Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Down

Value for Money

Recommended Posts

Not a lot of things surprise me these days where the Dept of Incompetence are concerned. However, yesterday lunchtime provided a few minutes of amazement. Five men to screw a sign on a post at the end of Duke Street. One holding the spanner and four holding the ladder. A few remaining bikers were actually taking photo's of it

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign fitter, ladder holder, supervisor, health and safety inspector, trainee health and safety inspector. 

Sounds about right to me

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm shocked really.  Surely there should have been at least another ten standing around watching?  Standards are slipping.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be like that in Africa when I lived there. Five men to make a pot of tea and it took a good half an hour. Africa. Isle of Man. Aye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Not a lot of things surprise me these days where the Dept of Incompetence are concerned. However, yesterday lunchtime provided a few minutes of amazement. Five men to screw a sign on a post at the end of Duke Street. One holding the spanner and four holding the ladder. A few remaining bikers were actually taking photo's of it

I've seen this sort of thing before. I once counted twelve (12) guys, most with shirt and tie but all with nice clean hi-viz jackets, watching a guy dig a hole. I wasn't quick enough to catch it on my camera so didn't post it.

Your post would have had some meaning had you too taken a quick snap.

Edited by gettafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I've seen this sort of thing before. I once counted twelve (12) guys, most with shirt and tie but all with nice clean hi-viz jackets, watching a guy dig a hole. I wasn't quick enough to catch it on my camera so didn't post it.

Your post would have had some meaning had you too taken a quick snap.

I have no doubt the opportunity will present itself again...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course this stuff goes on in offices throughout government but when a civil servant's empire is going on behind computer screens  and going to meetings to perpetuate the empire then it can all go unnoticed.

At least there was a tangible outcome to the original post - a sign got put up.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm shocked really.  Surely there should have been at least another ten standing around watching?  Standards are slipping.

Just hover around the prom works! A few weeks ago we counted 23 men doing nothing but chatter for at least twenty minutes during the morning, not a tea break either. A little further on there was a single soul slowly shovelling a little heap of sand from one place to a few feet away. No pictures I'm afraid, they were too close to where we were parked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Just hover around the prom works! A few weeks ago we counted 23 men doing nothing but chatter for at least twenty minutes during the morning, not a tea break either. A little further on there was a single soul slowly shovelling a little heap of sand from one place to a few feet away. No pictures I'm afraid, they were too close to where we were parked.

Do you know for certain that what they were talking about wasn’t related to the job in hand?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

At least there was a tangible outcome to the original post - a sign got put up.

Probably a permanent sign on a temporary post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same everywhere. Driven on the M6 recently? For decades, it seems, the road has been half closed to protect the workforce while it’s upgraded to a smart motorway. You rarely see a workman, let alone a force. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joke in the 1980s related to road widening in Onchan opposite the Manx Arms etc..Visitors would ask as to why the dead were dressed in yellow jackets and propped up with picks and shovels etc in their hands?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevster said:

Do you know for certain that what they were talking about wasn’t related to the job in hand?

Do you know for certain that they were? I said they were standing talking for a considerable time, you of course are perfectly entitled to presume the reason for that situation. Of course they may have been talking about the job, my only observation was the length of time they were standing there. I might add that it was a very funny briefing judging by the joking and laughter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Do you know for certain that they were? I said they were standing talking for a considerable time, you of course are perfectly entitled to presume the reason for that situation. Of course they may have been talking about the job, my only observation was the length of time they were standing there. I might add that it was a very funny briefing judging by the joking and laughter.

I don’t know the circumstances, but the point I raised was that just because the work gang are standing having a chat doesn’t mean it’s not work related. 

I have work meetings where we have jokes and laughs. That’s what good teamwork should be. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joke and laugh is usually on the IoM taxpayer...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...