Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

2 hours ago, On The Bus said:

Snowflakes? Says an apologist for a sport where they won't go out in the rain? 

Claims of “snowflakes” seems to fast be becoming a general insult on here to anything the usual angry pensioners can’t seem to comprehend. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

here are dangerous pursuits and there are dangerous sports. Scuba and flying light aircraft are not competitive sports where you are pushing the limits.

We're all good to start the campaign to ban skiing though, right? Or do we accept that bloodsport leaving families without a parent because it doesn't involve closing a road?

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Thanks Dilli but people are entitled to their views I guess. It would help if some of them thought it through before posting.

I assume I'm being nosey, but who are you? If you're a former TTer who had a big one, Milky? 

13 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

I assume I'm being nosey, but who are you? If you're a former TTer who had a big one, Milky? 

Wrong, sorry :flowers:

Obvious question I know, but is this the most weather disrupted TT anyone can recall...or is there worse in living memory? I can’t recall one quite so chaotic (to include practice week).

3 hours ago, On The Bus said:

Snowflakes? Says an apologist for a sport where they won't go out in the rain? 

That’s all about safety. Ask your mum to explain the principles involved 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Obvious question I know, but is this the most weather disrupted TT anyone can recall...or is there worse in living memory? I can’t recall one quite so chaotic (to include practice week).

Guessing that it is more to do with the stricter safety measures being applied (and rightly so)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

He loves a big one does 'fat shaft'.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Guessing that it is more to do with the stricter safety measures being applied (and rightly so)

Bit of both. Anybody remember 1998 (El Nino year)? Races run in the pouring rain including the shortened 250 that Joey won. They wouldn't even start races in those conditions nowadays.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

Children have no choice in the matter of their parents taking part in dangerous activities. It’s more than childish and selfish to risk leaving your child alone by taking part in a dangerous activity such as racing on the Mountain Course!

I have put several in body bags and seen the aftermath first hand!

I don't race, haven't got the skills required or the 'bottle' but I have friends who race and sadly one , one of my two best mates on the island died road racing on this island.

I marshal and have attended a few "offs" sadly including a couple of fatals so I to have seen the aftermath  first hand.

I can see your argument in relation to those competitors who've got children but was impressed by Bridget Dobbs (sp?) words prior to the "last lap" made by her husband  who clearly did not share your view as did  the views of my mates family.

My dear friend had a child when he started racing  and a grandchild  when he died  , you may consider he was selfish  but the family supported his ( and their),  decision that he should race  .  

I spoke to him at length and he was fully aware of the risks and I would have considered it impertinent to have told him he was selfish .

Not looking for a row "MP" just saying:flowers:

• Like 3

I wish on the busses mother would put him to bed it must be well past his bedtime.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, paswt said:

I don't race, haven't got the skills required or the 'bottle' but I have friends who race and sadly one , one of my two best mates on the island died road racing on this island.

I marshal and have attended a few "offs" sadly including a couple of fatals so I to have seen the aftermath  first hand.

I can see your argument in relation to those competitors who've got children but was impressed by Bridget Dobbs (sp?) words prior to the "last lap" made by her husband  who clearly did not share your view as did  the views of my mates family.

My dear friend had a child when he started racing  and a grandchild  when he died  , you may consider he was selfish  but the family supported his ( and their),  decision that he should race  .  

I spoke to him at length and he was fully aware of the risks and I would have considered it impertinent to have told him he was selfish .

Not looking for a row "MP" just saying:flowers:

The wife or partner certainly does know what she has let herself in for, and I know of two mates who have had their racing careers cut short because their partner couldn't bear the worry. A child doesn't really get that choice, nor may they understand the consequences of an accident. Would they rather a memory of their late dad doing what he loved or would they prefer him to be there for them growing up?

24 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I wish on the busses mother would put him to bed it must be well past his bedtime.

Tired of having your bullshit highlighted?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Tired of having your bullshit highlighted?

Give it a rest Jack