Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

Why should cyclists not have to pay road tax and they insurance, they use the road and are quite capable of causing accidents what if they run a child over or any pedestrian?     This yawn scenario does not give a valid answer.    Why should cyclists be treated like sacred cows ?    They should start taking responsibility like everyone else.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I must admit though, I am coming round to thinking that there might be a case for insurance cover on cyclists. Maybe I'm going soft.

I suspect quite a few do have it, mainly for damage to themselves/their bike but Third Party will probably be part of the package.  But you have to look at the realities here - in any collision between a cycle and another vehicle (whoever the fault is) cycle and cyclist are nearly always going to suffer a larger amount of damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Why should cyclists not have to pay road tax and they insurance, they use the road and are quite capable of causing accidents what if they run a child over or any pedestrian?     This yawn scenario does not give a valid answer.    Why should cyclists be treated like sacred cows ?    They should start taking responsibility like everyone else.

no such thing as road tax Sid, how many times do you and others need reminding

This chap did ok.

In this case the prosecutor himself professed to the court that "The sun was a major factor in this incident, It was very low in the sky and blinding when travelling towards Port St Mary - it was simply a case of not seeing the cyclist". Who needs a defence lawyer with a prosecutor saying that?

1687942923_20180622IMXpNNcyclistluckytobealive011.thumb.jpg.86a38d3feeda8ed1e2f8043471e34f76.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, piebaps said:

Aren't we past using the term gay as an insult?

Ooooh, get her!

Edited by Sheldon
ETA: Joke. It's a fucking joke! AKA the "Jo Brand" defence.

The driver who got taken to court was insured. His insurance will pick up the £4500, as its compensation, the equivalent of damages.

What worries me is the thought that the cyclists, with expensive bikes, and the potential to harm third parties, didn’t have insurance. It’s cheap. I’ve got it for my wheelchair. Fully comp. Public liability. The lot. £60.

• Like 4

Wouldn't House insurance cover the bikes? Of course, the cost of some of these bikes being several Ks, they would need to be notified as a separate item which may incur an extra cost? Maybe that's why not all would be covered.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

This yawn scenario does not give a valid answer.    

But the two links I provided gave detailed answers. Here they are again:

http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycle/licensed-to-cycle/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2019/mar/18/should-cyclists-be-licensed-and-insured-robert-winston

Your inability to understand the relative risks to third parties presented by motorists and by cyclists shows that you lack the judgement to be allowed to take charge of a motor vehicle.

Edited by Yibble

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Wouldn't House insurance cover the bikes? Of course, the cost of some of these bikes being several Ks, they would need to be notified as a separate item which may incur an extra cost? Maybe that's why not all would be covered.

I got my wife's bike covered on the house insurance as you rightly state Kopek. It didn't work out that much dearer either

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Do you regret being a tool? 

the article doesn't say the cyclist weren't insured, but if someone hits someone else the injured party don't usually claim on their insurance. They claim on the other driver's. The courts found this driver guilty so why would the injured party need to claim off their own insurance and potentially lose any NCB etc? Cyclists should not have to have insurance, that would stop children from using pedal cycles and what about pedestrians?? 

This is just a bigoted rant against cyclists with a good measure of homophobia thrown in.

I’m not that bothered what you think. You sound like the typical self-entitled idiot cyclist who thinks they can do no wrong and the world owes them something. If they have bikes and gear costing £4500 they are idiots not to insure it anyway regardless of whether they’re required to or not. The bikes probably cost more than his van in this instance and they expect a payout even though they are not insured themselves if they hit anyone else. Children don’t generally ride on public roads either you muppet. I was taking about cyclists driving on public highways with cars, and motorbikes, and vans and trucks - which all have to compulsorily be insured in case they have an accident with another road user.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not that bothered what you think. You sound like the typical self-entitled idiot cyclist who thinks they can do no wrong and the world owes them something. If they have bikes and gear costing £4500 they are idiots not to insure it anyway regardless of whether they’re required to or not. The bikes probably cost more than his van in this instance and they expect a payout even though they are not insured themselves if they hit anyone else. Children don’t generally ride on public roads either you muppet. I was taking about cyclists driving on public highways with cars, and motorbikes, and vans and trucks - which all have to compulsorily be insured in case they have an accident with another road user.

Have you always been this bitter

rhetorical question

You are still missing the point if a cyclist ran you over today what would happen you could end up with life threatening injuries with no redress to insurance.    What if a child gets injured and is badly injured and a parent has to give up work to look after it.    Forget all the motor vehicle scenarios.    Just think cyclist and pedestrian.    If it was your child that was hit I bet you would have a different view on the matter.   And what if one cyclist crashes with another cyclist?    They should be insured.

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

Aren't we past using the term gay as an insult?

Maybe 10-15 years ago there was an extra push to indoctrinate school children about the use of the word, and how it should not be used in a negative sense. As a direct result the word 'gay' was used by school children far and wide in every possible derogatory and otherwise context.

'Those new trainers are gay'. 

'These chips are gay'

You can push propaganda too far. Young people aren't as stupid as their teachers and other adults would like to believe.

36 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

You are still missing the point if a cyclist ran you over today what would happen you could end up with life threatening injuries with no redress to insurance.    What if a child gets injured and is badly injured and a parent has to give up work to look after it.    Forget all the motor vehicle scenarios.    Just think cyclist and pedestrian.    If it was your child that was hit I bet you would have a different view on the matter.   And what if one cyclist crashes with another cyclist?    They should be insured.

I don’t think i have missed the point. I agree that cyclists should be covered. The op on this thread was whining because a driver had to pay out on an accident caused by him