Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
SJR

bet victor blog on the IOM TT..

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, x-in-man said:

..and have an issue with using the space bar after a full stop.

Even worse are people who put the space before the full stop, or write etc as ect. 

Edited by kevster
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

In the old days it was always two spaces after a full stop.  I think word processors kinda put a stop to that.  Not sure why.

Kerning.  In typewriters and some early computer printers all letters and spaces had the same fixed width.  So leaving two spaces at the end of a sentence was a good way of making the fact you were starting a new one stand out more.  With word processing software and inkjets and lasers, it became possible use kerning as with typesetting and it could be programmed so a space was slightly longer at the end of a sentence and the double spacing became less necessary for ease of readability.  Some of us still do it out of habit though.

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Kerning.  In typewriters and some early computer printers all letters and spaces had the same fixed width.  So leaving two spaces at the end of a sentence was a good way of making the fact you were starting a new one stand out more.  With word processing software and inkjets and lasers, it became possible use kerning as with typesetting and it could be programmed so a space was slightly longer at the end of a sentence and the double spacing became less necessary for ease of readability.  Some of us still do it out of habit though.

Theresalsoafewthatdon’t

On 6/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, Andy Onchan said:

Never heard of two spaces after a full stop, even when I had to use a typewriter. 

You are just a spring chicken, laddie.

Google "one space or two after a period" or "double spacing after full stop"

14 hours ago, gettafa said:

You are just a spring chicken, laddie.

Google "one space or two after a period" or "double spacing after full stop"

I now realise that i must have led a sheltered life. How could double spacing have passed me by? I blame my mother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2