Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

TT 2019 - Megathread

3 hours ago, Declan said:

And between events they could be some sort of standing army of busybodies. Directing traffic on the prom, checking everybody’s using the correct bin.  

This is a brilliant idea. I propose the title of Neighbourhood Community Officers, NCO - probably would become known as nosey cunt officials 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

One thing I am curious about is whether some of the shortages this MGP have been caused by bikers and supporters who have been alienated by the way the Mercer affair has been handled.  I know it's technically a different organisation running the FoM, but the CoC is the same and some may see it as the same sort of operation.

I suspect (and circumstantial evidence from FB threads backs this up) it has more to do with the price of travel putting people off. 

• Like 1

TT + Not enough Hotel Accomodation = Homestay (£1800 tax free)

Shortage of TT and Motorsports Marshalls - Volunteers & Training = Increased Personal Tax Allowance for IOM workers.

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I suspect (and circumstantial evidence from FB threads backs this up) it has more to do with the price of travel putting people off. 

Yes it’s expensive to come for TT/FOM but I always thought returning Marshalls got a reduced rate (unless I am very wrong).

To put the other side of the coin it's just taken us 36hrs to travel from Gatwick to here! with a well known air carrier! With the most appalling customer service known to man!

I won't bore you with the details unless you are really bothered but fog is of course a natural hazard however the way it is dealt with was not good.

34 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It is indeed. We had relatives over this weekend unrelated to FoM. Cost of putting car and a few pax on the boat was prohibitive. Ironically the best deal to get here was Easy Jet not owned by IOM Government as the fares on offer from the taxpayer owned sources were a complete rip off. Didn’t we buy the SPC to try to boost tourism? It doesn’t seem to be working that well does it? I wonder what the final FoM visitor numbers will look like if we are actively putting people off booking on the boat through aggressive pricing? 

The arrival figures will be gerrymandered by Government and Starship Enterprise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

It is indeed. We had relatives over this weekend unrelated to FoM. Cost of putting car and a few pax on the boat was prohibitive. Ironically the best deal to get here was Easy Jet not owned by IOM Government as the fares on offer from the taxpayer owned sources were a complete rip off. Didn’t we buy the SPC to try to boost tourism? It doesn’t seem to be working that well does it? I wonder what the final FoM visitor numbers will look like if we are actively putting people off booking on the boat through aggressive pricing? 

Too stupid to realize that once you kill the golden goose that feeds you you can't resurrect it!

Edited by finlo

I know of a couple of Marshalls who were disgusted with the way the ACU have treated Steve Mercer, after admitting liability now trying to discredit him in court suggesting that his injuries were not as serious as was being made out, and who said they were never going to Marshall again for any races.     Whether they changed their minds when the appeal went out I don't know they had marshalled for a long time and may have changed their minds but I do know a lot of people think this case has brought disrepute upon racing on the Island myself included.

21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I know of a couple of Marshalls who were disgusted with the way the ACU have treated Steve Mercer, after admitting liability now trying to discredit him in court suggesting that his injuries were not as serious as was being made out, and who said they were never going to Marshall again for any races.     Whether they changed their minds when the appeal went out I don't know they had marshalled for a long time and may have changed their minds but I do know a lot of people think this case has brought disrepute upon racing on the Island myself included.

Were they the same sort of Marshall that said they would turn their backs to the Subaru because they were not going to Marshall for a car on "their" bike course ?

IMHO they are not the sort of Marshalls "we" need. It isn't all about you, despite what that song suggested.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see either a Marshall’s or a riders strike over Mercer next year. If they can treat someone like Mercer like crap then pretty much they can treat anyone like crap to cover their asses when it all goes wrong for them. 

Don't be bloody stupid. This is an insurance company's windfall, as in how to not pay up. Think about it.

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Didn’t we buy the SPC to try to boost tourism? 

Where did you get this idea from? 

I don't agree that buying the SP was a good idea, but I haven't seen anything from our esteemed leaders that suggested that this had anything to do with it.

The ACU has not denied liability. That doesn't mean that they or more importantly their insurers will sign blank cheques. This is now a legal matter and is in the hands of the lawyers and the courts, to decide quantum. And all that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The people who bought it funnily enough. It will be good news for passengers apparently with fares frozen until new ships are purchased. I’m struggling to see how putting rip off fares on over the FoM will encourage people here when our stated objective is to try to drive the tourism sector. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47189

But it doesn’t say anything like you claim. Does it?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So where exactly does one find an up to date road closure list and their plans for tomorrow  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chutney said:

So where exactly does one find an up to date road closure list and their plans for tomorrow  

Roads close at 9.30, maybe, hopefully, possibly, probably, or maybe not!