Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I know I'm regarded as a TT 'fan' but this is why I believe that those who have a young family should not be road racing!

With an 8 day old Daisy, we drove onto the ferry in 2016 and headed out to the Isle of Man. Having had a c-section, I must have been mad but I couldn’t not support my husband with his racing - we were a racing family after all.

Fast forward to 2019 and although this started as always, with blood, sweat and tears to find sponsorship and a ride, everything was turning out to be his best year to date. Everything was lining up perfectly and having experienced false promises with racing early last year, Daley was once again finding his racing smile and confidence - having had this broken in 2018. He once again loved the sport, although still carrying a huge financial burden from a broken 2018 but we knew we had to keep going.

Daley hoped that 2019 would make the world sit up and notice him. Putting him in the position for a free ride for 2020. That hopefully this was the last year of finding sponsors and using our savings to go racing. Me and Daisy believed in him. He was our hero and we would have done anything to get him racing. TT 2018 was actually paid for all on my credit card and the team was pulled together in 2 weeks - they did unbelievably well considering.

No one sees what goes on behind the scenes - trust me, there were a lot of tears to get him to a seeded rider position but the look on his face - he was so unbelievably proud. Priceless.

Daley was born to entertain. He always had a cheeky smile on his face but he was also very talented not only in riding but also technically he could build a bike and knew the ins and outs. For many years having to build and ride his own bikes. But 2019 was meant to be different. Turns out it certainly was but in a way we never ever expected.

We all know how wrong it can go but he would never wish to stop. He lost many a friend and witnessed stuff no one ever should on a track. How he ever got back on a bike I’ll never know. But it was his life and his passion. He wanted to be liked and he wanted to entertain. And he wanted to make a better life for me and for Daisy. We know he gave it 100% and we were with him every single step of the way.

The highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

Daley falling asleep was a standard joke in our house. Unfortunately now, this is one sleep he won’t wake from. Our own sleeping beauty.

Love you to the moon and back!

Fully agree.  Utterly selfish.  He knew the risks, his wife knew the risks, but I bet his now 3 year old Daisy comes to regret his choices.  Same goes too for Everest climbers - by all means crack on, but not if your untimely death will leave your young children destitute and parentless.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

What I am bothered about is tax money being used to sponsor the death carnival. 

Let's prioritise then and stop our tax money being used for an airport available to light aircraft pilots and their death machines.

Or aren't their lives as important because they don't cause longer queues in Tesco?

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wrighty: It's a familiar tale that we've heard many times over the years, and I always wonder if the perspective changes for those left behind when time, distance, and necessity has rearranged their lives, and the dream too has died with their loved one. It's an awful finality to come to terms with and I doubt they feel the same in the hard years to come. Is it fair on a child - personally I don't think so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

You can do a lot with your life and do some good for others too without putting your neck on the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

No smoking, drinking, skiing, diving, sailing, cycling or owning a motorcycle of any kind once you're a parent then! Oh and keep fit, no beer bellies or bingo wings allowed Please don't touch red meat, processed foods, salt, sugar or fatty foods either. Better ban all boxers, rugby and football players from being parents, in fact all sportspeople!

Fricking idiots. How about people make their own choices.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

No smoking, drinking, skiing, diving, sailing, cycling or owning a motorcycle of any kind once you're a parent then! Oh and keep fit, no beer bellies or bingo wings allowed Please don't touch red meat, processed foods, salt, sugar or fatty foods either. Better ban all boxers, rugby and football players from being parents, in fact all sportspeople!

How many in that list of yours hit walls at 180+ mph?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

No smoking, drinking, skiing, diving, sailing, cycling or owning a motorcycle...

Not saying that at all, more concerned with being forced to directly fund an event with an atrocious safety record.

• Like 2

June and snowflakes......who would have thought it,. some people should get out more and leave others to do what floats their boat.    You have one life it is a personal choice with what you do or don't do.   Tomorrow may never come for a lot of people who have never heard of the T.T. races let alone take part living is dangerous, it is a dangerous world always has been, always will be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

...leave others to do what floats their boat...

That's a  two-way street, pun entirely unintended.  Would be more than happy for the 'others' to do that without having contribute to the direct and indirect running costs.

Would also be more than happy to continue to contribute if concrete and effective efforts were undertaken to improve the safety record, as has happened in all other forms of major motorsport events..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterflies said:

22 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

June and snowflakes......who would have thought it,. some people should get out more and leave others to do what floats their boat.    You have one life it is a personal choice with what you do or don't do.   Tomorrow may never come for a lot of people who have never heard of the T.T. races let alone take part living is dangerous, it is a dangerous world always has been, always will be.

It’s pretty selfish to pursue a dangerous sport such as road racing if you have a young family. 

Nothing to do with being a snowflake. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It’s pretty selfish to pursue a dangerous sport such as road racing if you have a young family. 

Nothing to do with being a snowflake. 

Racing is racing, and as long as it is as safe as it can be made, then the risks are what they are. It’s bloody sad when one of the riders buys the farm.

This poor young widow clearly knew those risks too. She doesn’t seem to have been blinkered to them, and will have known what she was getting into when she started to date a motorbike racer. It was what made the man that she loved what he was.

its the event- associated carnage on the open public road that remains my bugbear. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Children have no choice in the matter of their parents taking part in dangerous activities. It’s more than childish and selfish to risk leaving your child alone by taking part in a dangerous activity such as racing on the Mountain Course!

I have put several in body bags and seen the aftermath first hand!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Wrighty: It's a familiar tale that we've heard many times over the years, and I always wonder if the perspective changes for those left behind when time, distance, and necessity has rearranged their lives, and the dream too has died with their loved one. It's an awful finality to come to terms with and I doubt they feel the same in the hard years to come. Is it fair on a child - personally I don't think so.

NEWS: Road racing fan Simon Brooks tells Dollin Mercer about his Gofundme page, set up to raise money for the late TT racer Daley Mathison's family ?," ( not this go fund me story again" is it ), surley the £3M government income from the TT should be covering this cost , should it not ??

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

How many in that list of yours hit walls at 180+ mph?

Just out of interest, what did he hit ?