Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

Recommended Posts

Interesting piece in the Guardian headed: Painted bike lanes are waste of money, say cycling commissioners

Quote

The government has wasted hundreds of millions of pounds painting pointless white lines on busy roads and calling them cycle lanes, according to Britain’s cycling and walking commissioners.

In a letter to the transport secretary, Chris Grayling, the commissioners – including the Olympic champions Chris Boardman (Greater Manchester), Dame Sarah Storey (Sheffield City region) and Will Norman (London) – say painted cycle lanes are a “gesture” and do nothing to make people feel safer on a bike. Recent studies have shown they can actually make people less safe, they argue.

Though, given that it's Grayling, it may just mean that he will install more of them.  Of course if you see the main points of running an infrastructure department as (a) producing large amounts of greenwash PR that fools nobody and (b) giving lucrative contracts to your mates (or indeed anyone who can fool you), then these 'cycle lanes' are perfect.

Do you think Grayling may have had special training from the DoI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Do you think Grayling may have had special training from the DoI?

 No. He’s an entirely self-taught bell-end.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was mentioned on here earlier about the "cycle lanes" but I have noticed when cycling along Peel Road, vehicles get as close to the demarcation line as possible whereas on the open road they give you a lot more space. One or two numpties still about but I'm finding a big improvement in cycle awareness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will of course act like the kiss of death and motorists will revert to leaving next to no space when overtaking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It was mentioned on here earlier about the "cycle lanes" but I have noticed when cycling along Peel Road, vehicles get as close to the demarcation line as possible whereas on the open road they give you a lot more space. One or two numpties still about but I'm finding a big improvement in cycle awareness. 

Come and ride in the one in Ramsey, you can have as much space as you want - you'll be the only fecker that ever uses it :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPB said:

Are you ok? You really do sound incandescent with rage of late. People pay taxes to be allowed to use public roads and have to display a disk showing that they have paid the appropriate government levy. Thanks. 

It's a vehicle tax not road tax... Pedestrians, cyclists and horses are exempt no vehicle tax, they can still use the roads without displaying a disk, thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

It's a vehicle tax not road tax... Pedestrians, cyclists and horses are exempt no vehicle tax, they can still use the roads without displaying a disk, thanks.

I think everyone knows what it actually is. Save for the main argumentative poster in this (and every other) thread who seems to just like being pedantic as a tactic to try to wind up and troll other posters. Call it road tax, call it a vehicle tax, call it VED it does not really matter what term of phrase you use. Everyone knows it’s the tax you pay to be allowed to use your car or van on the road. So arguing the toss around pathetic semantics just makes you look like a complete tit really. You have to buy a tax disc to be allowed to legally use a vehicle on a public road. Everyone gets that and even IOMG refers to “road tax” on its website so maybe Neil could pick up the phone and pointlessly argue with them instead? 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPB said:

I think everyone knows what it actually is. Save for the main argumentative poster in this (and every other) thread who seems to just like being pedantic as a tactic to try to wind up and troll other posters. Call it road tax, call it a vehicle tax, call it VED it does not really matter what term of phrase you use. Everyone knows it’s the tax you pay to be allowed to use your car or van on the road. So arguing the toss around pathetic semantics just makes you look like a complete tit really. You have to buy a tax disc to be allowed to legally use a vehicle on a public road. 

The only one looking like a knob jockey on here is you sunshine. Let it go, nobody is interested in your circular argument. Read the Duck's last post and see if it sinks in. (at this point I have serious doubts you understand anything)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

The only one looking like a knob jockey on here is you sunshine. Let it go, nobody is interested in your circular argument. Read the Duck's last post and see if it sinks in. (at this point I have serious doubts you understand anything)

I don’t engage with trolls and really you sound incredibly angry. I think you’re making yourself look very silly indeed. I’m sure 90% of people on here are aware of what “road tax” is in common parlance. But I’m sure it’s much easier for you to troll people by being a belligerent pendant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like how pb still calls it a road tax but admits that you buy a tax disc for a VEHICLE. 

He probably thinks that all the ‘road tax’ collected gets spent on roads exclusively. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Like how pb still calls it a road tax but admits that you buy a tax disc for a VEHICLE. 

He probably thinks that all the ‘road tax’ collected gets spent on roads exclusively. 

Common usage / common parlance - most none belligerent trolls understand how general words and phrases in common usage apply. Such as “Road tax”. You seem to be as angry as Neil the troll. Are you related? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

Edited by MrPB
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my renewal through in the post a few days ago. They call it a vehicle licence application form. No reference to road tax anywhere on the form, but does refer to the vehicle duty being based on CO2 emission.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Like how pb still calls it a road tax but admits that you buy a tax disc for a VEHICLE. 

He probably thinks that all the ‘road tax’ collected gets spent on roads exclusively. 

Exactly Gizo. He argues the term of phrase isn't important but it is. The common misunderstanding remains that it pays for roads which of course it doesn't. they are paid for out of general taxation which means that very tax payer regardless of whether they use the roads pays for them.

 

I've also been on the Govt web site. I can find lots of references to Vehicle Tax but none for Road Tax. Happy to be corrected by PB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Exactly Gizo. He argues the term of phrase isn't important but it is. The common misunderstanding remains that it pays for roads which of course it doesn't. they are paid for out of general taxation which means that very tax payer regardless of whether they use the roads pays for them.

 

I've also been on the Govt web site. I can find lots of references to Vehicle Tax but none for Road Tax. Happy to be corrected by PB

I’m sorry that you don’t understand what common usage or common parlance actually is in favor of trolling like Neil Down.

Also read the Wiki link above 

“In the 2015 [UK] budget the government announced that from 2020 the revenue would be ring-fenced for expenditure on the strategic road network.” 

So all of the VED collected will be spent in the UK road network from next year. 

Edited by MrPB
Added quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrPB said:

The insurance and road tax argument is one worthy of debating though. 

No it isn't, aside from amongst the stupid. Every time the issues come up the only sensible conclusion for those of rational mind is that introducing  mandatory licensing or insurance for cyclists would be a very silly idea indeed. Those who advocate same are really just calling themselves out as fools (and sometimes as potentially dangerous road users). If you can come up with a new, credible argument that overturns that conclusion, great, I'm listening. However so far all we've heard here is the hard-of-thinking rolling out the same old tired, discredited arguments yet again.

http://ipayroadtax.com/

http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycle/licensed-to-cycle/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2019/mar/18/should-cyclists-be-licensed-and-insured-robert-winston

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/08/killer-cyclists-roads-bikes-pedestrian-collision-deaths-britain

https://cyclingfallacies.com/en/

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/what-are-cycling-uks-views-regulating-cyclists-behaviour

are just some of the sites / articles which will help dispel anything you are likely to argue. There are many more.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...