Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

This is fast turning into the most weather messed up TT in living memory.

What a contrast to last year!

On 5/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, Non-Believer said:

Listening to "Milky" Quayle's recollections @ 6pm tonight...of setting off on a wet TT practice lap and feeling his way around on full wet tyres...and being passed by Joey D who'd set off on a slick rear....

Not wanting to take anything away from Richard, but to be absolutely fair the above sums up the talent differential between the two riders.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I remember 1997 being full on Summer sun for the two weeks, then '98 being wet, wet, wet just about every day.

47 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I remember 1997 being full on Summer sun for the two weeks, then '98 being wet, wet, wet just about every day.

yes,  you could feel it in your fingers and feel it in your bones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

yes,  you could feel it in your fingers and feel it in your bones.

That was the year Hugh Grant and Andi McDowell won the sidecar.

Must be very disappointing for all the people who have paid a lot of money to come here.  If poor visibility on the mountain section is the main reason for cancelling sessions, I wonder if it would be possible to hold a "limited TT" eg. racing from the Grandstand round to Ramsey, then riders returning to the Grandstand at "normal" speeds via the Laxey coast road.  Might be better than cancelling the thing altogether. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

Must be very disappointing for all the people who have paid a lot of money to come here.  If poor visibility on the mountain section is the main reason for cancelling sessions, I wonder if it would be possible to hold a "limited TT" eg. racing from the Grandstand round to Ramsey, then riders returning to the Grandstand at "normal" speeds via the Laxey coast road.  Might be better than cancelling the thing altogether. 

daft idea 'A' comes to mind.,   

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

Thompson is far too risk-averse. He's made bad call after bad call with the weather this week and it seems to be his MO every year. The writing was on the wall when he canceled the Senior back in 2012 just over a few damp patches. Shameful! Is he deliberately trying to wreck the TT? It's hard to believe how anyone could be genuinely this incompetent.

FFS, THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I think you  mean the most Gary Thompson messed up TT in history.

10 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

See and everyone thought Year of our Island was a a bit shit, but no, best TT ever all thanks to Chris Thomas and the biosphere and stuff.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

Surely it is time we used the TT as a testbed for riderless motorbikes,  remote controlled by kids playing computer games, e-sports are the future according some media bloke from DFE.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:43 PM, dilligaf said:

Well, considering that I used to watch every practice ( including mornings) and race from about 8 or 9 years old until I was about 40 odd, I probably saw about 60+ including if I remember correctly about 6 fatals.

Far and away too many, hence my lack of support now.

Why don`t they bring back morning practices?, it would have solved the problem we have at the minute, with not enough practice sesions.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, kevster said:

I know that they’re not exclusively for school runs, but it explains why you have packed commuter single deckers

Could we not have a Bus TT when the weather is bad, ( instead of buses all parked up ) it would give the bikers something to watch.

3 hours ago, GD4XXX said:

Thompson is far too risk-averse. He's made bad call after bad call with the weather this week and it seems to be his MO every year. The writing was on the wall when he canceled the Senior back in 2012 just over a few damp patches. Shameful! Is he deliberately trying to wreck the TT? It's hard to believe how anyone could be genuinely this incompetent.

FFS, THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

I totally disagree with this, there hasn’t been one decision made that could even be considered ‘marginal’.  It has been obviously that the conditions haven’t been fit; the visibility on the mountain has been such that the helicopter wouldn’t be able to land and clearly very wet roads for most of the time.

I haven’t heard anyone directly involved complaining that these decisions have been anything other than the correct ones, however frustrating it is for everyone.

Safety has to be the first priority, not whether the viewing public are going to be disappointed!!

On 5/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, display name said:

He did,he's dead

Buy surley, the event / challenge, is to ride from point A to point B as quick as possible, if it was the RAC rally, they would put on tyres to suit the conditions at the time, if the wet tyre can`t go the full distance of the TT course, why not have a pit / tyre change at ramsey, at least there would be a race, instead of no races at all, which looking at the forcast for next week seems to be a likely probability.