Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps Tynpotwalders could show their appreciation and set aside a token amount towards something for the Marshals. 

Tynpotwalders have a banquet on July 5, I believe they have to pay. There is also a Tynpotwald Garden Party - a great strain on the budget and hardly the best use of resources. 

A real sign of appreciation would be a specially commissioned watch by Bremont. Has anyone seen the new TT watch? £5000+, the TT winners get a specially designed watch in addition to prize money. 

Crazy to suggest a banquet for marshalls. They should be paid by the ACU or whoever, not our taxpayers money. To say they should go to the July 5 one is beyond stupid.

Many marshalls deserve medals for what they do, especially the ones stuck up on the mountain, but I came through Gov. Bridge yesterday and there were something like 16 - 18 marshalls there. Shouldn't some of them be better placed ?

• Like 2

I wasn’t suggesting that the Marshall’s use the July 5 Tynpotwald Banquet and gatecrash, but was trying to use it as a case in point. 

I wonder how many of the volunteer marshals have received recognition via the honours system (BEM, MBE and OBE). Yes there are many in receipt of honours for services to charity. Incidentally I am aware the CoC has a BEM and MBE. 

23 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Crazy to suggest a banquet for marshalls. They should be paid by the ACU or whoever, not our taxpayers money. To say they should go to the July 5 one is beyond stupid.

Many marshalls deserve medals for what they do, especially the ones stuck up on the mountain, but I came through Gov. Bridge yesterday and there were something like 16 - 18 marshalls there. Shouldn't some of them be better placed ?

Makes you wonder who controls the marshals?

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps Tynpotwalders could show their appreciation and set aside a token amount towards something for the Marshals. 

Tynpotwalders have a banquet on July 5, I believe they have to pay. There is also a Tynpotwald Garden Party - a great strain on the budget and hardly the best use of resources. 

A real sign of appreciation would be a specially commissioned watch by Bremont. Has anyone seen the new TT watch? £5000+, the TT winners get a specially designed watch in addition to prize money. 

Do they have to pay now...I was doing night guard at the Villa Marina and the Tynwald banquet about 2006/7 and they had no end of guests from all over including matelots from the honour guard that year. Admiral Haddacks was then Governor...Some of the girls were from Govt offices and they cleaned me out of biros and scraps of paper on the front desk the sailors swapping details for dates... Not with me the girls I mean..Did they all pay for dinner tickets....I thought a lot of girls were there like the meat in a sandwich,,

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I wasn’t suggesting that the Marshall’s use the July 5 Tynpotwald Banquet and gatecrash, but was trying to use it as a case in point. 

I wonder how many of the volunteer marshals have received recognition via the honours system (BEM, MBE and OBE). Yes there are many in receipt of honours for services to charity. Incidentally I am aware the CoC has a BEM and MBE. 

These are race marshalls, not Field Marshalls. You know the difference , yeah ?

Sad to see on facebook, that Peter Hickman is blaming the scrutineers for his failure to win in the senior today.

He said he wanted the same bike he won on yesterday to race today as they were aware they had problems with the other bike.

The scrutineers btw wanted the race winning bike stripped down for inspection as is the norm, but hickman says they should have just sealed the engine.

You came second mate, get over it and stop taking the glory away from the winner. ( Dean Harrison )

I fucking hate bad losers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

These are race marshalls, not Field Marshalls. You know the difference , yeah ?

Yes you are spot on. Let’s face it though, if there was a chance of somebody being given an official honour, I would say that it’s highly that the top official would be rewarded. Do you think the top TT Marshall would be rewarded with a official honour? I very much doubt it. The Isle of Mans set of honours are usually given to those embedded in the establishment, charity and politicos. However, if you want to get rid of a long established politico or civil servant, the carrot of an honour if they retire early may have a bearing on a decision.

I thought it was normal practice to strip the engines of the first three plus one other, after a race?

Purely application of normal procedures. Michael Dunlop was excluded a couple of years ago on account of engine irregularities.  Who was the guy, early noughties, who was found to be running a 600 in the 400 class, allegedly having "borrowed" the spare engine?

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Yes you are spot on. Let’s face it though, if there was a chance of somebody being given an official honour, I would say that it’s highly that the top official would be rewarded. Do you think the top TT Marshall would be rewarded with a official honour? I very much doubt it. The Isle of Mans set of honours are usually given to those embedded in the establishment, charity and politicos. However, if you want to get rid of a long established politico or civil servant, the carrot of an honour if they retire early may have a bearing on a decision.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

48 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Makes you wonder who controls the marshals?

No doubt it’s the marshals’ Marshal.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I thought it was normal practice to strip the engines of the first three plus one other, after a race?

Purely application of normal procedures. Michael Dunlop was excluded a couple of years ago on account of engine irregularities.  Who was the guy, early noughties, who was found to be running a 600 in the 400 class, allegedly having "borrowed" the spare engine?

There has been a few. I want to know the history of hailwoods winning Ducati engine. (and where it went to .):thumbsup:

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

There has been a few. I want to know the history of hailwoods winning Ducati engine. (and where it went to .):thumbsup:

Would this be the one that "seized" crossing the line and couldn't be noise-checked...? :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Would this be the one that "seized" crossing the line and couldn't be noise-checked...? :ph34r:

All I am saying is that that win on the ducati was more a miracle than jesus escape from the tomb

35 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Dilligaf, I've marshalled for over 10 years on the mountain , same spot , I wouldn't want to be paid  happy do it for nothing ,we are down to minimum numbers on occasions (2or 3)

I agree that at some marshalling points they are mob handed ,it's the best way to get a ringside seat out of the fog and rain, even get free tea and coffee at the Creg:D and when the roads reopen they can leave  , if the alternative is to stand on scaffolding unprotected from the weather at say Casey's Advanced  on your jack in the wind and rain and in the past till after 11.00 pm ( until all the signage and cones have been replaced ) and the convoy is allowed to exit the mountain I s'pose it's understandable:lol:

One can't have vehicles on the road to protect the DOI chaps (H&S ) however at MGP the "Roads Open Car" guns through at speed followed by lunatics on bikes and cars  while marshals are still walking on the road back to their bikes/cars  in the dark hoping they don't get wiped out  , funny old world   ( the marshals are dispensable and free the DOI  chaps cost money ) so Mr Callister spare me the "Marshals are valued " cobblers . :angry:

When you sign on you accept that you are prepared to be stationed where needed it clearly isn't working as evidenced by 16-18 marshals at Gov Bridge:lol:

I don't attend the 'Marshals Supper' or want a banquet or a 'share' of  'The award for the spirit of the TT' I would much prefer that the poor souls who   are out in the open or in open sentry   huts on the mountain or other exposed posts ( not me I'm in a hut:rolleyes:)  were provided with a free  full set of wet weather gear  to make their life a bit easier ,.

I am resigned to the  "management" congratulating themselves , giving it large to the press and in the VIP tent and alleging that they really value the marshals  , it gives some of us to laugh at , as Capt Mannering would say "Fine words butter no parsnips":lol:  .

Sorry rant over ,:D:flowers:

• Like 1

IIRC a well known Honda UK rider in the mid 90s was found to have race fuel in the tank of his Production race-winning bike by post race scrutineering. Oddly, never mentioned...?