Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

11 hours ago, gettafa said:

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that people should wrap themselves in cotton wool; just pointing out that when you have a family you are forced to make a choice between doing things that you enjoy that are dangerous and ensuring that you meet your responsibilities.

When our eldest was born I gave up riding a motorcycle; solo rock climbing; skydiving and downhill mountain biking; my own choice because I want to see my kids grow up and make sure they’re provided for. It would’ve been childish and selfish to do anything else. 

I still enjoy climbing (roped) and cycling and have found time for other pursuits such as sea kayaking and wild camping that my kids also enjoy because I’ve mitigated much of the risk whilst still retaining the sense of fun and adventure. 

If this poor young man was as talented as I’m lead to believe he could’ve focussed his efforts on short circuit racing where the dangers are far less than on the roads. He may have had regrets as he grew older but those are out weighed by seeing your children grow.

I always find myself conflicted about the TT; on the one hand I think it’s great that an event like it can still exist and see it as a triumph of human endeavour but I find myself increasingly disturbed when I see the bikes piling off the ferry and find myself wondering which ones will never make it home. 

I’m not sure it’s worth it anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If, as a few posters on here suggest, that the TT is past its sell by date then collar your MHK’s and request that it should end. I somehow think the majority of the Island don’t want to see it finish and the MHK’s will in all likelihood agree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it against the rules to run the senior race on the Thursday? Weather wise it would make sense, but I seem to recall from a previous year that contingency days are only used for catch up, not to get things done in advance, even if the forecast looks like tomorrow is it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

If, as a few posters on here suggest, that the TT is past its sell by date then collar your MHK’s and request that it should end. I somehow think the majority of the Island don’t want to see it finish and the MHK’s will in all likelihood agree

Neil, it wont be the mhks who decide that. Not being funny. Not in their hands.

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that people should wrap themselves in cotton wool; just pointing out that when you have a family you are forced to make a choice between doing things that you enjoy that are dangerous and ensuring that you meet your responsibilities.

When our eldest was born I gave up riding a motorcycle; solo rock climbing; skydiving and downhill mountain biking; my own choice because I want to see my kids grow up and make sure they’re provided for. It would’ve been childish and selfish to do anything else. 

I still enjoy climbing (roped) and cycling and have found time for other pursuits such as sea kayaking and wild camping that my kids also enjoy because I’ve mitigated much of the risk whilst still retaining the sense of fun and adventure. 

If this poor young man was as talented as I’m lead to believe he could’ve focussed his efforts on short circuit racing where the dangers are far less than on the roads. He may have had regrets as he grew older but those are out weighed by seeing your children grow.

I always find myself conflicted about the TT; on the one hand I think it’s great that an event like it can still exist and see it as a triumph of human endeavour but I find myself increasingly disturbed when I see the bikes piling off the ferry and find myself wondering which ones will never make it home. 

I’m not sure it’s worth it anymore. 

Were you ever really into motorcycling? I mean really?

Maybe it was just another mode of convenient/cheaper or whatever transport. and maybe you were searching for something you didn't really find, but tried. I don't know.

But whatever, in which case you made the very right decision.

Similarly ditto to your solo rock climbing, skydiving and downhill mountain biking.

I know you from your post. I respect you but I'm not sure I really admire you. Whether your offspring do is a matter between you and them, but that may just be incidental.

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Give election a try yourself mate. I would respect you for it.

I have known on a personal level most/all of the MHKs over the past 25 years. There has only been one that I know of (and I am sure very few people will know of this ) that has been against the TT. That MHK chose not to make their views on the matter public except to close friends. That MHK was always re-elected. 

7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Neil, it wont be the mhks who decide that. Not being funny. Not in their hands.

The TT will end itself. Whether it's in the next two days or two decades. People have posted previously about 'the big one' - a scenario known to planners -  where there will be double digit fatalities and serious injuries, the hospital will be inundated and the system collapses. 

God forbid it ever happens, but there is certainly a chance of it. One of those bikes ploughing in to a grandstand would be like a bomb going off.

