Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

There's not much chance of someone being killed by crossing a road 10 minutes before racing starts. Things are starting to get a bit hysterical now.

A new TT revenue stream, well done Rob! 

43 minutes ago, Max Power said:

And another one bites the dust...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=49011&fbclid=IwAR3s2FsFPMbpYAvHkVxpqT4Mnh02OkUghcQNr4DiKf7YwCsrsCsn9s-TNDc

I think a concerted effort to get the message across is needed, sooner that than just collecting huge fines until someone is killed.

What you on about, death is part and parcel of the event it’s what brings the “fans” to the isle in the first place. 

You’d think they’d be warning signs everywhere about not entering the “track”, so much so they’d be flyers on the boat and airports telling visitors such but you see the Gov are earning £1000 a time here so no way are they losing this cash cow. 

13 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Has anybody ever been killed at the north west or the Ulster gp by crossing the road while there was no racing on? 

They have had spectators hurt and killed but I'm not sure about crossing the roads? It's like everything on the IoM these days, we over react to everything without proper perspective. People need proper warnings, expecting them to know and understand the ramifications just because we do is not enough. many people are new to the event, every year!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:27 AM, Declan said:

I can see a lot of bands, read a lot of books, watch a lot of sunsets, see my team win a lot in 88 years. It's not a binary choice is it -  Live fast, die young OR have a long miserable life.

There's been nothing but carnage since the Tufty club folded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

The message isn't getting across. Who is at fault for that?

Maybe the minister with responsibility for just about everything good on the island might be able to answer that...

ETA - I WAS JOKING...

Edited by Neil Down

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

The message isn't getting across. Who is at fault for that?

Well not Jane Hughes obviously! She seems to splutter and dribble over these terrrible miscreants who have crossed a road before any bikes are release without taking into account that there are not any bikes on the roads.

Maybe there should be a law against closing the roads before there is any prospect of racing taking place.?

48 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Well not Jane Hughes obviously! She seems to splutter and dribble over these terrrible miscreants who have crossed a road before any bikes are release without taking into account that there are not any bikes on the roads.

Maybe there should be a law against closing the roads before there is any prospect of racing taking place.?

But it's not just racing bikes there's the likes of the travelling marshalls etc possibly on the road 

54 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

But it's not just racing bikes there's the likes of the travelling marshalls etc possibly on the road 

Not forgetting course inspection vehicles

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Not forgetting course inspection vehicles

Not forgetting the cash cars at £1500 a seat. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Not forgetting the cash cars at £1500 a seat. 

Fools and their money eh

Yes, I realise that there are other vehicles that can be legally sent out onto the closed roads. My argument is that delay after delay ofthe races realisticallly taking place is being taken the piss out of and that there are times when the roads should not be 'declared' as being closed for another hour and another hour...........until finally being declared as open late in the afternoon

Dare I say that the reason the the races/practicing is delayed time and again is because this would increase that risk to the top runners, the famous few, not the inexperienced amateurs at the back end of the grid who can crash on a clear day???

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Yes, I realise that there are other vehicles that can be legally sent out onto the closed roads. My argument is that delay after delay ofthe races realisticallly taking place is being taken the piss out of and that there are times when the roads should not be 'declared' as being closed for another hour and another hour...........until finally being declared as open late in the afternoon

Dare I say that the reason the the races/practicing is delayed time and again is because this would increase that risk to the top runners, the famous few, not the inexperienced amateurs at the back end of the grid who can crash on a clear day???

Have you reported your "thinking cap" as missing , believed stolen ?

• Haha 1

I'd suggest that road closures extended because of weather or other delays are far less now than they used to be.

I personally think that Gary Thompson has made some good calls in recent years re. this, certainly in comparison with his predecessor who had roads closed from 10am until 9pm in a few instances with delay after delay and still no racing at the end of it.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Max Power said:

People need proper warnings, expecting them to know and understand the ramifications just because we do is not enough. many people are new to the event, every year!

Lol, no chance while getting leathered is an integral part of watching TT.