Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Onchan or not

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ian rush said:

What this boils down to is that onchan mhks dont have anything to do with bins and dogshit in lakeside (garff).

The sooner our supposed national politicians stopped dicking around with local authority matters and questioning operational matters the better.

I actually think it’s a good idea de-linking the local authority area from the area which applies for the election of national politicians as it means that people can’t be bought off with favours done by the LA politicians to get in. Say hypothetically a Commissioner was looking at MHK in 3 years time and they sanctioned some sort of project or big spend to appeal to a group of people who they knew would vote for them? They wouldn’t be able to do it in many areas of Onchan now as the people couldn’t actually vote for them anyway so it certainly does seem to disadvantage local commissioners seeking elevation. It also means, I suppose, that MHKs who have been LA members can’t exert undue influence on commissioners who were former LA friends and colleagues either to do favours for their big voter clusters either as the clusters are different. Maybe this is why Mr Callister is so concerned on how Onchan is now carved up? 

Edited by MrPB
Spells
  • Sad 1

Thats why Rob is grandstanding re rent increases for public sector and/or deficiency payments and/or Onchan commissioners rents (even though theyre the only ones who count their sheltered accom separate). The person with responsibilty for LA housing in DoI? Why, his likely rival next time up, the other mhk for Onchan, Mrs Edge.

• Like 2

The Onchan MHKs do not and should not have anything to do with bins and dog shit,. this is local parish pump politics and is the responsibility of the Commissioners.   Onchan Commissioners do a very good job and it is madness to suggest they have another government department to do the jobs of the various commissioners throughout the Island.    Can you you imagine how many more pensionable highly paid jobs would be created to do the same thing as the Commissioners do for a few quid in expenses.    The Commissioners know their own area and manage refuse collection, street cleaning and lighting, parks and a lot more.    I think they should have more of a say in planning but that is another story.   The Government struggle to keep up with the departments they already run and are trying to cut down on their workforce , not with great success, not increase it.  They also run a very tidy housing stock and keep it in good shape.   

1 hour ago, ian rush said:

Thats why Rob is grandstanding re rent increases for public sector and/or deficiency payments and/or Onchan commissioners rents (even though theyre the only ones who count their sheltered accom separate). The person with responsibilty for LA housing in DoI? Why, his likely rival next time up, the other mhk for Onchan, Mrs Edge.

I can see this hence my question. He has campaigned on a variety of issues that centre around Onchan Commissioners (largely alleged DOI unfair rent increases). I’ve no doubt the Commissioners rents issue is purely get the tenants angry with Ms Edge who also has to rely on the same votes. Is the dividing line for the top of Onchan pretty much the Butt / Harbour Road? So that’s a lot of higher value housing (Banks Howe, Howe Road, Harbour Road, Wentworth, Groudle Road, Lakeside etc) which can’t vote for either of them so no point in even bothering with them. Just align with ODC who manage the housing stock and then rev up Ballachrink and the other commissioners areas and get them fuming about your likely next time round rival putting up their rents. 

Fish and barrels spring to mind. 

33 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I can see this hence my question. He has campaigned on a variety of issues that centre around Onchan Commissioners (largely alleged DOI unfair rent increases). I’ve no doubt the Commissioners rents issue is purely get the tenants angry with Ms Edge who also has to rely on the same votes. Is the dividing line for the top of Onchan pretty much the Butt / Harbour Road? So that’s a lot of higher value housing (Banks Howe, Howe Road, Harbour Road, Wentworth, Groudle Road, Lakeside etc) which can’t vote for either of them so no point in even bothering with them. Just align with ODC who manage the housing stock and then rev up Ballachrink and the other commissioners areas and get them fuming about your likely next time round rival putting up their rents. 

Fish and barrels spring to mind. 

More nonsense from MrPB 

I was fighting for better Soical Housing Policies well before my colleague was elected and given responsibility of Local Authority Housing.

I guess I will still be fighting for “fairer rent system” when Ms Edge has moved onto to new responsibilities. 

A quick google search will show that since 2012. 

I am targeting the policy and not the individual, maybe you should do the same.....

As an Onchan MHK I make myself available to all Onchan ratepayers. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

More nonsense from MrPB I

More nonsense? More nonsense than what as I rarely express any opinion about your good self as more often than not it seems to inevitably lead to long and embarrassing forum meltdowns (such as this). To be honest that’s quite rude with respect and I think you will find it was Ian Rush who suggested that not me. I just agreed with him. You should at least get your facts straight. You do seem to make quite a fool of yourself on here frequently jumping to silly conclusions about posts you don’t like about yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

More nonsense? More nonsense than what as I rarely express any opinion about your good self as more often than not it seems to inevitably lead to long and embarrassing forum meltdowns (such as this). To be honest that’s quite rude with respect and I think you will find it was Ian Rush who suggested that not me. I just agreed with him. You should at least get your facts straight. You do seem to make quite a fool of yourself on here frequently jumping to silly conclusions about posts you don’t like about yourself.

I think he means you just talk nonsense generally...:flowers:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I think he means you just talk nonsense generally...:flowers:

I wasn’t aware he followed this forum so avidly to have a view on individual posters. That’s the sort of thing you’d normally post just to troll people to be honest. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

More nonsense from MrPB 

I was fighting for better Soical Housing Policies well before my colleague was elected and given responsibility of Local Authority Housing.

I guess I will still be fighting for “fairer rent system” when Ms Edge has moved onto to new responsibilities. 

A quick google search will show that since 2012. 

I am targeting the policy and not the individual, maybe you should do the same.....

As an Onchan MHK I make myself available to all Onchan ratepayers. 

It must be shuffle time.

Whom do you think will get social housing?, as I don't believe it will be you if you can't spell it correctly..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MrPB said:

I wasn’t aware he followed this forum so avidly to have a view on individual posters. That’s the sort of thing you’d normally post just to troll people to be honest. 

You will find that he generally follows this forum relentlessly 24/7. Quite why nobody knows. Years ago good old Neddy Flanders (another Onchan based RC) used to do exactly the same. I’m not sure whether having those initials and being an Onchan MHK is a contributing factor to obsessively following Manx Forums and then making embarrassing statements when you see negative comments about yourself or not.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

Onchan. The arse wipe of Douglas. 

• Sad 1

Douglas. The arse wipe of Onchan. 

• Haha 1

If you go onto Google Earth you can actually aim the nuke to within a couple of metres.... :lol:

10 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You will find that he generally follows this forum relentlessly 24/7. Quite why nobody knows. Years ago good old Neddy Flanders (another Onchan based RC) used to do exactly the same. I’m not sure whether having those initials and being an Onchan MHK is a contributing factor to obsessively following Manx Forums and then making embarrassing statements when you see negative comments about yourself or not.

Noted to be honest at first I thought it was someone who had registered a spoof account here as a joke but I’m fast learning not to pass comment on anything he does. But in this one I stand by my comments and I actually think de-linking the LA catchment area from the national voting catchment area is a good thing.