Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

3 minutes ago, paswt said:

Dilligaf, I've marshalled for over 10 years on the mountain , same spot , I wouldn't want to be paid  happy do it for nothing ,we are down to minimum numbers on occasions (2or 3)

I agree that at some marshalling points they are mob handed ,it's the best way to get a ringside seat out of the fog and rain, even get free tea and coffee at the Creg:D and when the roads reopen they can leave  , if the alternative is to stand on scaffolding unprotected from the weather at say Casey's Advanced  on your jack in the wind and rain and in the past till after 11.00 pm ( until all the signage and cones have been replaced ) and the convoy is allowed to exit the mountain I s'pose it's understandable:lol:

One can't have vehicles on the road to protect the DOI chaps (H&S ) however at MGP the "Roads Open Car" guns through at speed followed by lunatics on bikes and cars  while marshals are still walking on the road back to their bikes/cars  in the dark hoping they don't get wiped out  , funny old world   ( the marshals are dispensable and free the DOI  chaps cost money ) so Mr Callister spare me the "Marshals are valued " cobblers . :angry:

When you sign on you accept that you are prepared to be stationed where needed it clearly isn't working as evidenced by 16-18 marshals at Gov Bridge:lol:

I don't attend the 'Marshals Supper' or want a banquet or a 'share' of  'The award for the spirit of the TT' I would much prefer that the poor souls who   are out in the open or in open sentry   huts on the mountain or other exposed posts ( not me I'm in a hut:rolleyes:)  were provided with a free  full set of wet weather gear  to make their life a bit easier ,.

I am resigned to the  "management" congratulating themselves , giving it large to the press and in the VIP tent and alleging that they really value the marshals  , it gives some of us to laugh at , as Capt Mannering would say "Fine words butter no parsnips":lol:  .

Sorry rant over ,:D:flowers:

A more welcome rant I’ve yet to read...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paswt said:

Dilligaf, I've marshalled for over 10 years on the mountain , same spot , I wouldn't want to be paid  happy do it for nothing ,we are down to minimum numbers on occasions (2or 3)

I agree that at some marshalling points they are mob handed ,it's the best way to get a ringside seat out of the fog and rain, even get free tea and coffee at the Creg:D and when the roads reopen they can leave  , if the alternative is to stand on scaffolding unprotected from the weather at say Casey's Advanced  on your jack in the wind and rain and in the past till after 11.00 pm ( until all the signage and cones have been replaced ) and the convoy is allowed to exit the mountain I s'pose it's understandable:lol:

One can't have vehicles on the road to protect the DOI chaps (H&S ) however at MGP the "Roads Open Car" guns through at speed followed by lunatics on bikes and cars  while marshals are still walking on the road back to their bikes/cars  in the dark hoping they don't get wiped out  , funny old world   ( the marshals are dispensable and free the DOI  chaps cost money ) so Mr Callister spare me the "Marshals are valued " cobblers . :angry:

When you sign on you accept that you are prepared to be stationed where needed it clearly isn't working as evidenced by 16-18 marshals at Gov Bridge:lol:

I don't attend the 'Marshals Supper' or want a banquet or a 'share' of  'The award for the spirit of the TT' I would much prefer that the poor souls who   are out in the open or in open sentry   huts on the mountain or other exposed posts ( not me I'm in a hut:rolleyes:)  were provided with a free  full set of wet weather gear  to make their life a bit easier ,.

I am resigned to the  "management" congratulating themselves , giving it large to the press and in the VIP tent and alleging that they really value the marshals  , it gives some of us to laugh at , as Capt Mannering would say "Fine words butter no parsnips":lol:  .

Sorry rant over ,:D:flowers:

You and people like you are the salt of the earth, and the backbone of the TT. You are most certainly respected and admired for what you do. 

That is what annoys me when I see large groups of marshalls at points where they are not needed. However the adverts and plees for marshalls does 

say they can get the best viewing spots.

I no longer watch the bikes, but I do appreciate what you do :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IIRC a well known Honda UK rider in the mid 90s was found to have race fuel in the tank of his Production race-winning bike by post race scrutineering. Oddly, never mentioned...?

