Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

This is correct.  I see it all the time in my day job.  We warn patients of the risks of surgery, but they never believe it'll happen to them, and if it does we often, after the event, hear "if I'd known it would be like this I'd never have gone ahead with it".

Often?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

This is correct.  I see it all the time in my day job.  We warn patients of the risks of surgery, but they never believe it'll happen to them, and if it does we often, after the event, hear "if I'd known it would be like this I'd never have gone ahead with it".

Well doesn’t that just fill me with confidence :wacko:

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Edited by Neil Down

14 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I cam to the island through a life long love of motorcycling some years ago but that love has now dwindled.

It's ok, you didn't really have that love in the first place.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

That’s not true. It’s possible to be in love and to fall out of love. In case you hadn’t noticed, it happens all the time.

Things happen, time passes, we change and what was once our heart’s desire no longer interests us. You can’t accuse someone of not loving in the first place. Well, you can, but it’s an arrogant assumption to make. And unkind.  

Edited by ecobob
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Well there's love and there's love.

But in all, those that profess their 'love' rarely know or understand what the word means.

Edited by gettafa

53 minutes ago, gettafa said:

You can say that about lots of things in life. Especially people.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Ok let's call it an infatuation if that is more acceptable to you semantically.

15 minutes ago, gettafa said:

But in all, those that profess their 'love' rarely know or understand what the word means.

As the great philosopher you are, you really don't know people at all, do you? I thought your initial comment was a little disingenuous.

52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Ah but I suppose you do? Of course :rolleyes:

Obviously, or they wouldn’t have been able to make their statement in the first place. Or maybe now they’ve realised they’ve dropped a bollock and are now trying to change the subject? The gaslighters are out in force today. Must be the sun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Often?

at nobles ? probably.  lawyers love the place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Neil, it wont be the mhks who decide that. Not being funny. Not in their hands.

Oh it is dilli, you just don’t realise it... yet

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

4 hours ago, finlo said:

Often?

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Well doesn’t that just fill me with confidence :wacko:

1 hour ago, WTF said:

at nobles ? probably.  lawyers love the place.

Allow me to clarify.

All medical interventions have a risk of unintended complications.  We can often quote rates of specific complications, for example a 1 in 200 risk of infection in a joint replacement.  Patients accept this, we do our best to mitigate the risk, but it can't be eliminated.  So on occasion we all get patients who suffer complications and may end up worse off, in some respects, than they were prior to their intervention.  If that happens, that (small) group of patients will often say that 'had I know it'd be like this I'd never have gone ahead'.

A complication, or a risk, is purely theoretical until it happens to you.  And then it's no consolation that the next 199 joint replacements, on average, won't get an infection.

Linking back to the TT, I heard a figure - not sure how accurate it is - that there is one death per 600 laps.  So riders may know that, but think that it's pretty good odds.  If it does turn out to be them though, the 599 laps with no fatal ending is no consolation to them or their family I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4