MHKs have the power to prevent it by simply ending the TT. But for now they will care more for the middle aged gammon vote. 

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

Is it against the rules to run the senior race on the Thursday? Weather wise it would make sense, but I seem to recall from a previous year that contingency days are only used for catch up, not to get things done in advance, even if the forecast looks like tomorrow is it!

Sponsorships usually restrict that...usually lots of peripheral activities arranged. One race was changed this week...because it was not sponsored.

21 hours ago, gettafa said:

Let's all wrap our lives in cotton wool and do nothing we enjoy until we reach the age of 88 and play fucking bowls or something.

I can see a lot of bands, read a lot of books, watch a lot of sunsets, see my team win a lot in 88 years. It's not a binary choice is it -  Live fast, die young OR have a long miserable life. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Racing is racing, and as long as it is as safe as it can be made, then the risks are what they are. It’s bloody sad when one of the riders buys the farm.

This poor young widow clearly knew those risks too. She doesn’t seem to have been blinkered to them, and will have known what she was getting into when she started to date a motorbike racer. It was what made the man that she loved what he was.

its the event- associated carnage on the open public road that remains my bugbear. 

Briefly popping back...

Derek, as some one who has served in the Police, I expected better from you than this (especially your work in accident investigation).

It’s bloody sad when one of the riders buys the farm

It is not "one" though, is it?  If he had been the first fatality in the "sport" or they happened so infrequently that the event of someone dying were seen as a freak occurrence, I would be more inclined to agree, but people die during the TT like "bloody" clock work.

This poor young widow clearly knew those risks too

There is a world of difference between "knowing the risks" and "knowing the risks".

You can read about skydiving until your last days, being aware of all the various ways things can go wrong and how you would in theory you end up splattered all over creation, but that is not the same as hurtling towards the ground at 120+mph screaming and shitting yourself.

The wife might well have idea of what it will be like to be a widow, but the family are going to spend the rest of their lives getting over this tragedy.  I am willing to bet every single spouse who watches their partner disappear off the start line are crossing everything they have saying "please, let them finish alive and whole" but in all the bravdo and excitement before that there is also a lot of "it wont happen to mine".

.. the same noise every year on this forum.

Anyways, been using the bus this week, last night it was a bit late going into town.  Elderly driver who never said  a word to anyone as they got on, when reaching the Brown Bobby, never stopped at any of the stops people wanted. Simply ignored the bell and sailed through to the prom.  Poor lass with a pram had to go all the way back up the hill.  Twat.

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

.. the same noise every year on this forum.

Anyways, been using the bus this week, last night it was a bit late going into town.  Elderly driver who never said  a word to anyone as they got on, when reaching the Brown Bobby, never stopped at any of the stops people wanted. Simply ignored the bell and sailed through to the prom.  Poor lass with a pram had to go all the way back up the hill.  Twat.

Are you on the right topic?

Yes, I always use buses during TT.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It was what made the man that she loved what he was.

Yep, she or any of these women would be better having my mate as a partner. He plays the apocryphal bowls, when he can be bothered to get off the sofa watching Netflix. He once did nearly a lap of the TT course on his Playstation too.

etc

• Haha 1

I cam to the island through a life long love of motorcycling some years ago but that love has now dwindled. I don't watch the racing per se although due to work matters I did find myself watching the superbike race start the other day and I did think am I watching someone here who might not be coming back from this?

The first lap was completing  as I left the grandstand and by the time I got back to the office that poor man had died. 

Living in a first world democracy we should cherish our freedom and liberty to do certain things, things perhaps other's might not like. On a personal scale none of it is really for me anymore  but that doesn't mean I would stop it because of that..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

There is a world of difference between "knowing the risks" and "knowing the risks".

This is correct.  I see it all the time in my day job.  We warn patients of the risks of surgery, but they never believe it'll happen to them, and if it does we often, after the event, hear "if I'd known it would be like this I'd never have gone ahead with it".