Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

I hadn't realised that they had shifted to publishing these quarterly rather than monthly this year.  From a practical viewpoint it seems pointless as they have to make monthly returns to the CAA in any case and filling in a pro-forma press release can hardly take a lot of time, given that they should be reviewing the figures regularly anyway.  It's not like they're short of desk-jockeys to produce stuff, but it seems to part of the developing civil service ethos that the public should be informed as little and infrequently as possible.

They're not even hiding much as the CAA publish the monthly figures anyway - in fact it often came out before the IOMG ones when they were published monthly.  Here are the April totals, May will be out fairly soon.  It's not even like they are bad, though you need to careful because of the effects of the date of Easter.

(Hope this has enough cynicism dripping of it).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Please, please, do not suggest Marshalls get given whistles the whole I am in charge scenario would be manic, you only have to see how some of the referees start acting when they get hold of one.    Slightly off topic does anyone remember the old song.   His little wooden whistle wouldn't whistle ?   My god they knew how to write songs in the day.

Nothing gets attention like a good Acme Thunderer! Better than someone shouting 'Hey you, gerroff the fuckin' road!'

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Nothing gets attention like a good Acme Thunderer! Better than someone shouting 'Hey you, gerroff the fuckin' road!'

Strange how when we marshal for the cycling around the TT course, whistles are standard issue yet not for something like the TT

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Strange how when we marshal for the cycling around the TT course, whistles are standard issue yet not for something like the TT

For the cycling, marshals whistle to warn those further down the course that riders are approaching. So, effectively the opposite, as it's meaning no crossing.

27 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

For the cycling, marshals whistle to warn those further down the course that riders are approaching. So, effectively the opposite, as it's meaning no crossing.

Not a bad idea IMHO , would beat shouting to a marshal attending an incident with his/her back to the traffic that another competitor is approaching.

just saying:flowers:

• Like 2

I don't think with the speeds being done a Marshall would have time to leg it but certainly worth considering.   I remember when coppers used to have whistles.

There was a guy who was involved with the grandstand pit lane, parc firma etc who introduced a whistle - rather than shout like a bastard at 100 revving bikes that they could now take their bikes onto Glencrutchery Road start line. It was an excellent idea and worked very well but they sacked him. He was from England and did not realise the golden rules of the Isle of Man - no idea no matter how good or sensible, will be accepted unless it comes from (or is made to appear to come from) a senior Manx member of an organisation. This phenomenon is most striking in government.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I don't think with the speeds being done a Marshall would have time to leg it but certainly worth considering.   I remember when coppers used to have whistles.

Perhaps you are right at some points , where I marshal I'd hope to have 4 seconds. Just saying:flowers:

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, the stinking enigma said:

They are not shark infested waters. Cars aren't invisible. absolute overreaction that's just getting worse.

At what point would you make it illegal?

10 minutes before a race?

5 minutes?

30 seconds?

Only after a car/bike has had to swerve or emergency stop?

• Thanks 1

Any one else hear about dave molly getting a 3 month ban of acu for verbal abuse of the staff in the race office after sidecar TT , something to do with taking a dog up on grandstand when race was on  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben dover said:

Any one else hear about dave molly getting a 3 month ban of acu for verbal abuse of the staff in the race office after sidecar TT , something to do with taking a dog up on grandstand when race was on  

I heard that he had been given a ban but wasn't party to why? He isn't known for his sweet personality.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben dover said:

Usually he knocks shit out of women, least he’s toned that down. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gizo said:

Usually he knocks shit out of women, least he’s toned that down. 

Should be sponsored by Stella Artois perhaps?

13 hours ago, Max Power said:

I heard that he had been given a ban but wasn't party to why? He isn't known for his sweet personality.

He'd had a "passenger malfunction" during the race as well apparently and wasn't in the best frame of mind over that either, by all accounts?

On 6/15/2019 at 9:58 PM, bloodycomeover said:

At what point would you make it illegal?

10 minutes before a race?

5 minutes?

30 seconds?

Only after a car/bike has had to swerve or emergency stop?

About 10 mins before the start is fine. Emotions can't change the laws of physics relating to space/time. I haven't researched the other laws.

• Haha 1