Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes there were delays.

But the moaning is out of all proportion. Compounded by poor communication. No explanation.

First, Menzies lost staff before TT. It takes time to advertise, interview, recruit, get security clearance and train.

Second, staff have coped with extra hours and demand all TT.

Third, Saturday after TT is busiest day of year with mass exodus. Extra planes.

Fourth, yesterday evening due to departure delays at other airports, four planes arrived at same time, were on stand, and EasyJet arrived late and had to be parked and disembarked remotely, requiring bussing.

Fifth, in order not to have 160 passengers and the plane stuck here overnight ( airport operating times, maximum hours ATC ) ground staff concentrated on loading departing luggage rather than getting incoming luggage on the belt.

unfortunate, but not end of world.

This is precisely the sort of information that the Airport's PR people should be disseminating

Exactly, one female that thinks the world turns around for her.    I was in the airport and it was busy but nothing like this demented woman made out.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes there were delays.

But the moaning is out of all proportion. Compounded by poor communication. No explanation.

First, Menzies lost staff before TT. It takes time to advertise, interview, recruit, get security clearance and train.

Second, staff have coped with extra hours and demand all TT.

Third, Saturday after TT is busiest day of year with mass exodus. Extra planes.

Fourth, yesterday evening due to departure delays at other airports, four planes arrived at same time, were on stand, and EasyJet arrived late and had to be parked and disembarked remotely, requiring bussing.

Fifth, in order not to have 160 passengers and the plane stuck here overnight ( airport operating times, maximum hours ATC ) ground staff concentrated on loading departing luggage rather than getting incoming luggage on the belt.

unfortunate, but not end of world.

But you highlight two things that are wrong at the airport and not just at busy times, though pressure will make those faults more obvious.  The first is the complete lack of communication and lack of visibility of management.  Flybe's problems with their computer systems aren't new and automatic check-in has been suspended since 15 May.  Delays were inevitable and in most airports you would expect to see hi-vizzed helpers, often managers, around making sure that people knew what to do and generally reassuring them.

The second is the decision to contract out so many of the  services means that there is always going to be a risk of ending up short-handed.  That is going to be especially true in somewhere like the Isle of Man where, inevitably, the labour market isn't that mobile and when the contractor is a multinational like Menzies with distant management.  If there are any 'savings' from contracting out they may be lost because a far worse service is provided.  Of course a well-drafted, monitored and enforced contract should mean that such things were penalised, but we all know the chances of that are slim.

Airport management should be set up to cope with such situations when they are unexpected - weather, or the fallout from volcanoes, or terrorist attacks elsewhere.  The Saturday of TT Week being busy isn't unexpected.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Exactly, one female that thinks the world turns around for her.    I was in the airport and it was busy but nothing like this demented woman made out.

There were people queuing outside, there was no organisation, travellers didn't know where the hell to queue and no-one around to tell them and if there is a tannoy system down there it wasn't being used.  Maybe you where there, I don't know, but you obviously weren't there when I was.  I don't think the world turns for me, far from it, but the image it gave of the island was bad, very bad.  I'm not demented thank you and I can take that people may not agree with me, I however don't have to descend to trying to ridicule someone with an alternative viewpoint.

• Like 5

A quick phone photo would have been useful. That's what works these days, and get it on that there Twitter. (And Manxforums of course)

On 6/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Or maybe she's travelled a lot and knows that most airports manage to cope with expected high levels of passengers by putting on extra staff and making sure that those passengers know what to do and where to go and managing queues and so on.  She wasn't complaining about the Airport being busy, but badly organised. 

We constantly get told that lots of money should be spent on the Airport because it presents the Island to the world and makes the first impression and so on.  But they don't seem to care if the impression given by the way it is run is one of cluelessness and indifference to passengers' needs. 

We constantly get told that lots of money should be spent on the Airport because it presents the Island to the world

the subject of money has not been raised by ms reynolds for quite some time, so all must be "fine and dandy " at the airport, with no issues ??

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

You think Ann Reynolds is on £365,000 a year. You’re in fantasy land.

Have seen her shopping in the Co-Op in Castletown, ( and using her loyalty card ) so obviously not on £365,000 !

21 hours ago, asitis said:

A little bird told me she is looking for a position in the UK !

It is true that little is known about the airport it is one of the "Can't say" places for publicity. BTW the radar apparently is only half approved hence the need for the old one as well !

Still you get what you pay for ... or maybe not !!

Is that the old old radar or the new new radar , or do we need a new, new radar?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LightBulb said:
22 hours ago, John Wright said:

You think Ann Reynolds is on £365,000 a year. You’re in fantasy land.

Have seen her shopping in the Co-Op in Castletown, ( and using her loyalty card ) so obviously not on £365,000 !

You know very little about the rich is you don't know that very many of them are keen to get the best value for every penny they can.  THat may be how they got rich in the first place.

(That said I assumed Cleo meant £1000 per week.  Though I reckon Reynolds will be on a fair bit more than that). 

17 hours ago, WTF said:

without the looks......................

Are you suggesting it is the passengers fault ?

15 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Are you suggesting it is the passengers fault ?

i think your filament has broken

• Haha 1

The lady, who is not demented, has obviously never been through Manchester, Liverpool or Dublin security on a busy day.   Our airport is quite small and days like this may happen, once a year?  I travel frequently and have never seen queues outside so it must have been extreme circumstances and it would be madness to spend any more money on an airport that gets busy on a high or feast day.

12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

... it would be madness to spend any more money on an airport that gets busy on a high or feast day.

Don't say that....there's nothing more guaranteed....

• Thanks 3