What about M Grant thumping his tank ( in glee ?????) to reduce it's size. ( hero to zero in 3 seconds ) There have been many cheats in the history of the TT, but not all were made public.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, Gizo said:

So someone killed on the Sloc. 

this is the TT bonanza, come on over and we’ll send you home in a body bag. Roll up, roll up.

Of course if we attracted a similar number of tourists to any other event, none would ever be killed or injured on the roads while visiting. Safest in the world when the TT isn't on :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Just published on the IOM Newspapers website, the Queens Birthday Honours ................... guess what?

no sign of an official honour for a TT/MGPFOM Marshal. There is an OBE for Mr El Presidente of Tynpotwald, Mr Rodan.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48962&headline=Tynwald president's delight at OBE&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

He deserves this honour for his bagpipe playing alone .:lol: FFS, How to lower the value of an award.

Was Tony Fox afforded the same press time ? No , thought not, even though he has done 1,000,000 times more than Rodan for us.

Edited by dilligaf

1 hour ago, bloodycomeover said:

Of course if we attracted a similar number of tourists to any other event, none would ever be killed or injured on the roads while visiting. Safest in the world when the TT isn't on :rolleyes:

I bet even you don't know the point you're failing to make any more.

• Like 1

I should have asked my hubby regards any further racing but he was at some Spirit of the TT Award to the Marshals. He does the mountain as like many others, although isn't able to leave until the roads closed vehicle and convoy takes him back to the Creg. He said he does it because there's a need for volunteers to help out and I find it strange in a way because he's not bothered with motorbikes or the racing, but wants to make sure the riders and past traditions continue to go as safe as they can. Personally, I think they ride too fast and too much is made of lap records. 

I would like to see some type of award for marshals who have done 30 years or more in a sort of long service award and I don't mean to ridicule the military's long service awards, because voluntary Marshals only do 2 or 4 weeks of the year if you take in the Classic motorbike race later in the year and its nowhere near the same, but....... I'd like to see awards given for 30 years to start with and maybe a 20 years award as well once established.

Is it possible? Does anyone else think its a reasonable idea but needs some tweaking? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manxy said:

I should have asked my hubby regards any further racing but he was at some Spirit of the TT Award to the Marshals. He does the mountain as like many others, although isn't able to leave until the roads closed vehicle and convoy takes him back to the Creg. He said he does it because there's a need for volunteers to help out and I find it strange in a way because he's not bothered with motorbikes or the racing, but wants to make sure the riders and past traditions continue to go as safe as they can. Personally, I think they ride too fast and too much is made of lap records. 

I would like to see some type of award for marshals who have done 30 years or more in a sort of long service award and I don't mean to ridicule the military's long service awards, because voluntary Marshals only do 2 or 4 weeks of the year if you take in the Classic motorbike race later in the year and its nowhere near the same, but....... I'd like to see awards given for 30 years to start with and maybe a 20 years award as well once established.

Is it possible? Does anyone else think its a reasonable idea but needs some tweaking? 

I agree, a long service award would be some recognition. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the TT visitor numbers are way down on previous years. Will be interesting to read/hear what the DfE member responsible for motor sport has to say about that.

47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm pretty sure the TT visitor numbers are way down on previous years. Will be interesting to read/hear what the DfE member responsible for motor sport has to say about that.

Must have heard the horsetrams weren't running the full length off the prom, so decided to stay away. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And has Martin's village project ("it's got to be viable") been affected by lower numbers?

Well if Martin can’t make the new site pay for want of ‘commercial contracts’ being negotiated; between the DfE and Douglas Corporation they might just have killed the TT entertainment and hospitality industry. When are we going to put sensible commercial considerations to ensure the long term viability of this sort of stuff ahead of government greed? Perhaps next year between Hooded Ram and Bushes there will be no beer tent on the prom? Seems to me Government has fleeced this event to the point that nobody else can now make money out of it commercially. God forbid then we’ll have to have the DfE beer tent staffed by civil servants on triple time that closes at 7:30 so they can all go home and watch telly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Couple of publicans I'm acquainted with have both told me they've had their best year for some time on drink and food sales. Hardly surprising given the lack of other things available because of the weather.

• Like 1