Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Axe Man alert

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

Those powers seem draconian. They seem to give the marshals power to enter anywhere and detain anyone even away from the course. (In this case they appear to have followed the miscreant away from the track onto private land - with the usual proviso that we can't always trust a Manx Radio report to give an accurate picture.) And point five seems to give them the right to from a posse. 

Well... 1. he had already committed at least two offences and 2. given that state of mind what guarantee did the marshals have that he wouldn't do it again?

If they hadn't acted and called the police, how do you think they would feel if they had left him be and he then went on to cause a major incident later?

Nut jobs require dealing with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What kind of CRB/Dislosure checks are being carried out on these 500+ Hi-Vis Hitlers? To be wielding that amount of power the organisers must sure make sure they have no criminal record, aren't on any registers etc? 

If they're given "power equivalent to a police constable when roads are closed" then surely they need to go through the same level of checks?

3 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

So the Hi-Viz Hitlers entered private land in a confrontational manner? The man in question probably felt threatened by the large number of them confronting him on his own land. 

Read it properly numbnuts, the marshals were doing their job in preventing a possible problem

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Read it properly numbnuts, the marshals were doing their job in preventing a possible problem

Thanks for that, dip shit.

"Preventing a possible problem" - so they're the fucking thought police? All a bit Minority Report. 

They're a bunch of glorified trainspotters that have no right going on private land  - if the report is correct. 

33 minutes ago, Declan said:

Those powers seem draconian. They seem to give the marshals power to enter anywhere and detain anyone even away from the course. (In this case they appear to have followed the miscreant away from the track onto private land - with the usual proviso that we can't always trust a Manx Radio report to give an accurate picture.) And point five seems to give them the right to from a posse. 

It might be a bad report but looks to me that a couple of Marshall’s fancied a game of Starsky and Hutch by having a bit of a car chase with someone who made a genuine mistake and ended up on the course. I’m sure bins and cardboard boxes were flying as they chased him back to his caravan and then tried to arrest him! Yet he gets painted as a “mad axe man”. This is the sort of thing you get when you give people hats and armbands to wear making them feel important. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

What kind of CRB/Dislosure checks are being carried out on these 500+ Hi-Vis Hitlers? To be wielding that amount of power the organisers must sure make sure they have no criminal record, aren't on any registers etc? 

If they're given "power equivalent to a police constable when roads are closed" then surely they need to go through the same level of checks?

I'm beginning to sense that you are not a TT fan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Max Power said:

I'm beginning to sense that you are not a TT fan?

What's wrong with them doing appropriate checks on people they put in a position of power/responsibility? 

3 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Thanks for that, dip shit.

"Preventing a possible problem" - so they're the fucking thought police? All a bit Minority Report. 

They're a bunch of glorified trainspotters that have no right going on private land  - if the report is correct. 

"Glorified sweaty smelly trainspotters /bikers who cause me inconvenience by queuing in the supermarket" surely?

:lol::flowers:

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It might be a bad report but looks to me that a couple of Marshall’s fancied a game of Starsky and Hutch by having a bit of a car chase with someone who made a genuine mistake and ended up on the course. I’m sure bins and cardboard boxes were flying as they chased him back to his caravan and then tried to arrest him! Yet he gets painted as a “mad axe man”. This is the sort of thing you get when you give people hats and armbands to wear making them feel important. 

Hardly...we have had numerous nutters becoming associated with spectating the TT...including drunks....what you read in the news is probably only 20% of what Marshals have had to deal with. Major kick-offs like this one are thankfully rare.

12 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If they hadn't acted and called the police, how do you think they would feel if they had left him be and he then went on to cause a major incident later?

Nut jobs require dealing with.

By professionals. Not a mechanic in hi-viz. 

I'm not objecting to them calling the cops, it's them acting like cops when they probably don't have the training or skillset. 

They should not be allowed to give chase onto someone's private property. Or attempt conflict resolution with a mad-axman. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Hardly...we have had numerous nutters becoming associated with spectating the TT...including drunks....what you read in the news is probably only 20% of what Marshals have had to deal with. Major kick-offs like this one are thankfully rare.

I agree with you on the nutters. Far from talking this event upmarket as claimed by IOMG we seem to be attracting more disruptive assholes by the year. But then again it’s just a numbers game to them nothing to do with safety or anything else. As I said it might be a bad report but looks like the guy was probably spooked and angry at being pursued for a minor error then objected to them paying him a visit in his home on his land. He will now be remembered as Peels “mad axe Man” forever for his troubles. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Declan said:

By the professionals. 

In this case a bargain basement Bodie and Doyle from the report! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

6 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

What's wrong with them doing appropriate checks on people they put in a position of power/responsibility? 

Nothing, if it were practical to do so. My experience is that the first thing they do is contact the police and ask for further instructions, in reality they were only acting as normal citizens in making sure that they know the whereabouts of the suspect. If they had allowed him to wander off, he could return with more serious consequences.  

24 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

"guy was probably spooked and angry at being pursued for a minor error"

So he drove from Laurel Bank to Ballig on closed roads, then drove back again, also on closed roads, and you consider that a minor error? OK

19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Nothing, if it were practical to do so. My experience is that the first thing they do is contact the police and ask for further instructions, in reality they were only acting as normal citizens in making sure that they know the whereabouts of the suspect. If they had allowed him to wander off, he could return with more serious consequences.  

Not being practical is no excuse. They either need to be properly checked and trained. Or they let the police deal with it.