Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, quilp said:

Believe it or not...

_20190608_093005.JPG

But weren't last years figured revisited/adjusted downwards because IOMSPCo numbers were incorrect?

ETA: Seems our postings crossed.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Now we need to have the air passenger arrivals to add to the Steam Packet figure so we get total visitors.

We travelled to island after 6 weeks away, on 26/5. For all sorts of reasons it was a one way ticket. Are we included in the 35,900?

Odd press release, Id be saying "nearly 36,000" rather than more than 35,000 and "13,500" rather than more than 13,000 in the strap

line.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But weren't last years figured revisited/adjusted downwards because IOMSPCo numbers were incorrect?

ETA: Seems our postings crossed.

I thought it was upwards..? To great fanfare..?

On 6/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, Kopek said:

Avoidable deaths are not acceptable in any ratio, it is callous to try to justify them by numbers!

Then you'll be banning pretty much all leisure activities. Especially those reached by a car journey. That would have been 1770 potentially avoidable deaths last year in GB alone.

1 hour ago, bloodycomeover said:

Then you'll be banning pretty much all leisure activities. Especially those reached by a car journey. That would have been 1770 potentially avoidable deaths last year in GB alone.

Idiot. How do you come to that conclusion?

4 hours ago, bloodycomeover said:

You've jumped the shark from misguided supporter to wind-up merchant with that one!

I saw a thread on the IOMNP Facebook page on Friday, from a concerned person who rightly observed that bikers were being denied shelter at the Sea Terminal as the powers that be locked the building up till the morning. There were bikers waiting for later boats and morning boats. Surely the Politicos who like to claim they have a finger on the pulse., could have made arrangements for the building to be kept open, and shelter for travellers. 

I spoke to a person heavily involved in Motorsports and is a current Marshall who said he couldn’t believe  the Sea  Terminal being shut. Coupled with the fiasco of queuing at the airport, really positive publicity!

• Like 3

Many travel hubs close at night. If travelling I check in advance and if necessary book additional accommodation. Its not rocket science.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had an email from a Marshal going home who was a bit brassed off with the surly attitude of the jobsworth security employees insisting on searching/ frisking the bikers on their return and insisting that the gas canisters on their camping gas stoves were emptied   (creating a cloud of gas adjacent to bikers smoking ) and confiscating knives ( don't know if that would include a "leatherman" which is an integral part of a bikers toolkit IMHO). 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I saw a thread on the IOMNP Facebook page on Friday, from a concerned person who rightly observed that bikers were being denied shelter at the Sea Terminal as the powers that be locked the building up till the morning. There were bikers waiting for later boats and morning boats. Surely the Politicos who like to claim they have a finger on the pulse., could have made arrangements for the building to be kept open, and shelter for travellers. 

I spoke to a person heavily involved in Motorsports and is a current Marshall who said he couldn’t believe  the Sea  Terminal being shut. Coupled with the fiasco of queuing at the airport, really positive publicity!

Edited by paswt

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Many travel hubs close at night. If travelling I check in advance and if necessary book additional accommodation. Its not rocket science.

When you are camping and have a very early start , I could be wrong but I think there may be a paucity of accommodation available , particularly for a single night on the island.

:flowers:

1 minute ago, paswt said:

Had an email from a Marshal going home who was a bit brassed off with the surly attitude of the jobsworth security employees insisting on searching/ frisking the bikers on their return and insisting that the gas canisters on their camping gas stoves  (creating a cloud of gas adjacent to bikers smoking ) and confiscating knives ( don't know if that would include a "leatherman" which is an integral part of a bikers toolkit IMHO). 

Sorry, but what's wrong with that? :o

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 2112 said:

So the person who is heavily involved in the event couldn't believe the sea terminal was closed despite the fact it hasnt been opened at night for probably about 15 years? 

Can't be that heavily involved if he is that shocked 

Edited by thommo2010

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

Ok. lets phone around the Isle of Man boarding houses and ask for one night during the TT.When Lord Lucan answers and says, ive a room, let me know.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:45 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

This is fast turning into the most weather messed up TT in living memory.

What a contrast to last year!

1981, was much worse , it rained night and day for the whole fortnight, except for a couple of hours on the second wednesday,but the bikes went out on treaded tyres,not something i agree with, i remember it clearly.as ive still got 70 odd pictures of that TT,this weeks practice has been poor, and the wind on tuesday evening,was even causing problems in low lying areas too,never heard if that was behind Ian Hutchinsons off at the 11th milestone?