Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

You are still missing the point if a cyclist ran you over today what would happen you could end up with life threatening injuries with no redress to insurance.    What if a child gets injured and is badly injured and a parent has to give up work to look after it.    Forget all the motor vehicle scenarios.    Just think cyclist and pedestrian.    If it was your child that was hit I bet you would have a different view on the matter.   And what if one cyclist crashes with another cyclist?    They should be insured.

Nobody is missing the point.

Is your argument that anyone whose actions may present any kind of risk to others, however remote that risk, should be have mandatory third party insurance? If so, you at least have a logically valid argument, if not a rational one. On the basis of your logic, cyclists should have cycling insurance, trombonists should have tromboning insurance, people purchasing newspapers should have newspaper carrying insurance (what if their paper blew away in a gust and obscured the windscreen of a tipper truck? Won't somebody think of the children?)  However more rational human beings would conclude that, given the evidence of the widespread caused done by drivers and their motor vehicles, mandatory insurance for motor vehicle drivers makes sense. Whereas given the almost negligible incidence of harm caused by cyclists, trombonists and newspaper bearers, mandatory insurance would be silly.  Nevertheless, cyclists, trombonists and newspaper enthusiasts remain just as liable for their negligence as motorists are for theirs.

Again, read the links. They may help you get a grip on reality.

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 2

Didn't a cyclist run someone down , and kill them in London a few months ago?

A friend's daughter in law was run over by a cyclist in Whitechapel ( on the pavement FFS) who left the scene , she was hospitalised , cyclist not traced :angry:

Just think it may be prudent to have insurance .:flowers:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, display name said:

Cyclists should only have two large wheels. On one axle,operated by hands.

The wheels came off that post quite rapidly!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, paswt said:

A friend's daughter in law was run over by a cyclist in Whitechapel ( on the pavement FFS) who left the scene , she was hospitalised , cyclist not traced :angry:

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how mandatory cycling insurance would have helped in that situation though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

British Cycling members, which many local cyclists are, have liability insurance as part of their membership. Covers claims against them for up to £15 million.

Would nearly pay for the new prom that, with all the damage they've done to it, having not paid any road tax and all that.

Edited by sm-iom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, paswt said:

On average three deaths of pedestrians per year for the past 3 years have been caused by cyclists. The London incident was as a result of an illegal racing type bike with no front brake which contributed significantly to the incident. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, paswt said:

So if the cyclist wasn’t traced, how did the insurance work out

16 hours ago, gettafa said:

This chap did ok.

In this case the prosecutor himself professed to the court that "The sun was a major factor in this incident, It was very low in the sky and blinding when travelling towards Port St Mary - it was simply a case of not seeing the cyclist". Who needs a defence lawyer with a prosecutor saying that?

1687942923_20180622IMXpNNcyclistluckytobealive011.thumb.jpg.86a38d3feeda8ed1e2f8043471e34f76.jpg

Being blinded by the sun is a regular feature in car vs bike incidents. A friend of mine killed a cyclist in those circumstances about 15 years ago. 

Personally, when driving in those situations I virtually stop - such that I’m a bit concerned a following driver will run into me. Cyclists too should realise that if they’re blinded by the sun they’re vulnerable to following cars who won’t see them. I’ve told my kids in those situations to get off the bike and walk, along the pavement if there is one, or at least as close to the side as possible while watching out for cars. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Neil Down said:

So if the cyclist wasn’t traced, how did the insurance work out

Couldn't be traced because he didn't have to have a registration number :lol:

13 hours ago, Yibble said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how mandatory cycling insurance would have helped in that situation though.

It would if they forced the bikes to be registered and have plates. Stops the smarmy cyclist riding off after maiming someone without being caught. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, manxst said:

On average three deaths of pedestrians per year for the past 3 years have been caused by cyclists. 

Not quite. That's roughly the UK figure for pedestrian collision deaths involving a bicycle, not those caused by cyclists. It includes accidents caused by pedestrians as well as by cyclists. It does not include cyclist deaths caused by pedestrians.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/08/killer-cyclists-roads-bikes-pedestrian-collision-deaths-britain

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Yibble said:

It does not include cyclist deaths caused by pedestrians 

Highly probably because there aren’t any. You’re clutching at straws to try to challenge manxst. 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Highly probably because there aren’t any. You’re clutching at straws to try to challenge manxst. 

The only person clutching at straws would be you. Is it because you never learned to ride a bike and now feel bitter against those that can?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

Being blinded by the sun is a regular feature in car vs bike incidents. A friend of mine killed a cyclist in those circumstances about 15 years ago. 

Personally, when driving in those situations I virtually stop - such that I’m a bit concerned a following driver will run into me. Cyclists too should realise that if they’re blinded by the sun they’re vulnerable to following cars who won’t see them. I’ve told my kids in those situations to get off the bike and walk, along the pavement if there is one, or at least as close to the side as possible while watching out for cars. 

Still poor driving. No excuse for it. Grown adults should be able to read the conditions. And having an inoperative windscreen washer as in the case shown is no excuse. The person driving must have known the windscreen washer wasn't working and to use it in mitigation is outrageous.

It's all about who you know, eh.

• Thanks 1