Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hampsterkahn

TT copyright

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Far too many to comment on. Disgraceful, no matter how you look at it.

Yet another young wife has lost her husband and a lovely young child has lost her dad.

Will that tragedy be remembered now that everyone has gone back?

I hope it is not Forgotten. This is the saddest part of racing. I don’t know how these families cope, but I often think we, as a nation owe something to these poor souls, as we encourage the entrants to come here for £££££ into our economy.

It is yet another tragedy that will pass out of memories (if it even enters into some), like so many others, at least until Paul Bradford updates his Memorial Book again.

But they do keep coming back. Seemingly regardless of the risks. And how many TT competitors have there been who have NOT died on the TT course? Or anywhere else during their careers?

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It is yet another tragedy that will pass out of memories (if it even enters into some), like so many others, at least until Paul Bradford updates his Memorial Book again.

But they do keep coming back. Seemingly regardless of the risks. And how many TT competitors have there been who have NOT died on the TT course? Or anywhere else during their careers?

??????????

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

??????????

Looking for a bit of balance. How many TT competitors have ridden the course and not died doing so? Must be 1000s?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Looking for a bit of balance. How many TT competitors have ridden the course and not died doing so? Must be 1000s?

That must be a fantastic consolation to the families of the 260+++ who have died.

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

That must be a fantastic consolation to the families of the 260+++ who have died.

Isn't it 258? No it's not and never can be. Ever.

But there must also be 1000's who attempted their own personal "Everest" and came away with personal bests and something to tell the kids and grandkids, an award or finisher's medal. We just as quickly forget them too?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Irrelevant, doesn’t fit in with the anti TT agenda

• Thanks 1

It's all part of he psychology of ... ' it may bite some but it wont get me ', syndrome until .....................

The fact is that the races have a predictable number of deaths and misery, more so thasn any other circuit in the racing world and it is that fact that makes it morally unsustainable for our purely economic gain grounds.

we may just as easily introduce Bull Fighting or televised  American chemical executions or Iranian or Saudi mass executions and claim it is legal in that circumstance, just as long as it brings a few mil quid to our coffers,

It is immoral, if it can't be made safe, it should be stopped.!

• Sad 1

Oh if only you had put those words in your manifesto, you would have done so much better.

Edited to add:

. . . . . 

Edited by gettafa

Wonder if they’ll chase this chippy in Blackpool.

2290D95C-0DC9-42E3-8D5C-2AA4732ED149.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MrPB said:

Well that and as a few seem to have pointed out in the comments section of the paper they haven't actually registered the global rights to the TT trademark anyway so I doubt they could ever successfully take a US seller to court as the first thing a US lawyer would do is ask them to show where their US trademark is registered to support any action. 

Much easier to play bully with people in Ramsey I’d say. 

Would you not have to register the TT trademark country-by-country, and if it is not a "registered trademark" on the island, what is to stop outlets doing it  ?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There's a lot of stuff round the Island that skirts the "TT licence" strictures though.

"IoM Road Racing" T-shirts abound even featuring images of the top riders. Shirts with outline maps of the course. All sorts of stuff that refers and alludes to the TT without actually having TT on it.

Wonder if that amounts to £3M in losses?

Slightly off topic, but who owns the trademark for the "Three legs Logo", or can anyone use it ?

Howard would probably let the chip shop use the logo for a freebee?  Rodan looks like he enjoys a deep fried haggis too!!!

Rather unkind but I'll leave it there!

Edited by Kopek

3 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Slightly off topic, but who owns the trademark for the "Three legs Logo", or can anyone use it ?

It has been in use around the world for thousands of years almost anyway...Many entities use it in various forms but the copyright/trademark would probably apply where it is incorporated in another design..Crown copyright might well apply to IOM Govt usage in badges and crests etc but Wikipedia gives many examples of it being used around the world..I suppose the IOM flag and merchant navy "Red Duster" is a registered design of some sort...???

Surely the 'TT' thing is only relevant when used on the back of the Isle of Man TT races. Or isn't that obvious?

The T.T. is not a brand logo, it's a motorcycle festival in the same way as the Olympics, the World Cup, Tour de France, etc. I doubt the IOC or FIFA or the Tour organisers have commercial copyright on the event name, only on event associated commercial logos. 

• Like 1