thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

Just throwing this in because I'm bored:

vehicle
/ˈviːɪk(ə)l/
noun
noun: vehicle; plural noun: vehicles
a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land

Mandatory insurance? Not sure. Some form of identifying mark so if you cause an accident and leg it there is still a chance of tracing you and claiming on insurance or putting a civil claim? That makes a degree of sense to me

• Like 1

I call it road tax, always have. I know it’s not actually a road tax. It really doesn’t matter. 

But I also get annoyed when people talk about the new ‘season’ of a telly programme instead of saying ‘series’ so I’m probably a hypocrite. 

Either way; feel free to count the shits I don’t give whether people call it road tax or VED. 

In a futile attempt to un-derail the thread. I ensure my bike; have done for nearly twenty five years; it costs me thirty quid a year and gives about one and a half million quid liability cover, never needed that though thankfully.

More importantly it pays to fix my bike when I crash it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

In a futile attempt to un-derail the thread. I ensure my bike; have done for nearly twenty five years; it costs me thirty quid a year and gives about one and a half million quid liability cover, never needed that though thankfully.

You are clearly a very responsible cyclist who values the need to insure yourself and other people in the event of accident and / or injury. It really is just a prudent and sensible precaution isn’t it? I can’t really see why so many posters have become so hot-headed just because I mentioned the benefit of adequate insurance for both parties in these situations. Luckily this was only £4,500 of damage to property not paying for someone on a life support machine for 6 weeks. It works both ways when differently insured / uninsured parties use the very same roads. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, The Lurker said:

But I also get annoyed when people talk about the new ‘season’ of a telly programme instead of saying ‘series’ so I’m probably a hypocrite.

What fresh hell is this?

A TV show is a series of broadcasts (or streams...) which is often broken down into an annual collection of episodes which consitutes a season.

How difficult can this be?

Edited by Bobbie Bobster
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I call it road tax, always have. I know it’s not actually a road tax. It really doesn’t matter. 

Either way; feel free to count the shits I don’t give whether people call it road tax or VED. 

Insurance becomes expensive and prohibitive if you have those year on year costs for a family

11 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

What fresh hell is this?

A TV show is a series of broadcasts (or streams...) which is often broken down into an annual collection of episodes which consitutes a season.

That's not really right.  The usual distinction between 'series' and 'season' is that the first is British and the second American.  It gets confused by the differences between television in the two countries.  British series then to be shorter (classically six episodes) while US ones can often be upwards of 20 and American TV schedules tend to be more fixed across the year, so a run of programmes will often start at  fixed points in the year.  And of course usage gets copies across the Atlantic.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Insurance becomes expensive and prohibitive if you have those year on year costs for a family

It does; but my last lot of bike repairs following a spill cost about £250; I've had an £800 bike stolen and several crash repairs over the years.

I reckon I've had the better end of the deal.

ETA:

The third party add-on only costs a few quid which I think shows how little risk the insurance companies see in cyclists causing serious accidents.

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 1

Case in Daily Wail today, cyclist gets fined for knocking down pedestrian even though she stepped out in front of him in a busy road whilst looking at her mobile, both were knocked unconscious but she was awarded damages.....what is the word coming to......

15 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

It's nice to see you have recognised your limitations and given up.

Now now,I haven't sunk to the level of your mental capacity yet

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Case in Daily Wail today, cyclist gets fined for knocking down pedestrian even though she stepped out in front of him in a busy road whilst looking at her mobile, both were knocked unconscious but she was awarded damages.....what is the word coming to......

How the harry hill did she get awarded damages?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Just read the story plus some of the comments. Witnesses state there wasn't a hope of him avoiding her. That judge should come and work on the island. He'd be a shoe in. Hopefully the cyclist will appeal/counter sue the stupid woman

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7152963/Yoga-teacher-staring-phone-hit-cyclist-wins-compensation.html

Edited by Neil Down
added linky thing

34 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Just read the story plus some of the comments. Witnesses state there wasn't a hope of him avoiding her. That judge should come and work on the island. He'd be a shoe in. Hopefully the cyclist will appeal/counter sue the stupid woman

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7152963/Yoga-teacher-staring-phone-hit-cyclist-wins-compensation.html

The technique with all Mail stories is to read them backwards.  Any actual information will appear in the final paragraphs while the headline, opening paragraph and so on are designed to rile up their readership to the state of perpetual indignation, safe in the knowledge that hardly anyone will read to the end of the article (there is scientific data for this).

In this case the key finding from the judge is 'The appropriate finding is that the parties were equally responsible and I make a finding of liability at 50/50.'  You'll also see that earlier on there was some evidence that another cyclist felt that the rider had been careless (though the judge decided against that on balance).  The basic thing here (again stated by the judge) is Even where a motorist or cyclist had the right of way, pedestrians who are established on the road have right of way. which is a very long standing legal principle. 

Damages have yet to be decided, but may not be substantial the complainant will only get half what she would have done and the 50-50 rule might mean that she will have to pay her own costs.  She may yet regret her day in Court.

• Like 3

Well done Roger, I admit I did not read the whole article as I would not pay to buy the paper just read it on my iPad.    But I still cannot see the justice when she was looking at her phone, lucky for her it was not a bus she collided with.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Well done Roger, I admit I did not read the whole article as I would not pay to buy the paper just read it on my iPad.    But I still cannot see the justice when she was looking at her phone, lucky for her it was not a bus she collided with.

You see this stupid practice in Douglas all the time Sid. The number of fuckwit young girls busy looking at their phones whilst pushing a pram out into the road. Beggars belief.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

It does; but my last lot of bike repairs following a spill cost about £250; I've had an £800 bike stolen and several crash repairs over the years.

I reckon I've had the better end of the deal.

That’s good value. Amazing more don’t do it.