Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Bettison, Barmy Bernie, Celtic League Versus the Saudi Government

So, someone could ask an FoI, quoting the English FoI to get an answer to if? Saudi pilots are using RWY, Tho, we know that they are, so do we need to ask this question?

The crux would seem to be.............. we may allow the RAF to use RWY for training purposes as part of of our provision of defense arrangement but do we. then, allow the RAF to bring in any despot military Country to train their pilots who may go on to commit human rights atrocities ?

I doubt this wa part of the original arrangement?

Which nations the British government chooses to offer military training to (and it will be the government, not the individual armed services) is a matter over which the IOM Government has no control. And if the IOM government is content to allow RAF jets to use Ronaldsway for training fly-bys, then QED, it is inevitable that pilots from those other countries will be involved. So if sufficient numbers of Manx residents don’t like it, then they must prevail on IOMG to revoke permission for the RAF to use Ronaldsway. Whether IOMG can, in practice, do that, I know not, but possibly they can. Just don’t expect the Red Arrows ever again.

• Like 3

It is not ''inevitable'' that allowing the British RAF to use RWY means that any other regime, in convivance with the RAF should also be allowed to use these facilities.

I would have thought that the English Govt would be quite amenable to a request not to allow Saudi or any other despot govt access to RWy simply to avoid the adverse publicity that could be generated by this in the general English press that this is going on?

It is condemnation of the Manx Govt that they do not take advantage of this situation and strike a blow for Human Rights!

15 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It is not ''inevitable'' that allowing the British RAF to use RWY means that any other regime, in convivance with the RAF should also be allowed to use these facilities.

I would have thought that the English Govt would be quite amenable to a request not to allow Saudi or any other despot govt access to RWy simply to avoid the adverse publicity that could be generated by this in the general English press that this is going on?

It is condemnation of the Manx Govt that they do not take advantage of this situation and strike a blow for Human Rights!

You on the silly juice ?

It is usually me who is accused of being drunk.

I love the IOM, (the place of my birth), to bits, but we are not a big player in anybody's game. You must know that ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Are the Saudis using UK airbases to practice on and around?

33 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Are the Saudis using UK airbases to practice on and around?

They must be using one to fly to IoM from? Cos they won't be flying from Riyadh?

• Like 2

I think I'm correct in saying that:

a) it's RAF aircraft (not foreign)

b) the aircraft don't touch down;

c) UK/RAF has had a presence in Saudi training Saudi nationals since the country's creation and it's part of a bilateral agreement, and

d) UK is responsible for IOM defence.

Oh and e) there are far more important things that are within Tynwald control,  like why are so many people on the Island reliant on foodbanks?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They must be using one to fly to IoM from? Cos they won't be flying from Riyadh?

The question was rhetorical. Kopek's view that the IOM government should make a stand against the UK government amused me

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think I'm correct in saying that:

a) it's RAF aircraft (not foreign)

b) the aircraft don't touch down;

c) UK/RAF has had a presence in Saudi training Saudi nationals since the country's creation and it's part of a bilateral agreement, and

d) UK is responsible for IOM defence.

The training is being done at RAF Valley on Anglesey and there have been demonstrations there against it.  I'm not sure whether it is RAF aircraft they are using for the training or Saudi ones of the same design.  If the former I can't see how we would know the nationality of the pilots anyway.  Why not just say so?

I think what irritates me about the response from Quayle is that they just seem to have produced a load of guff to avoid admitting the obvious point that they have no power to stop it, even if they wanted to.  They're too wrapped up in the vanity of being a 'proper country' to admit that in the end they have to do what the UK says.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Which nations the British government chooses to offer military training to (and it will be the government, not the individual armed services) is a matter over which the IOM Government has no control. And if the IOM government is content to allow RAF jets to use Ronaldsway for training fly-bys, then QED, it is inevitable that pilots from those other countries will be involved. So if sufficient numbers of Manx residents don’t like it, then they must prevail on IOMG to revoke permission for the RAF to use Ronaldsway. Whether IOMG can, in practice, do that, I know not, but possibly they can. Just don’t expect the Red Arrows ever again.

Well apparently not according to our friend Bernie, copied from the Celtic League Facebook page. Perhaps our constitutional agreement on defense is a little more two sided than you would have use believe?

THOSE BLOODY SAUDI’S AGAIN!

So this was the Isle of Man - UK constitutional agreement on Defence determined back in 1969 and it seems quite clear that Saudis or indeed military personnel from anywhere else around the globe cannot use the Isle of Man or its air space ‘except with the prior agreement of the Isle of Man government’.

Obviously if things have changed Chief Minister Howard Quayle MHK will be able to produce a document that contradicts this….

“PART V

“SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS

“Matters on which agreement has been reached...

“It is recommended that there should be the fullest consultation between the two governments before defence decisions directly affecting the Isle of Man are made;that the United Kingdom government should not use the Isle of Man for training activities or place defence equipment or installations on the island or station armed forces there except with the prior agreement of the isle of man government ; but there should be special provisions for emergency action in peace or war and for the procedure to be followed where agreement cannot be reached between the two governments

“REPORT of the JOINT WORKING PARTY on the CONSTITUTIONAL RELATIONSHIP between the ISLE OF MAN and the UNITED KINGDOM”

Bernard Moffatt

Celtic League

Edited by Chris C
  • Like 2

Bunch of time wasters. Wouldn't shed a tear if the Saudis dropped napalm on the lot of them.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Bunch of time wasters. Wouldn't shed a tear if the Saudis dropped napalm on the lot of them.

I love the smell of napalm in Malew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I love the smell of napalm in Malew.

Me too. It really is lovely.

• Haha 1