Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

Change needed to protect staff from bullies

27 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Who accused you of anything? I note that you have not been party to any comment in this thread so far. So what a strange thing to seek to add totally unprompted and uninvited. All I said is that I have no idea who PK is. Clearly he’s such a local celebrity that I should apparently automatically know who he is. But I don’t. So he’s pretty much anonymous as far as I’m concerned. Unless he wants to send me a PM and out himself to enhance my knowledge. None of this bothers me one iota BTW. . 

It would appear that no matter what anybody posts on here, you are hell bent on making an issue out of it.

• Like 1

Any more of this tit for tat personal nonsense and there’ll be a sin bin suspension of 7 days for anyone who posted on here in the last 12 hours, whatever their contribution. Some of you need to calm down, and I can’t be arsed trawling through the drivel to work out who said what about whom.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Well, thank goodness for that. Now we can all sleep at night.

Being modesty personified, I'm grateful that nobody can accuse me of taking myself far too seriously. I only post because I feel the burden of a higher calling to share snippets of my colossal intellect with those less fortunate.

And we bless you for that oh great one.

• Haha 1

The question I would like answering is

a. are these workers really being "bullied" or is it they have been asked to do the job they are being paid for?

My wife worked for 18 months as a temp in the old department of transport in the sea terminal. She used to tell me of the number of permanent staff government workers who just didn't want to do their job. If they did, it was with minimum effort

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

a. are these workers really being "bullied" or is it they have been asked to do the job they are being paid for?

My wife worked for 18 months as a temp in the old department of transport in the sea terminal. She used to tell me of the number of permanent staff government workers who just didn't want to do their job. If they did, it was with minimum effort

And usually a good number signed off with "stress"...........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woolley said:

Being modesty personified, I'm grateful that nobody can accuse me of taking myself far too seriously. I only post because I feel the burden of a higher calling to share snippets of my colossal intellect with those less fortunate.

In which case hardly surprising there's a paucity of common sense around here.....

:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:
2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

And usually a good number signed off with "stress"...........

and far too many GPs willing to oblige and sign their "sick notes". It's all ££££. I've heard of a few GPs who won't sign these wasters off though and more power to their elbows

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Well it's possible that the slackers are the ones doing the bullying - after all they've got the time for it.  If they're going to turn on anyone, it could be the person beavering away, showing how little the rest of them are doing.  But most bullying comes from above and managers might also resent hard workers, either because they think they are after their jobs or because they disrupt their cosy lifestyle. 

If you look at the examples given in Bettison's speech, it tends to be those who are trying to change and improve things who are the recipients of bullying and other forms of pressure.  Meanwhile, as has often been commented on here, those responsible for what goes wrong are the ones who benefit (lines 3605 ff) :

As a nurse, I was struck by the feeling of frustration experienced by staff and the feeling that raising concerns was often simply not an option. This led to the situation in 2012 where staff anonymously contacted MHKs with concerns over surgical care for bowel patients on the Isle of Man. Staff had attempted to raise these concerns within the Hospital and theatre staff had in fact downed tools in theatre on one occasion refusing to work with a surgeon who was deemed as ‘dangerous’. The surgeons involved have all either left or been removed but often with full entitlement to pensions and having received payouts in some cases, further leading to reduced morale.

There have been a number of nurses who have been promoted despite multiple concerns being raised over their ability and there is a perception that where there are concerns people either get paid off or promoted. As you might expect this causes upset amongst staff. When concerns are raised the complainant is often deemed a troublemaker and this can make future employment problematic as there are very limited healthcare employment options without leaving the Island.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it's possible that the slackers are the ones doing the bullying - after all they've got the time for it.  If they're going to turn on anyone, it could be the person beavering away, showing how little the rest of them are doing.  But most bullying comes from above and managers might also resent hard workers, either because they think they are after their jobs or because they disrupt their cosy lifestyle. 

If you look at the examples given in Bettison's speech, it tends to be those who are trying to change and improve things who are the recipients of bullying and other forms of pressure.  Meanwhile, as has often been commented on here, those responsible for what goes wrong are the ones who benefit (lines 3605 ff) :

That's how I see it.

Unfortunately those at the top of the managerial tree calling the shots, Tynpotwalders, all too readily shy away from anything that might upset the status quo.

It's called leading from the rear.....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately those at the top of the managerial tree calling the shots, Tynpotwalders, all too readily shy away from anything that might upset the status quo.

It's called leading from the rear.....

Where can I find Kate Beecrofts comments about Couch ?

Edited by dilligaf

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Where can I find Kate Beecrofts comments about Couch ?

There were two times she mentioned him in last week's debate.  Once was about the bullying which I quoted earlier in the thread (from line 3444):

However, when I confronted the Chief Executive about one particular individual, he did not deny bullying them. He seemed to think that because he had decided that they, in his words, ‘had to go’, his behaviour was acceptable. I told him that even if they were not performing adequately it had to be dealt with in a civilised manner and that bullying would not be tolerated. Hon. Members, I am sure you all appreciate that when bullying starts at the top, it is little wonder that those bad behaviour patterns filter down through the organisation.

The second from line 3385 was about  the introduction of an independent health regulator.  Couch had told the PAC recently that this was about to happen and they were in discussion with the UK Care Quality Commission.  Beecroft concluded:

However, I would question how long it has taken for the Department to get to the stage of being in advanced talks with the CQC. Just before I was sacked, the Chief Executive told me that he was at an advanced stage of communication with the CQC and they were just working on some final details before it could come to the Department. That was 18 months ago

The latest Hansard update is here, but the URL will change again tomorrow (and so on till they have finished updating) and you need to go to the latest Rolling Hansard version from here.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

However, when I confronted the Chief Executive about one particular individual, he did not deny bullying them. He seemed to think that because he had decided that they, in his words, ‘had to go’, his behaviour was acceptable. I told him that even if they were not performing adequately it had to be dealt with in a civilised manner and that bullying would not be tolerated. Hon. Members, I am sure you all appreciate that when bullying starts at the top, it is little wonder that those bad behaviour patterns filter down through the organisation.

Thanks Roger,

The above was the exact piece I was looking for.

I can't understand why this piece was not exposed more, just to show where the biggest problem was.

For Couch to say that is disgusting and just shows why he has gone.

The person he was bullying was a very senior person who was worth 10 of him.

Boils my piss now that more is coming out now that the biggest bully has jumped ship.

I was never a big fan of Kate B, but she was spot on bringing this to the masses.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I was never a big fan of Kate B, but she was spot on bringing this to the masses.

I still find it amazing why Onchan’s finest MHK chose to noisily give Couch a reprieve by trying to blow the lid on Kate’s plans and actually succeeded in pretty much getting Kate sacked instead. We seem to have wasted an entire year plus of effort for Couch to go anyway and all this stuff come out in the wash. Maybe he is better occupied tracking down errant T-shirt manufacturers than this real world life and death sort of stuff? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1