TT, he has never put bikes out on the course in wet weather. He was the first Clerk to ever cancel the Senior TT race due to poor conditions. The TT has never had a CoC who has been more concerned with rider safety. The final warning suggestion is just bullshit. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

I see HMV the Minister for Motorsport, Tourism and ‘Fun’’ is opening is giob again to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece claiming the island is facing a £3m black hole due to islanders/businesses selling TT merchandise. His use of figures and use of the words ‘black hole’ get to me. The Starship Enterprise are clearly adept and not afraid of using dodgy or disputed figures or statistics, or not afraid of making misleading and factually incorrect statements. Let’s see if RC has the bottle and the backbone to back up his claims - failing which perhaps it should be a case of falling on ones sword?

incidentally there are areas around the TT course where Manx businesses have placed advertising banners. I thought only the sponsors had exclusive rights to advertise roadside. These few illicit banners are taking away advertising revenue from the Manx public. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/3million-worth-of-revenue-could-be-lost-on-tt-copyright-infringements/

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I see HMV the Minister for Motorsport, Tourism and ‘Fun’’ is opening is giob again to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece claiming the island is facing a £3m black hole due to islanders/businesses selling TT merchandise. His use of figures and use of the words ‘black hole’ get to me. The Starship Enterprise are clearly adept and not afraid of using dodgy or disputed figures or statistics, or not afraid of making misleading and factually incorrect statements. Let’s see if RC has the bottle and the backbone to back up his claims - failing which perhaps it should be a case of falling on ones sword?

incidentally there are areas around the TT course where Manx businesses have placed advertising banners. I thought only the sponsors had exclusive rights to advertise roadside. These few illicit banners are taking away advertising revenue from the Manx public. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/3million-worth-of-revenue-could-be-lost-on-tt-copyright-infringements/

What he's saying is that if they don't act on infringements, people who pay for the licence may not see any value in the TT brand and withdraw financial support.

Single deck buses on the south route. FFS. I know they're every 15 minutes and that's great and all but come on, just left 20 soggy bikers by the side of the road near Murray's cos this bus is already full. Where are all the double deckers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Single deck buses on the south route. FFS. I know they're every 15 minutes and that's great and all but come on, just left 20 soggy bikers by the side of the road near Murray's cos this bus is already full. Where are all the double deckers?

Sold?

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Bit of rain never hurt anyone! It's all part of the UlTTimate TT Experience! 

49 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There were about 30 of them parked doing sod all, at Banks Circus, when I went to Tesco, an hour ago! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Fully agree. There is no policy concerning this. I've noticed that some routes can vary from a minibus to a double decker!

I've seen single deckers packed to the gunwales at 0830 and a double decker on the same service at 1030 with 3 people on it. I queried this with someone from Banks Circus and he said they don't distinguish between the single decker Citaros and the double deckers because the capacity is similar. Yeah, it is, if you want half of them to stand up all the way.

This attitude seems to be borne out by this release from when they arrived:

Welcoming the first Citaro off the ferry, Hon David Cretney MHK, the Isle of Man Government Minister for Community, Culture and Leisure, commented: "These single decker buses have a total capacity of 70 passengers, compared with a capacity of up to 78 on the double decker buses they283_Ventura-Systems-Mercedes-Benz-Citaro are replacing. So, the new Mercedes-Benz Citaros will be able to carry a similar number of passengers with the advantage of being able to operate much more economically due to their size."

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

LOL - the first thing I heard him say was that he had no knowledge of the OFT involvement at Looneys until he read about it on Social Media.

OFT visited as a result of a tip off. Who is likely to be tipping off law enforcement agencies about stuff like this? I can only think of one main suspect. If RC is in charge of motorsport then he should know what's going on and pleading the fifth is just chickenshit IMHO.