Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
thesultanofsheight

They should have had insurance

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’m sorry that you don’t understand what common usage or common parlance actually is in favor of trolling like Neil Down.

Also read the Wiki link above 

“In the 2015 [UK] budget the government announced that from 2020 the revenue would be ring-fenced for expenditure on the strategic road network.” 

So all of the VED collected will be spent in the UK road network from next year. 

You said in a post above that the IOMG refer to it as Road Tax. Now you are pulling quotes off a Wikipedia  page that doesn't even have one single reference to the Isle of Man on it. Your reference regarding the future of VED is interesting but doesn't represent the current position which has been the case since the mid 1930's.

I'm not trolling I'm just being factual. Sorry if that is an issue for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

You said in a post above that the IOMG refer to it as Road Tax. Now you are pulling quotes off a Wikipedia  page that doesn't even have one single reference to the Isle of Man on it. Your reference regarding the future of VED is interesting but doesn't represent the current position which has been the case since the mid 1930's.

I'm not trolling I'm just being factual. Sorry if that is an issue for you.

This is an English language site isn’t it? I’m sure therefore that 90% of the people here or more are aware of what common usage or common parlance relates to. Those who aren’t incredibly angry and pointlessly trolling that is. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. People often use generic phrases for things that are generally understood by other (non pedantic, non trolling) people who speak the same language. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I think everyone knows what it actually is. Save for the main argumentative poster in this (and every other) thread who seems to just like being pedantic as a tactic to try to wind up and troll other posters. Call it road tax, call it a vehicle tax, call it VED it does not really matter what term of phrase you use. Everyone knows it’s the tax you pay to be allowed to use your car or van on the road. So arguing the toss around pathetic semantics just makes you look like a complete tit really. You have to buy a tax disc to be allowed to legally use a vehicle on a public road. Everyone gets that and even IOMG refers to “road tax” on its website so maybe Neil could pick up the phone and pointlessly argue with them instead? 

As stated earlier it does matter what you call it from a sake of perception and as stated earlier not all road users have to display a disk

Highlighted  is the statement you made which you are choosing to ignore. The IOMG page refers to it as vehicle tax. You made the statement but now don't appear to be able to back it up. If you shot from the hip just man up and say you made a mistake without this needless obfuscation about trolling.

Again as I said in an earlier post if you are correct I am happy to accept that. i don't find apologising when I am wrong such a difficult thing to do  

Edited by The Duck of Atholl
spelling
  • Thanks 1

You don't seem to understand English and seem to be incredibly angry for some inexplicable reason. I don't engage with trolls sadly. Common usage is a very accepted concept in English as upsetting as that may seem for your general pedantic forum trolling ;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

You don't seem to understand English and seem to be incredibly angry for some inexplicable reason. I don't engage with trolls sadly. Common usage is a very accepted concept in English as upsetting as that may seem for your general pedantic forum trolling ;)

I take it from this reply that you can't back up your IOMG statement. No matter. Love and peace man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MrPB said:

This is an English language site isn’t it? I’m sure therefore that 90% of the people here or more are aware of what common usage or common parlance relates to. Those who aren’t incredibly angry and pointlessly trolling that is. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. People often use generic phrases for things that are generally understood by other (non pedantic, non trolling) people who speak the same language. 

90% of who? There are only about 5 of us still engaging with you (purely out of morbid curiosity) and none of them agree with you. 

Once you get to high school, you had better work harder at maths. It'll reap dividends for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I think everyone knows what it actually is. Save for the main argumentative poster in this (and every other) thread who seems to just like being pedantic as a tactic to try to wind up and troll other posters. Call it road tax, call it a vehicle tax, call it VED it does not really matter what term of phrase you use. Everyone knows it’s the tax you pay to be allowed to use your car or van on the road. So arguing the toss around pathetic semantics just makes you look like a complete tit really. You have to buy a tax disc to be allowed to legally use a vehicle on a public road. Everyone gets that and even IOMG refers to “road tax” on its website so maybe Neil could pick up the phone and pointlessly argue with them instead? 

Just got off the phone to IOMG

Me: Could you please advise what Road Tax is?

IOMG: Sweet Christ on a cracker, we just had a call from a simpleton calling himself MrPB

Me: It was he who advised me to call you

IOMG: He's a fruitcake who should be at school instead of annoying the grown ups

Me: Thanks, sorry for bothering you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Just got off the phone to IOMG

Me: Could you please advise what Road Tax is?

IOMG: Sweet Christ on a cracker, we just had a call from a simpleton calling himself MrPB

Me: It was he who advised me to call you

IOMG: He's a fruitcake who should be at school instead of annoying the grown ups

Me: Thanks, sorry for bothering you

Thank you for going the extra distance in your trolling today. I’m sure there’s someone who appreciated it ;)

Here’s an idea PB, from now on call it vehicle tax, vehicle excise duty or vehicle license. Not road tax. As with a lot of things in life you learn something new everyday. 

• Thanks 2

Like three bald men fighting over a comb...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

It's because they're bald they don't go out! They stay on here arguing with anyone!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Here’s an idea PB, from now on call it vehicle tax, vehicle excise duty or vehicle license. Not road tax. As with a lot of things in life you learn something new everyday. 

You mean exactly like I did here while trying to explain the concept of common usage to a bunch of angry trolling idiots? As I said the default language of this forum is English I believe. It’s not difficult to understand. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

9 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Thanks! Maybe you can have another go and see if you can get over it too.

Nah,I'll just sit back and watch the stunt carts trying

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Like three bald men fighting over a comb...

You kopek and who?

2 hours ago, display name said:

Nah,I'll just sit back and watch the stunt carts trying

It's nice to see you have recognised your limitations and given up.

• Haha 1