Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Posted (edited)

Deaths in the TT, or indeed, any circumstance, are  1 : 1.

Avoidable deaths are not acceptable in any ratio, it is callous to try to justify them by numbers!

" The Fallen " is the term used to describe those soldiers killed in a war. Is it not a little demeaning to them to use the term for TT deaths?

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It's Marks & Spencer's door ways that carry the huge risk - every week there's an Ambulance there scooping up another fallen Pensionner.

Has to be at least 1 a month at that death trap.....

I’m sure that’s why they put those chairs there so they can sit and wait for the ambulance to arrive. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SJR said:

Not sure that you have a clue about odds creature but I will accept your wagers all day long.I have never read so much nonsense and unlike you I am a real professional that can make gambling pay.You anonymous halfwit probably on £20k a year that can still bet with the likes of nobet£365 Paddy Punter and Ladstrokes.If you can still bet with them you are a loser.Basically if they will lay you they will slay you.Prick.

I wasn’t running a book, I was extrapolating the risk from the figure wrighty supplied. 

As you’ve been told before I don’t work for an online gambling firm. In fact, I’ve never placed an online bet. 

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Not as good as Milky but a bigger accident unfortunately.

Don’t undersell yourself. ( if that is even a saying)

4 hours ago, Declan said:

The difference is you are only going to have one joint replacement. So 1 in 200 is pretty good odds.

But a rider is aiming to do more than one lap. So if the race is 6 laps the odds drops to 1 in 100. And if there's 50 riders in the race, there's a 50% chance that someone will die.

I reckon if ( like in Europe) roadside memorials were erected around the “course” and spaced out, there would be one every few hundred yards. Imagine driving round and seeing 7 memorials every mile. Every one in site of the next. 

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I reckon if ( like in Europe) roadside memorials were erected around the “course” and spaced out, there would be one every few hundred yards. Imagine driving round and seeing 7 memorials every mile. Every one in site of the next. 

The TT apologists would thrive off it. They seem to draw some weird satisfaction from remembering all of the 260 deaths. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

The TT apologists would thrive off it. They seem to draw some weird satisfaction from remembering all of the 260 deaths. 

Ace idea, perhaps lifesize models made of recticel.

25 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

There is map of all deaths on the TT course, click on each skull and crossbones and gives info on who and when. 

Think the link was on a previous TT thread somewhere!!

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

How is someone killed on the sloc have anything to do with racing ?   Unfortunately people get killed on the Manx roads all the year around.    FFSake you will be blaming Brexit next.

Because it’s all part of the TT festival, man here pursuing his fix of TT deaths goes and gets killed himself. 

The Sloc road is seriously quick road, nobody up there monitoring the bikers. Accident waiting to happen, which it did. 

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

Not as good as Milky but a bigger accident unfortunately.

Blimey. That does take some doing!

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

So someone killed on the Sloc. This is where they’re getting there thrills now. No police, road like a billiard table, it’s crazy up there at times, then you have the ‘scrambler’ bikes up there too destroying the countryside.

this is the TT bonanza, come on over and we’ll send you home in a body bag. Roll up, roll up.

Sad news indeed. 

The problem with policing is that in general it is evidence-based and intelligence-led. So that is where you position your patrols, and lobby the DOI for better speed controls. 

The problem with the current set up is that the Mountain Road arrangements are massively labour intensive. Permanent car at the Creg (could be sorted with barriers). One at Brandywell (to close Road in event of collision between there and Creg) One at Bungalow (to close road in case of collision at Hailwoods Rise) and theee, but preferably four at Hairpin (one to respond to collision, one to close at Hairpin, one to close and one to back up for the big one. 

That is seven units that can’t be carrying out preventive work anywhere else. 

Which brings us to the reality that solving the Mountain dilemma is the game changer

• Like 2

Mountain dilemma? Close it, save lives!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

and theee, but preferably four at Hairpin (one to respond to collision, one to close at Hairpin, one to close and one to back up for the big one. 

What do you mean by the big one?

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Not a good plan because of course the very next year someone would be killed crashing into a memorial.

• Like 1