Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

Think you need to read that again chum, he says the opposite.

The "everest" argument is rather valid this year isn't it? Can you imagine if there were the same number of casualties at a TT? 

You're missing the point, chum. Everest has fuck all to do with the TT. Everest doesn't need road closures and 500+ Hi-vis Hitlers to make it happen. It's a big Mountain that's been there for years people will climb it whatever. The TT is an organised death sport where the government goes out of it's way to make it happen. Think you may need to think about that again Chum.

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Less climbing deaths as in best IOM tradition the mountain would be shut most of the year.

Actually the real problem with Everest is that it is shut for most of the year.  There are so few days when climbing is possible because of the weather that traffic jams build up,  people spend far more time at the highest altitude than they ought and that kills them, directly or indirectly.

All part of the modern world where everyone wants the same unique experience.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

You're missing the point, chum. Everest has fuck all to do with the TT. Everest doesn't need road closures and 500+ Hi-vis Hitlers to make it happen. It's a big Mountain that's been there for years people will climb it whatever. The TT is an organised death sport where the government goes out of it's way to make it happen. Think you may need to think about that again Chum.

He's now clarified, seems I understood and you didn't chum.  No apology necessary though :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

He's now clarified, seems I understood and you didn't chum.  No apology necessary though :thumbsup:

You do talk some shite, Chum. But you are correct. No apology is necessary. :whatever:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

You're missing the point, chum. Everest has fuck all to do with the TT. Everest doesn't need road closures and 500+ Hi-vis Hitlers to make it happen. 

Met all the marshals  have we ?:lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

chum chum chum..............................................................................chum.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually I thought it was golf...... I've lost count of the number of stories I've heard of people (mostly men) dropping dead on a course. Not making it to the 19th must seem a bit cruel to one's mates!

Golf? Bowls? They are so similar I get the two mixed up. But the point still stands

1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

Everest has been there for years but people have been doing the TT before they was climbing Everest. 

Think you may need to think about that again Chum.

(I just put that last bit in because I wanted to use the word Chum).

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, WTF said:

chum chum chum..............................................................................chum.

PAL prolongs active life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyway the TT apologists will  keep coming with new and ever (less) creative ways to try and justify their festival of death. 

Comparing it to what happens in a third world country is bizarre. Is that the standards the Isle of Man should hold itself against?  They've had 70 civil wars since 1945 which have killed 20 million people... 

13 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Anyway the TT apologists will  keep coming with new and ever (less) creative ways to try and justify their festival of death. 

Comparing it to what happens in a third world country is bizarre. Is that the standards the Isle of Man should hold itself against?  They've had 70 civil wars since 1945 which have killed 20 million people... 

Who? The Isle of Man? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

I didn't think there was room for 20m people in Nepal?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.aef949f90b76c7baaff107c03ed7b270.pngThis is absolutely unbelievable. From PH's Facebook page.

Edited by Thie Veg
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I didn't think there was room for 20m people in Nepal?

There are about 30 million currently.

I think there are parallels between IoM and TT and Nepal and climbing Everest.

Both are places with few natural resources or industry. Both are remote. For both the bike racing or mountain climbing are a huge attractant of tourism and inward money flow.

Bike racing and mountain climbing only happen for short periods of the year, both are highly regulated by government, for both you have to get permission from government or NGO ( ACU ) who give out licences in exchange for entrance/climbing fees.

Both activities provide employment to local economy.

Both are dangerous.

Both have a high fatality rate per entrant/competitor/climber mile raced/foot claimed.

• Thanks 2