Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

MLC resigns for nonsensical reasons

I don't know Paul but I'd defend his approach - it's the only way of getting anything out of people like Quayle who find contact with the public immensely frightening

It's an interesting point I guess - an interesting comparison to UK politics anyway.

In the UK and elsewhere politicians 'have' to maintain a certain amount of exposure, even that which they know is not going to show them in a good light, or they will be slated for hiding from the media / from questioning. Which presumably is considered to be even worse for their image than being embarrassed by someone who asks all the right questions. 

That just doesn't happen here does it? Is that because virtually everyone who gets access is somehow ultimately dependant on government support at some point, and those who aren't just don't care / it's not commercially viable / the people who pay for advertising are then also close to gov. A small island problem?

4 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I don't know Paul but I'd defend his approach - it's the only way of getting anything out of people like Quayle who find contact with the public immensely frightening

I think there's some truth in that and it's also true that sometimes a softer interviewing style can actually be more revealing than the sort of confrontational Today-type interview, which often more about the interviewer showing off how 'tough' they are than actually getting any useful information from the politician for the viewer/listener.  It's a bit frustrating in this case because Moulton clearly knows there is more to be said, but is unable to coax it out of her.  However shouting at her wouldn't work either (the one thing PR training teaches you is how to clam up) so all he can really do is let us draw our own conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Tanya’s resigned from one role but she won’t give up her role on the statutory body of the Post Office. So much for principles then ............ but there again £10k can mean such a lot to some.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-to-continue-post-office-role/

Actually (and this point is made in Moulton's interview) you don't get any extra for being the Vice-Chairman of a Board, merely for being the Chairman.  And even for the Chairman it's only 10% extra (£4348) , rather than the 30% or 40% that you get for Departmental Membership.

Which makes it even more of a mystery why she's giving up such an easy gig.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Tanya’s resigned from one role but she won’t give up her role on the statutory body of the Post Office. So much for principles then ............ but there again £10k can mean such a lot to some.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-to-continue-post-office-role/

I now doubt she has resigned to be honest. I’m sure the real reason for this bizarre piece of personal PR will come out in the wash eventually. 

• Thanks 1

Think the lady said she's waiving the salary for the extra role

10 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Think the lady said she's waiving the salary for the extra role

But waving the salary for LegCo.

• Haha 2

Perhaps she's found more lucrative employment as a pole dancer or something during TT week?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps she's found more lucrative employment as a pole dancer or something during TT week?

Maybe just working on the "fringe" ?

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Telegraph poles? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Telegraph poles? 

Those are people called Stanislav who write for a right wing national newspaper.

• Haha 1

Today’s nonsense from the Nations Mouthpiece Propaganda unit -

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-resigns-from-departmental-role/

2 gone now for the rest - some are nearing the end of their gravy train journey. If they want to devote their time to scrutinising the proposed legislation, wonderful - and hopefully they are doing their bit towards reducing the PS/CS wage and pension bill. 

• Like 1

Yes, I saw that. Time as a member of DOI interfering with scrutinising legislation or something? How many hours a week do they have to work again? And how much legislation is there? And how many of them?