Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Just published on the IOM Newspapers website, the Queens Birthday Honours ................... guess what?

no sign of an official honour for a TT/MGPFOM Marshal. There is an OBE for Mr El Presidente of Tynpotwald, Mr Rodan.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48962&headline=Tynwald president's delight at OBE&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

He deserves this honour for his bagpipe playing alone .:lol: FFS, How to lower the value of an award.

 Was Tony Fox afforded the same press time ? No , thought not, even though he has done 1,000,000 times more than Rodan for us.

Edited by dilligaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bloodycomeover said:

Of course if we attracted a similar number of tourists to any other event, none would ever be killed or injured on the roads while visiting. Safest in the world when the TT isn't on :rolleyes:

I bet even you don't know the point you're failing to make any more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have asked my hubby regards any further racing but he was at some Spirit of the TT Award to the Marshals. He does the mountain as like many others, although isn't able to leave until the roads closed vehicle and convoy takes him back to the Creg. He said he does it because there's a need for volunteers to help out and I find it strange in a way because he's not bothered with motorbikes or the racing, but wants to make sure the riders and past traditions continue to go as safe as they can. Personally, I think they ride too fast and too much is made of lap records. 

I would like to see some type of award for marshals who have done 30 years or more in a sort of long service award and I don't mean to ridicule the military's long service awards, because voluntary Marshals only do 2 or 4 weeks of the year if you take in the Classic motorbike race later in the year and its nowhere near the same, but....... I'd like to see awards given for 30 years to start with and maybe a 20 years award as well once established.

Is it possible? Does anyone else think its a reasonable idea but needs some tweaking? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manxy said:

I should have asked my hubby regards any further racing but he was at some Spirit of the TT Award to the Marshals. He does the mountain as like many others, although isn't able to leave until the roads closed vehicle and convoy takes him back to the Creg. He said he does it because there's a need for volunteers to help out and I find it strange in a way because he's not bothered with motorbikes or the racing, but wants to make sure the riders and past traditions continue to go as safe as they can. Personally, I think they ride too fast and too much is made of lap records. 

I would like to see some type of award for marshals who have done 30 years or more in a sort of long service award and I don't mean to ridicule the military's long service awards, because voluntary Marshals only do 2 or 4 weeks of the year if you take in the Classic motorbike race later in the year and its nowhere near the same, but....... I'd like to see awards given for 30 years to start with and maybe a 20 years award as well once established.

Is it possible? Does anyone else think its a reasonable idea but needs some tweaking? 

I agree, a long service award would be some recognition. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the TT visitor numbers are way down on previous years. Will be interesting to read/hear what the DfE member responsible for motor sport has to say about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm pretty sure the TT visitor numbers are way down on previous years. Will be interesting to read/hear what the DfE member responsible for motor sport has to say about that.

Must have heard the horsetrams weren't running the full length off the prom, so decided to stay away. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm pretty sure the TT visitor numbers are way down on previous years. Will be interesting to read/hear what the DfE member responsible for motor sport has to say about that.

Couple of publicans I'm acquainted with have both told me they've had their best year for some time on drink and food sales. Hardly surprising given the lack of other things available because of the weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quilp said:

Believe it or not...

 

_20190608_093005.JPG

But weren't last years figured revisited/adjusted downwards because IOMSPCo numbers were incorrect?

ETA: Seems our postings crossed.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we need to have the air passenger arrivals to add to the Steam Packet figure so we get total visitors.

We travelled to island after 6 weeks away, on 26/5. For all sorts of reasons it was a one way ticket. Are we included in the 35,900?

Odd press release, Id be saying "nearly 36,000" rather than more than 35,000 and "13,500" rather than more than 13,000 in the strap

line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But weren't last years figured revisited/adjusted downwards because IOMSPCo numbers were incorrect?

ETA: Seems our postings crossed.

I thought it was upwards..? To great fanfare..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...