Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Down

Value for Money

Not a lot of things surprise me these days where the Dept of Incompetence are concerned. However, yesterday lunchtime provided a few minutes of amazement. Five men to screw a sign on a post at the end of Duke Street. One holding the spanner and four holding the ladder. A few remaining bikers were actually taking photo's of it

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sign fitter, ladder holder, supervisor, health and safety inspector, trainee health and safety inspector. 

Sounds about right to me

• Haha 2

I'm shocked really.  Surely there should have been at least another ten standing around watching?  Standards are slipping.

• Haha 3

It used to be like that in Africa when I lived there. Five men to make a pot of tea and it took a good half an hour. Africa. Isle of Man. Aye. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Not a lot of things surprise me these days where the Dept of Incompetence are concerned. However, yesterday lunchtime provided a few minutes of amazement. Five men to screw a sign on a post at the end of Duke Street. One holding the spanner and four holding the ladder. A few remaining bikers were actually taking photo's of it

I've seen this sort of thing before. I once counted twelve (12) guys, most with shirt and tie but all with nice clean hi-viz jackets, watching a guy dig a hole. I wasn't quick enough to catch it on my camera so didn't post it.

Your post would have had some meaning had you too taken a quick snap.

Edited by gettafa

59 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I've seen this sort of thing before. I once counted twelve (12) guys, most with shirt and tie but all with nice clean hi-viz jackets, watching a guy dig a hole. I wasn't quick enough to catch it on my camera so didn't post it.

Your post would have had some meaning had you too taken a quick snap.

I have no doubt the opportunity will present itself again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course this stuff goes on in offices throughout government but when a civil servant's empire is going on behind computer screens  and going to meetings to perpetuate the empire then it can all go unnoticed.

At least there was a tangible outcome to the original post - a sign got put up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm shocked really.  Surely there should have been at least another ten standing around watching?  Standards are slipping.

Just hover around the prom works! A few weeks ago we counted 23 men doing nothing but chatter for at least twenty minutes during the morning, not a tea break either. A little further on there was a single soul slowly shovelling a little heap of sand from one place to a few feet away. No pictures I'm afraid, they were too close to where we were parked.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Just hover around the prom works! A few weeks ago we counted 23 men doing nothing but chatter for at least twenty minutes during the morning, not a tea break either. A little further on there was a single soul slowly shovelling a little heap of sand from one place to a few feet away. No pictures I'm afraid, they were too close to where we were parked.

Do you know for certain that what they were talking about wasn’t related to the job in hand?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

At least there was a tangible outcome to the original post - a sign got put up.

Probably a permanent sign on a temporary post.

Same everywhere. Driven on the M6 recently? For decades, it seems, the road has been half closed to protect the workforce while it’s upgraded to a smart motorway. You rarely see a workman, let alone a force. 

• Like 2

The joke in the 1980s related to road widening in Onchan opposite the Manx Arms etc..Visitors would ask as to why the dead were dressed in yellow jackets and propped up with picks and shovels etc in their hands?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Do you know for certain that what they were talking about wasn’t related to the job in hand?

Do you know for certain that they were? I said they were standing talking for a considerable time, you of course are perfectly entitled to presume the reason for that situation. Of course they may have been talking about the job, my only observation was the length of time they were standing there. I might add that it was a very funny briefing judging by the joking and laughter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Do you know for certain that they were? I said they were standing talking for a considerable time, you of course are perfectly entitled to presume the reason for that situation. Of course they may have been talking about the job, my only observation was the length of time they were standing there. I might add that it was a very funny briefing judging by the joking and laughter.

I don’t know the circumstances, but the point I raised was that just because the work gang are standing having a chat doesn’t mean it’s not work related. 

I have work meetings where we have jokes and laughs. That’s what good teamwork should be. 

• Like 2

The joke and laugh is usually on the IoM taxpayer...

• Like 4