Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Deaths in competition: I've always taken the view that it's their life and their choice. My view of the racing is neutral. I watched a bit when we first came to the Island, but I'm not an enthusiast so it's a bit "when you've seen it, you've seen it" for me. I know it's a big tradition on the Island with lots of enthusiasts from far and near, so I wouldn't dream of saying it should be stopped as some do. I can take the road inconvenience. It's only four weeks a year and less of a pain than the bloody rallies.

I do wonder though, would it be worth exploring making the reduced lap races that take place in bad weather the standard for all conditions? Maybe make the 4 lap races 2 laps and the 6 lap Senior 4 laps. I would have thought 75 miles/150 miles at those speeds is testing enough for man and machine. 6 laps is pushing 230 miles. That's a lot of distance for concentration when you are talking 200mph! Then there is always the unexpected like a pheasant flies out of a hedge at you.

I have no doubt that the purists would howl at the suggestion, but if it cut down the number of deaths, as it surely would, and improved the reputation of "the world's deadliest race" it might perpetuate the event for the future. As things stand, there is always the awful feeling that it is one almighty conflagration away from the end. Pile up writing off half a dozen competitors and spectators at high speed, or bike flies into someones living room window at high velocity and explodes, demolishing house and residents. Reducing the mileage would reduce the risk. Puts on tin hat in anticipation.

Ive always thought the lap numbers were too much,4 laps of the Senior is enough to prove man and machine,the sidecars have the right amount imop.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, woolley said:

Deaths in competition: I've always taken the view that it's their life and their choice. My view of the racing is neutral. I watched a bit when we first came to the Island, but I'm not an enthusiast so it's a bit "when you've seen it, you've seen it" for me. I know it's a big tradition on the Island with lots of enthusiasts from far and near, so I wouldn't dream of saying it should be stopped as some do. I can take the road inconvenience. It's only four weeks a year and less of a pain than the bloody rallies.

I do wonder though, would it be worth exploring making the reduced lap races that take place in bad weather the standard for all conditions? Maybe make the 4 lap races 2 laps and the 6 lap Senior 4 laps. I would have thought 75 miles/150 miles at those speeds is testing enough for man and machine. 6 laps is pushing 230 miles. That's a lot of distance for concentration when you are talking 200mph! Then there is always the unexpected like a pheasant flies out of a hedge at you.

I have no doubt that the purists would howl at the suggestion, but if it cut down the number of deaths, as it surely would, and improved the reputation of "the world's deadliest race" it might perpetuate the event for the future. As things stand, there is always the awful feeling that it is one almighty conflagration away from the end. Pile up writing off half a dozen competitors and spectators at high speed, or bike flies into someones living room window at high velocity and explodes, demolishing house and residents. Reducing the mileage would reduce the risk. Puts on tin hat in anticipation.

The MGP was cut from 6 laps to 4 in 1993 as it was felt that the full distance was too much for amateur riders. It didn't have an impact on the accident rate. I always preferred 6 lap races, believe me they pass very quickly when you are on the bike. What seems to have reduced the accident rate is limiting the number of starters in each race, as it is bound to, fewer riders = fewer accidents and being much more selective in who is eligible to start a TT or MGP. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MrPB said:

That link is dead now.

obviously 'ran out of talent'

Edited by CharlieBrown
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Where did Guy Martin come?

In the back of his van.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Sefton was done for hygiene. It was about 10 years ago, but done they was.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The Sefton was done for hygiene. It was about 10 years ago, but done they was.

And the Creg ny Baa about 15 ish years ago too, IIRC. Loft space full of pigeons all crapping through a hole in the kitchen ceilings onto the pots and pans below. :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, bloodycomeover said:

Then you'll be banning pretty much all leisure activities. Especially those reached by a car journey. That would have been 1770 potentially avoidable deaths last year in GB alone.

Down from over 3000 in living memory....

If the pigeons are in the loft and the kitchen is on the ground floor, is it possible for the crap to go through the room in between???

Fake News?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Where did Guy Martin come?

By his own admission, in his van.

ETA - beat me by hours Max Power...sorry!!

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

If the pigeons are in the loft and the kitchen is on the ground floor, is it possible for the crap to go through the room in between???

Fake News?

I think the kitchen was out the back in a single storied building with a loft. But the facts of the case are different to what is on here.

The message isn't getting across. Who is at fault for that?