Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Last Ten

Bus Vs Taxi

21 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Where the hell do you live? Banks Circus? Buses services have been decimated under him and prices have risen drastically!

I'm not a fan of his, but under his tenure my service - 

• has increased in frequency
  • connects me directly to more of Douglas
  • has more convenient evening and late night buses
  • has wifi access
  • has more efficient ways to pay that allow me to access discounted tickets I couldn't previously.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So has mine Declan, no complaints at all.   Great service, pleasant drivers, clean busses.   All good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How can you get to 90% on a poll of two people? You need to work on your maths. 

It's as accurate as the shite he just posted. No need for maths just pluck a figure out of the air and hope it works

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's as accurate as the shite he just posted. No need for maths just pluck a figure out of the air and hope it works

You must miss Woody....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Declan said:

• has increased in frequency - IF YOU LIVE IN WILLASTON OR ANAGH COAR
  • connects me directly to more of Douglas - YOUR FEET WILL DO THAT FOR YOU
  • has more convenient evening and late night buses - AT A COST
  • has wifi access - ACCEPTED
  • has more efficient ways to pay that allow me to access discounted tickets I couldn't previously. - UNLESS YOU ROCK UP WITH A £10 or £20 NOTE

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You must miss Woody....

It's almost as though he is a reincarnated Woody...

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's almost as though he is a reincarnated Woody...

Scary stuff....

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

• has increased in frequency - IF YOU LIVE IN WILLASTON OR ANAGH COAR - I don't. 
  • connects me directly to more of Douglas - YOUR FEET WILL DO THAT FOR YOU - irrelevant to the question of whether the bus service has been decimated. 
  • has more convenient evening and late night buses - AT A COST - which I pay through my fares
  • has wifi access - ACCEPTED
  • has more efficient ways to pay that allow me to access discounted tickets I couldn't previously. - UNLESS YOU ROCK UP WITH A £10 or £20 NOTE - That's always been the case but now you can use a contactless card or your smart phone when you find yourself in that situation. But you're less likely to be in that situation because it is easier to access season tickets or discounted multiple tickets than in the past. 

Edited by Declan

41 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

UNLESS YOU ROCK UP WITH A £10 or £20 

Most people aren't twats and don't try to pay with a £20 note. 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

• has wifi access
  • has more efficient ways to pay that allow me to access discounted tickets I couldn't previously.

That's good,  not my experience where I live.

I think the wifi thing is more just technological development than being down to him.

Also, I take it from the "more efficient ways to pay" you've never enjoyed the delights of the (as good as compulsory) go school online payment system or whatever it's called at 11 o'clock on a school night. It would have taken some considerable effort to come up with a less efficient and more frustrating system, it truly stands apart from any public transport payment system I have ever come across anywhere else in the world. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Declan said:

• has wifi access

The increase in frequency only really applies if you live in the South, where they've gone from two to three to now four an hour, or in Onchan, where those services extend to.  What it demonstrates is that increasing regularity, increases passenger numbers, but the lesson hasn't really been applied elsewhere on the Island.  Night buses are a good idea, but the scheduling of evening buses has often been often a bit hit and miss, with gaps where there shouldn't be.  It's not really been enough to get people to leave their cars at home. 

Most other improvements are simply things that have become industry standard, often applied in a pretty inefficient and costly way (think of the numerous ticketing systems) and made more complex than necessary (how many Go Cards are there?).   Often there's been a tendency to go for a buggy, bespoke solution rather than buying something off the shelf.  The apotheosis of this was the Cabbage of course, because these faults often applied to the purchasing of vehicles as well.

Of course Longworth hasn't been the only civil servant, especially in the DoI, to take "Spend! Spend! Spend!" as a motto with very little regard for anything but the next shiny toy or falling for the patter of the next bullshit consultant.  But when you consider what has been spent to get fairly modest improvements, it does seem a wasted opportunity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don’t be ridiculous Roger. I was replying to the suggestion that he had decimated the bus service not making a case that he was infallible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Declan said:

Don’t be ridiculous Roger. I was replying to the suggestion that he had decimated the bus service not making a case that he was infallible. 

Oh I wasn't suggesting you were, which is why I quoted your opening line and not just the list.  But his tenure has still mostly been a missed opportunity, given the spending involved.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I wasn't suggesting you were, which is why I quoted your opening line and not just the list.  But his tenure has still mostly been a missed opportunity, given the spending involved.

Sorry, I think you are very wrong

I have no idea who you are or even if you live here, but from what you say in this thread you either aren’t local or have an agenda

Interesting reading and comparisons in the above posts. Juries are still out in the bejewelled North over the scrapping of the scheduled bus services and the replacement "Connect" on-call services. One hears both good and bad things, although if they result in fewer large buses running around the countryside empty then that can only be a good thing?

Remaining scheduled services out of Ramsey still have strange gaps in them often in return timings. That applies to the trams too.