Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
NoTail

Possible VAT loss

I see the creep Mr Gove proposes to scrap VAT and replace it with a "simpler" sales tax. I doubt he will become PM but if this did happen I imagine we would have a very significant funding issue. I hope our treasury are up to the job.

Mr Gove just wants cheaper cocaine... :lol:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I see the creep Mr Gove proposes to scrap VAT and replace it with a "simpler" sales tax. I doubt he will become PM but if this did happen I imagine we would have a very significant funding issue. I hope our treasury are up to the job.

I think it will happen anyway post Brexit. Wonder what the UK will let the IOM have by way sharing like now....I would think they will cut you adrift and the IOM will be like Jersey...DIY from thence on...It would look good politically not favouring/subsidising a tax haven as the public see it...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Gove will hopefully not get elected he has the personality of a jellyfish and looks like the class sneak definitely prefect and teachers pet material.   Now that he has come out about his furore into cocaine they are all joining in with their stories of dope taking..no wonder the country they are governing is in such a mess.

Edited by hissingsid
Ipad playing up
  • Like 1

Time this VAT scandal is brought to the open and I’m up for Gove to get in. Just so at last a proper tax system is brought in place and in time reduce the incessant spending of this proliferate Government.

2 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I think it will happen anyway post Brexit. Wonder what the UK will let the IOM have by way sharing like now....I would think they will cut you adrift and the IOM will be like Jersey...DIY from thence on...It would look good politically not favouring/subsidising a tax haven as the public see it...

Barrie, the UK is higher up on the tax haven list than the IoM. I would love to distance us from that bunch of hypocrites.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Barrie, the UK is higher up on the tax haven list than the IoM. I would love to distance us from that bunch of hypocrites.

But that is not how it is perceived by voters. The point being that ending VAT and any reciprocal agreement with the IOM may well be packaged as a move against what is perceived as a subsidised tax haven. It matters not what the situation is it is how it is perceived that matters. Like Brexit was sold in such a way many people believed we would be out the next day and I have experienced many examples of that. It is taking advantage of the situation that counts.

Posted (edited)

Jebus, I wouldn't like to think of the taxation levels that our great and good would impose in order to continue the standards that they and their entourage have become accustomed to.

Nobody in the street quite seems to know exactly how the new VAT rebate thingy works but if we were going to try and raise that level of taxation rebate purely locally via a GST (and not by fleecing a VAT arrangement) what would the likely rate have to be? Plus they'd take on another 1000 CS to administer it.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Jebus, I wouldn't like to think of the taxation levels that our great and good would impose in order to continue the standards that they and their entourage have become accustomed to.

Nobody in the street quite seems to know exactly how the new VAT rebate thingy works but if we were going to try and raise that level of taxation rebate purely locally via a GST (and not by fleecing a VAT arrangement) what would the likely rate have to be? Plus they'd take on another 1000 CS to administer it.

And the HMRC are squeezing the pips. Look at the actors and media folk being presented with bills for past tax and national insurance due to the use of offshore service companies. Some are looking to pay one fifty to two hundred thousand pounds..

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

And the HMRC are squeezing the pips. Look at the actors and media folk being presented with bills for past tax and national insurance due to the use of offshore service companies. Some are looking to pay one fifty to two hundred thousand pounds..

Squeezing the pips is exactly what would happen here with a GST, particularly given that to date there's been absolutely no ability to impose (or intention of allowing, on the part of the CS) any meaningful savings or cutbacks, see the SAVE programme for all that needs to be said.

Taxation would simply be imposed to levels felt necessary to sustain the current, and increasing, bloat.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Gove will hopefully not get elected he has the personality of a jellyfish and looks like the class sneak definitely prefect and teachers pet material.   Now that he has come out about his furore into cocaine they are all joining in with their stories of dope taking..no wonder the country they are governing is in such a mess.

Well he IS the class sneak isn't he? Ask Boris! :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The public don't see it. That's the whole point. In any case, they need their tax havens, don't they? Otherwise what would they use for, er, tax havens?

4 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

But that is not how it is perceived by voters. The point being that ending VAT and any reciprocal agreement with the IOM may well be packaged as a move against what is perceived as a subsidised tax haven. It matters not what the situation is it is how it is perceived that matters. Like Brexit was sold in such a way many people believed we would be out the next day and I have experienced many examples of that. It is taking advantage of the situation that counts.

Maybe if Corbyn got in, but that's the only way. Even then I'm not sure it would be allowed. Probably be a military coup or something! :D

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think his assessment of a sales tax is bollox. He is assuming that it will be multilayered like VAT. The whole idea would be to junk that otherwise there is no advantage. I think it would be charged only on the final supply to the end consumer.

Edited by woolley