Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, MrPB said:
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, Neil Down said:

Ordinarily I would agree. The problem for me is that the stupid woman was paying more attention to her phone than her surroundings 

But it doesn’t matter. The Highway Code effectively protects her rights and status as a pedestrian against every other form of mechanized transport. 

I have to agree. It could so easily have been a child or disabled person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I have to agree. It could so easily have been a child or disabled person.

On a phone - taking no notice of the surroundings. Well done to the brain dead walking amongst us

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

On a phone - taking no notice of the surroundings. Well done to the brain dead walking amongst us

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/fed-up-cyclist-attaches-air-horn-to-bike-to-get-pedestrians-to-move-out-of-the-way/

This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about cyclists. It is MY right of way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/fed-up-cyclist-attaches-air-horn-to-bike-to-get-pedestrians-to-move-out-of-the-way/

This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about cyclists. It is MY right of way.

Well watch where you are fucking going...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:
3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/fed-up-cyclist-attaches-air-horn-to-bike-to-get-pedestrians-to-move-out-of-the-way/

This is the sort of thing that pisses me off about cyclists. It is MY right of way.

Well watch where you are fucking going...

applies to the bike rider more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dilligaf said:

applies to the bike rider more.

Don’t be a dick dilli, he was and tried to alert the stupid woman but she was so engrossed in her phone...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Neil Down said:

Don’t be a dick dilli, he was and tried to alert the stupid woman but she was so engrossed in her phone...

No, he just rode his usual pace and expected others to jump out of his way.

Having driven artics for more than 30 years , I can assure you that I have seen every kind of dumb cyclist, even the ones who thought 20 kg of bike was going to show 44 ton of truck who had right of way.

Even now, after so much publicity, cyclists still ride 2 or 3 abreast or when on their own, 6ft. from the curb.

Do you really think pedestrians should not have the right to cross a road without having to dodge the Cavs and wannabe racers ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

No, he just rode his usual pace and expected others to jump out of his way.

Having driven artics for more than 30 years , I can assure you that I have seen every kind of dumb cyclist, even the ones who thought 20 kg of bike was going to show 44 ton of truck who had right of way.

Even now, after so much publicity, cyclists still ride 2 or 3 abreast or when on their own, 6ft. from the curb.

Do you really think pedestrians should not have the right to cross a road without having to dodge the Cavs and wannabe racers ? 

As both a cyclist and HGV class 1 driver both here and Europe, I have seen as much if not more than you. Try driving through Rome and you’ll appreciate just how foolish pedestrians can be. Drive through Paris and London and you will see both pedestrians and motorists behaving in a totally irrational way. Stop trying to blame cyclists for all the problems when both you and I know it is not always down to the cyclist. In this case it just suits the arguments of a few. Thankfully, not a lot agree with you. The crowdfunding page set up for the guy is now in excess of £50k.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if she'd have stepped out in front of a lorry driven by Dilli   would Dilli be happy to be held responsible for the incident ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Neil Down said:

As both a cyclist and HGV class 1 driver both here and Europe, I have seen as much if not more than you. Try driving through Rome and you’ll appreciate just how foolish pedestrians can be. Drive through Paris and London and you will see both pedestrians and motorists behaving in a totally irrational way. Stop trying to blame cyclists for all the problems when both you and I know it is not always down to the cyclist. In this case it just suits the arguments of a few. Thankfully, not a lot agree with you. The crowdfunding page set up for the guy is now in excess of £50k.

I am not saying that all cyclists are to blame when accidents happen.

If I read correctly, this guy had time to shout a warning, try to swerve and then brake before impact. Hm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point has been missed that in the case of the cyclist facing 100k of costs, a cyclist in a city, riding into a green light at a crossing has few alternatives to avoid a pedestrian in such a crowded environment. He could have swerved and been killed by another vehicle. He would have been just another 'dickhead cyclist' casualty. 

Maybe fining pedestrians who use smartphones when crossing the road would help clear things up a bit? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think the point has been missed that in the case of the cyclist facing 100k of costs, a cyclist in a city, riding into a green light at a crossing has few alternatives to avoid a pedestrian in such a crowded environment. He could have swerved and been killed by another vehicle. He would have been just another 'dickhead cyclist' casualty. 

Maybe fining pedestrians who use smartphones when crossing the road would help clear things up a bit? 

How about him riding within his ability to stop, should he need to ? I guess he was lucky that it wasn't a truck that pulled out in front of him eh? ( his shouting a warning would maybe fall on deaf ears eh ?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I guess he was lucky that it wasn't a truck that pulled out in front of him eh?

Maybe he'd never seen a truck using a pedestrian crossing before.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

How about him riding within his ability to stop, should he need to ? I guess he was lucky that it wasn't a truck that pulled out in front of him eh? ( his shouting a warning would maybe fall on deaf ears eh ?)

"The yoga expert was staring at her mobile as she suddenly walked out from the crowded pavement into the road, the Central London County Court heard"

you obviously didn't read the story did you...

as it was a crowded pavement, he would have been aware of his surroundings and may well have been riding within his ability. At least he was aware enough to shout a warning and not concentrate on a feckin mobile phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cyclist should be prepared for people acting irrationally and the verdict was correct. However the travesty imo is the blood sucking lawyers fees costing £100,000. The woman knocked down only got 4k but the lawyers get over 20 times that. The sooner lawyers are replaced by computers the better!

 https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/17/lawyers-could-be-replaced-by-artificial-intelligence.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...