Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Was talking to a group of blokes in the pub who were staying in very sub-standard accommodation. It was filthy, cramped, no proper beds or facilities. Two of them opted for the shed apparently. I'm sure the property wasn't registered as it would never have passed. I felt really embarrassed for these guys and hope they complained. They paid a fortune to get here and it didn't sound like they'd come again after this experience. Too many people see T.T. as a chance to rip off our visitors. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Idiot. How do you come to that conclusion?

"Avoidable deaths are not acceptable in any ratio" (But I must be an idiot because I forgot that deaths are only bad if they involve a road closure)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bloodycomeover said:

"Avoidable deaths are not acceptable in any ratio" (But I must be an idiot because I forgot that deaths are only bad if they involve a road closure)

what is the death toll this year? seems to be more public than competitors and fairly low but i haven't heard much radio.

Edited by WTF

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

what is the death toll this year? seems to be more public than competitors and fairly low but i haven't heard much radio.

1 in the racing. 2 on the open roads

..........but how many accidents requiring hospital treatment and how many of the '' life changing '' type??? We are never told of these.

Is it a conspiracy to keep these figures from the public? How can a judgment be made if all the facts are not in the public domain?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bloodycomeover said:

Wow just fucking wow - your fixation on road closures and blatant avoidance of factual and well informed objections to the TT are bewildering and belligerent in equal measure.

There will be another memorial lap for another dead one organised soon with the usual false platitudes (knew the risks, what he would have wanted, doing what he loved, free choice, road warriors, fallen heroes, true sportsmen etc etc etc).

Trot out the same platitudes when one of the1000's of hand ringing death glorifying Sunday afternoon bikers who assemble with no self awareness inevitably dies on a memorial lap - may already have happened - the irony will have a new level and the sound of the penny finally dropping will be deafening.

The bloke who organises these things is all over FB saying thank you to riders for giving items to sell for the Just Giving page of Daley Mathison - well intentioned I am sure and actually quite admirable - but auctioning a signed broken wheel from Ian Hutchinson who survived a crash in the same week might appear a bit crass.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2019 at 10:33 AM, Andy Onchan said:

But weren't last years figured revisited/adjusted downwards because IOMSPCo numbers were incorrect?

ETA: Seems our postings crossed.

Govt runs it now so the figures will be spot on.

• Haha 4

On 6/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, MrPB said:

Seems to me Government has fleeced this event to the point that nobody else can now make money out of it commercially. God forbid then we’ll have to have the DfE beer tent staffed by civil servants on triple time that closes at 7:30 so they can all go home and watch telly. 

7.30?? You're having a Turkish. 5.30 provided they don't all want to use up their flexitime, then it'll be 3.30 if you're lucky.

4 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Wow just fucking wow - your fixation on road closures and blatant avoidance of factual and well informed objections to the TT are bewildering and belligerent in equal measure.

There will be another memorial lap for another dead one organised soon with the usual false platitudes (knew the risks, what he would have wanted, doing what he loved, free choice, road warriors, fallen heroes, true sportsmen etc etc etc).

Trot out the same platitudes when one of the1000's of hand ringing death glorifying Sunday afternoon bikers who assemble with no self awareness inevitably dies on a memorial lap - may already have happened - the irony will have a new level and the sound of the penny finally dropping will be deafening.

The bloke who organises these things is all over FB saying thank you to riders for giving items to sell for the Just Giving page of Daley Mathison - well intentioned I am sure and actually quite admirable - but auctioning a signed broken wheel from Ian Hutchinson who survived a crash in the same week might appear a bit crass.

Your spot on with the lack of self awareness bit, anyone else notice how they get off their bikes then wander aimlessly all over the roads then seem genuinely surprised to find other traffic trying to use said roads.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Was talking to a group of blokes in the pub who were staying in very sub-standard accommodation. It was filthy, cramped, no proper beds or facilities. Two of them opted for the shed apparently. I'm sure the property wasn't registered as it would never have passed. I felt really embarrassed for these guys and hope they complained. They paid a fortune to get here and it didn't sound like they'd come again after this experience. Too many people see T.T. as a chance to rip off our visitors. 

First thing I would have asked was where was it?

Where was it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

1 in the racing. 2 on the open roads

Deaths in competition: I've always taken the view that it's their life and their choice. My view of the racing is neutral. I watched a bit when we first came to the Island, but I'm not an enthusiast so it's a bit "when you've seen it, you've seen it" for me. I know it's a big tradition on the Island with lots of enthusiasts from far and near, so I wouldn't dream of saying it should be stopped as some do. I can take the road inconvenience. It's only four weeks a year and less of a pain than the bloody rallies.

I do wonder though, would it be worth exploring making the reduced lap races that take place in bad weather the standard for all conditions? Maybe make the 4 lap races 2 laps and the 6 lap Senior 4 laps. I would have thought 75 miles/150 miles at those speeds is testing enough for man and machine. 6 laps is pushing 230 miles. That's a lot of distance for concentration when you are talking 200mph! Then there is always the unexpected like a pheasant flies out of a hedge at you.

I have no doubt that the purists would howl at the suggestion, but if it cut down the number of deaths, as it surely would, and improved the reputation of "the world's deadliest race" it might perpetuate the event for the future. As things stand, there is always the awful feeling that it is one almighty conflagration away from the end. Pile up writing off half a dozen competitors and spectators at high speed, or bike flies into someones living room window at high velocity and explodes, demolishing house and residents. Reducing the mileage would reduce the risk. Puts on tin hat in anticipation.

• Like 4

.... but f the IOM races were stopped,  along with other road races, NW and Ireland, these racers would find their kicks at circuit races and be much safer because of the attitude and safety measures employed at these circuits.

Our financial loss but to the gain of less pain and misery of the competitors and the travelling supporters who are caught up in the carnage without the 'they know the risks' excuse.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

First thing I would have asked was where was it?

Where was it?

Sefton.

• Haha 3