Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

55 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It’s pretty selfish to pursue a dangerous sport such as road racing if you have a young family. 

Nothing to do with being a snowflake. 

Racing is racing, and as long as it is as safe as it can be made, then the risks are what they are. It’s bloody sad when one of the riders buys the farm.

This poor young widow clearly knew those risks too. She doesn’t seem to have been blinkered to them, and will have known what she was getting into when she started to date a motorbike racer. It was what made the man that she loved what he was.

its the event- associated carnage on the open public road that remains my bugbear. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Children have no choice in the matter of their parents taking part in dangerous activities. It’s more than childish and selfish to risk leaving your child alone by taking part in a dangerous activity such as racing on the Mountain Course!

I have put several in body bags and seen the aftermath first hand!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Wrighty: It's a familiar tale that we've heard many times over the years, and I always wonder if the perspective changes for those left behind when time, distance, and necessity has rearranged their lives, and the dream too has died with their loved one. It's an awful finality to come to terms with and I doubt they feel the same in the hard years to come. Is it fair on a child - personally I don't think so.

NEWS: Road racing fan Simon Brooks tells Dollin Mercer about his Gofundme page, set up to raise money for the late TT racer Daley Mathison's family ?," ( not this go fund me story again" is it ), surley the £3M government income from the TT should be covering this cost , should it not ??

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

How many in that list of yours hit walls at 180+ mph?

Just out of interest, what did he hit ?

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Racing is racing, and as long as it is as safe as it can be made, then the risks are what they are. It’s bloody sad when one of the riders buys the farm.

This poor young widow clearly knew those risks too. She doesn’t seem to have been blinkered to them, and will have known what she was getting into when she started to date a motorbike racer. It was what made the man that she loved what he was.

its the event- associated carnage on the open public road that remains my bugbear. 

40mph limit on the Mountain for the two weeks and make it two way again. 

They're supposed to be coming to watch the racers race. Not act like wannabe dickheads who then need the road every 2 minutes while their bikes are picked up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Just out of interest, what did he hit ?

Who ??

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

According to this forum, dangerous activities are fine as long as they don't take place on closed roads.

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

That's a  two-way street, pun entirely unintended.  Would be more than happy for the 'others' to do that without having contribute to the direct and indirect running costs.

How much of a discount do you think you'd get on your tax bill if it was scrapped tomorrow?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It’s pretty selfish to pursue a dangerous sport such as road racing if you have a young family. 

Or fly a light aircraft, or go mountaineering, or scuba diving, or skiing...

Maybe we should ban people with kids from doing anything for 18 years of their lives.

Only joking - none of the anti brigade care about people who die doing those events because they don't involve road closures for a few days in the year.

Edited by bloodycomeover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

postcard.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

June and snowflakes......who would have thought it,. some people should get out more and leave others to do what floats their boat.    You have one life it is a personal choice with what you do or don't do.   Tomorrow may never come for a lot of people who have never heard of the T.T. races let alone take part living is dangerous, it is a dangerous world always has been, always will be.

Snowflakes? Says an apologist for a sport where they won't go out in the rain? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, bloodycomeover said:

Maybe we should ban people with kids from doing anything for 18 years of their lives.

Only joking - none of the anti brigade care about people who die doing those events because they don't involve road closures for a few days in the year.

Now you’re getting a bit silly. 

I’ve raced in the TT and MGP, I’ve seen what happens and it’s not nice. There are dangerous pursuits and there are dangerous sports. Scuba and flying light aircraft are not competitive sports where you are pushing the limits. I can accept the accidents at the TT etc if the only casualty is yourself. I had a massive one and would ride again tomorrow if I could but I don’t have young children who you won’t be there for at Christmas and other important times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Now you’re getting a bit silly. 

I’ve raced in the TT and MGP, I’ve seen what happens and it’s not nice. There are dangerous pursuits and there are dangerous sports. Scuba and flying light aircraft are not competitive sports where you are pushing the limits. I can accept the accidents at the TT etc if the only casualty is yourself. I had a massive one and would ride again tomorrow if I could but I don’t have young children who you won’t be there for at Christmas and other important times.

Not enough posters know who you are or what you have done for the sport.

Your opinion is to be respected as I know that you have been there , done that etc etc.

If these people had seen what you have and gone through the crap you have had to for wanting to help the sport, they may rethink their polarized views

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dilli but people are entitled to their views I guess. It would help if some of them thought it through before posting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bloodycomeover said:

How much of a discount do you think you'd get on your tax bill if it was scrapped tomorrow?

It must take a lot of practice to miss the point with such accuracy and consistency!:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bloodycomeover said:

Maybe we should ban being an angry keyboard warrior? It can't be doing your blood pressure any good, can it?

You already seem delusional so it can only get worse! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1