Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Horse trams on the wrong track

36 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

This thing about the millionaire fireman. Someone has mentioned it on air a couple of times. I didn't believe it then or now - am I wrong?? Surely even the most senior and long serving fireman/person could not accrue that kind of pension pot, could they? 

Some government mischief maker contacting Manx Radio with a ridiculous story as a sort f reverse satire or something.

You keep peddling it though Stu.

Maybe Buster should do an FOI on highest payout info. 

I think the first million pound IOM Governmnent lump sum pension payout will be to Stu himself. :)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

This thing about the millionaire fireman. Someone has mentioned it on air a couple of times. I didn't believe it then or now - am I wrong?? Surely even the most senior and long serving fireman/person could not accrue that kind of pension pot, could they? 

My take on it was, it was 3 or 5 years ago, @ £500k. And deliberately pegged just below that to allow it to be tax-free. £497k as I recall.

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

My take on it was, it was 3 or 5 years ago, @ £500k. And deliberately pegged just below that to allow it to be tax-free. £497k as I recall.

There is this from 2016 reporting two "over half a million".

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_420206.html

Bloody obscene actually.

12 minutes ago, gettafa said:
51 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Some government mischief maker contacting Manx Radio with a ridiculous story as a sort f reverse satire or something.

You keep peddling it though Stu.

Maybe Buster should do an FOI on highest payout info. 

I could be wrong again, but was there not a group of firemen who retired and were allowed to take their WHOLE pension in one payment ? ( about 7 I thought)  but that the loophole was closed about 10 seconds later ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I could be wrong again, but was there not a group of firemen who retired and were allowed to take their WHOLE pension in one payment ? ( about 7 I thought)  but that the loophole was closed about 10 seconds later ?

i think you are nearly correct,   i heard it was 2 and then someone suggested 3.    it was claimed a million plus change for the airport fireman who allegedly received the whole lot as a payment.  then rather swiftly the rules were changed so that you could only have 1/3rd of their 'pot' as cash and the rest had to go into investments, be it property or a business start up.     i'm not sure how true/accurate all this is but it came from  a retired fire service bod that didn't get a 7 figure payout.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i think you are nearly correct,   i heard it was 2 and then someone suggested 3.    it was claimed a million plus change for the airport fireman who allegedly received the whole lot as a payment.  then rather swiftly the rules were changed so that you could only have 1/3rd of their 'pot' as cash and the rest had to go into investments, be it property or a business start up.     i'm not sure how true/accurate all this is but it came from  a retired fire service bod that didn't get a 7 figure payout.

That is nearer the truth.

there was a window of very peculiar interpretation of pension rights. 

Dont diss the firefighters at the airport though. Personally I would integrate it with IOMFRS and rotate staff through, but you can’t have an airport without them.

well actually you can, but you aren’t allowed aeroplanes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WTF said:

The Isle of Man Government, where senior civil servants involved in accounting don't apparently know the difference between Euros and GBP, cost us a fortune - then end up retiring on a fat one with an OBE to boot.

I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times - those who have access to the reserves are making sure they and their pals grab it while they can, can. can.

Oh, and if anyone thinks I am green with envy - you bet your fucking life I am.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

And it's not as if these people weren't well paid and looked after all those years (actually that goes for all civil service and gov employees)

30 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The Isle of Man Government, where senior civil servants involved in accounting don't apparently know the difference between Euros and GBP, cost us a fortune - then end up retiring on a fat one with an OBE to boot.

I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times - those who have access to the reserves are making sure they and their pals grab it while they can, can. can.

Oh, and if anyone thinks I am green with envy - you bet your fucking life I am.

There's certainly a "generation" who've done very well out of IoM Gov.

And the speed/urgency at which the issue has been/is being addressed might indicate that they're most reluctant to relinquish it and also making the most of political inabilities to get to grips with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

there was a window of very peculiar interpretation of pension rights.

I love that, Derek. Understatement of the century. Not so much a window as a parting of the Red Sea.

• Haha 1

Great to see the empty tram blocking the Prom again this afternoon. Hate to think what it will be like tomorrow with the TT course closed all day! 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Great to see the empty tram blocking the Prom again this afternoon. Hate to think what it will be like tomorrow with the TT course closed all day! 

It’s not closed all day. 

Edited by kevster
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

But..but...the rainy weather during TT is when they are at their most busy.

Just now, gettafa said:

But..but...the rainy weather during TT is when they are at their most busy.

Please....the expression is "peak times".... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2