Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

These blokes certainly can't be accused of lacking keenness. Drove down Bray Hill at 0945. Several marshals standing on station at junctions in the rain, wearing hi vis and all ready for action. Takes a certain mindset.

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

I've seen single deckers packed to the gunwales at 0830 and a double decker on the same service at 1030 with 3 people on it. I queried this with someone from Banks Circus and he said they don't distinguish between the single decker Citaros and the double deckers because the capacity is similar. Yeah, it is, if you want half of them to stand up all the way.

I thought that double deckers were used for the school runs in the morning/mid-afternoon

7 minutes ago, kevster said:

I thought that double deckers were used for the school runs in the morning/mid-afternoon

They are, but not exclusively for that.

I know that they’re not exclusively for school runs, but it explains why you have packed commuter single deckers

2 minutes ago, kevster said:

I know that they’re not exclusively for school runs, but it explains why you have packed commuter single deckers

In the morning perhaps, but it happens in the evening as well, after the schools services have been completed.  And you see predictably rammed single deckers at other times as well and during the school holidays.  I think it's more that they can't admit that getting rid of the double deckers they did was a mistake, so they just keep on pretending they're equivalent and that's it's acceptable to have people standing for long journeys over country roads.

School is shut for two weeks so they should have more busses at their disposal just a lack of organisation.    The drivers have a connection to the depot and when after a few stops they can see it is getting busy they should ask for a second bus.    There will be drivers available as there are no school busses.   More locals use the bus over the fortnight as there is no parking and driving is a challenge.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

School is shut for two weeks so they should have more busses at their disposal just a lack of organisation.    The drivers have a connection to the depot and when after a few stops they can see it is getting busy they should ask for a second bus.    There will be drivers available as there are no school busses.   More locals use the bus over the fortnight as there is no parking and driving is a challenge.

I get your point, but you can’t run a bus service around a dodgy weather forecast, can you ?

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

There will be drivers available

Unless they've taken annual leave.

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Unless they've taken annual leave.

Are they not allowed annual leave then?

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

You’d think that like any business they would try to manage annual leave so they have enough staff at peak times to maintain services. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

You’d think that like any business they would try to manage annual leave so they have enough staff at peak times to maintain services. 

You and TJ seem to be making some strange assumption about staffing levels

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Where did I say they're not? I'm just saying, there are probably a fair number of them on annual leave right now. I don't know if there's anything in their contract requiring them to not be allowed to take it during Practice or Race Week. The kids are off school so somebody has to stay home, I guess, and nowadays both parents have to work to make ends meet. There are the casual drivers but there's no guarantee of their availability. TT Fortnight isn't just a staffing matter for the transport sector. A lot of mums (and some dads) have to have the time off to care for the kids, meaning other staff will have to work those hours to provide cover. So that means there are other mums or dads in offices who can't take the time off, which then means bus drivers who are dads (or mums) have to ask for the time off.

Edited by Rushen Spy

When the big strike was on one of the gripes was they were not allowed holidays in racing periods.    I feel sure that they are actively discouraged from taking leave when the racing is on after all there are 50 other weeks in the year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

When the big strike was on one of the gripes was they were not allowed holidays in racing periods.    I feel sure that they are actively discouraged from taking leave when the racing is on after all there are 50 other weeks in the year.

I believe that is still the case. A couple of my friends drive buses and accept this quite happily as they get to meet TT supporters from around the world.

In other news, the miserable bus drivers remain miserable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

But as schools are not open there should be more big busses around one would have thought.