Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

9 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Interestingly I’ve just had a chat with a mate who is a bit more knowledgeable than I am about road racing; apparently at the Irish races people are allowed to cross but only after a marshal has blown a whistle to show it’s safe which sort of sinks his defence really as I’m sure no marshals were blowing whistles.  

Actually it sort of explains what happened.  Because he says he asked a bystander if they could cross and they said yes.  It may be that he was effectively asking is someone had blown the whistle (as he would in NI).

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Interestingly I’ve just had a chat with a mate who is a bit more knowledgeable than I am about road racing; apparently at the Irish races people are allowed to cross but only after a marshal has blown a whistle to show it’s safe which sort of sinks his defence really as I’m sure no marshals were blowing whistles. 

There has been a general rise in issues with spectators over the last few years; I can’t help but wonder if this is related to no longer having the Police (auto predict just put police in as Power Lice!!) dotted around the course for the duration of the closure. 

I think it is connected to the lack of a police presence as you suggest.

There also seems an unwillingness by some marshals to hand out a few stiff but polite words, some enjoy the escalation of these incidents as they wouldn’t have much to do otherwise.

i think it’s significant that the location of several transgressions are in the same sectors, maybe some are more understanding or lenient than others?

• Like 1

Please, please, do not suggest Marshalls get given whistles the whole I am in charge scenario would be manic, you only have to see how some of the referees start acting when they get hold of one.    Slightly off topic does anyone remember the old song.   His little wooden whistle wouldn't whistle ?   My god they knew how to write songs in the day.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Right on time. iomtoday covers the release of the Steamie's TT figures (sorry, can't link). Everything up on last year, passengers (+6%), bikes (+2%), cars and vans (+5%) Bookings for next year up too.

Airport yet to release figures but doubtless they'll be up too.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm

Your post is dripping with cynicism but I'm not really sure why. Could you assume I'm stupid (I am) and spell it out please.

Edited by piebaps

16 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Hmmmmm

Your post is dripping with cynicism but I'm not really sure why. Could you assume I'm stupid (I am) and spell it out please.

Neither. Just glass half full. You're clearly imagining something.

I merely noted that the figures have been published by the media and posted them for the sake of debate and interest. Which is the purpose of these boards, is it not?

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

I hadn't realised that they had shifted to publishing these quarterly rather than monthly this year.  From a practical viewpoint it seems pointless as they have to make monthly returns to the CAA in any case and filling in a pro-forma press release can hardly take a lot of time, given that they should be reviewing the figures regularly anyway.  It's not like they're short of desk-jockeys to produce stuff, but it seems to part of the developing civil service ethos that the public should be informed as little and infrequently as possible.

They're not even hiding much as the CAA publish the monthly figures anyway - in fact it often came out before the IOMG ones when they were published monthly.  Here are the April totals, May will be out fairly soon.  It's not even like they are bad, though you need to careful because of the effects of the date of Easter.

(Hope this has enough cynicism dripping of it).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Please, please, do not suggest Marshalls get given whistles the whole I am in charge scenario would be manic, you only have to see how some of the referees start acting when they get hold of one.    Slightly off topic does anyone remember the old song.   His little wooden whistle wouldn't whistle ?   My god they knew how to write songs in the day.

Nothing gets attention like a good Acme Thunderer! Better than someone shouting 'Hey you, gerroff the fuckin' road!'

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Nothing gets attention like a good Acme Thunderer! Better than someone shouting 'Hey you, gerroff the fuckin' road!'

Strange how when we marshal for the cycling around the TT course, whistles are standard issue yet not for something like the TT

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Strange how when we marshal for the cycling around the TT course, whistles are standard issue yet not for something like the TT

For the cycling, marshals whistle to warn those further down the course that riders are approaching. So, effectively the opposite, as it's meaning no crossing.

27 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

For the cycling, marshals whistle to warn those further down the course that riders are approaching. So, effectively the opposite, as it's meaning no crossing.

Not a bad idea IMHO , would beat shouting to a marshal attending an incident with his/her back to the traffic that another competitor is approaching.

just saying:flowers:

• Like 2

I don't think with the speeds being done a Marshall would have time to leg it but certainly worth considering.   I remember when coppers used to have whistles.

There was a guy who was involved with the grandstand pit lane, parc firma etc who introduced a whistle - rather than shout like a bastard at 100 revving bikes that they could now take their bikes onto Glencrutchery Road start line. It was an excellent idea and worked very well but they sacked him. He was from England and did not realise the golden rules of the Isle of Man - no idea no matter how good or sensible, will be accepted unless it comes from (or is made to appear to come from) a senior Manx member of an organisation. This phenomenon is most striking in government.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I don't think with the speeds being done a Marshall would have time to leg it but certainly worth considering.   I remember when coppers used to have whistles.

Perhaps you are right at some points , where I marshal I'd hope to have 4 seconds. Just saying:flowers:

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, the stinking enigma said:

They are not shark infested waters. Cars aren't invisible. absolute overreaction that's just getting worse.

At what point would you make it illegal?

10 minutes before a race?

5 minutes?

30 seconds?

Only after a car/bike has had to swerve or emergency stop?

• Thanks 1