Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Is it now time for an all island speed limit?

Recommended Posts

And the speed thing is red herring, defined.

Better driver training, regular and higher standard of testing. The clear answer on an evidence based approach to policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

You do realise that editing another individual's posts to change their meaning is beneath contempt, don't you?

Who was that addressed to?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

And the speed thing is red herring, defined.

Better driver training, regular and higher standard of testing. The clear answer on an evidence based approach to policy.

is there a precedent for such measures elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just out of interest. There is a motorcycle skid mark on the Mountain Road on the Hailwood's Rise straight section between the Bungalow and Brandywell. It must be getting on for quarter of a mile long. I rode past it today.

At the Brandywell end, just before the Hailwood bench, it ends in a confusion of yellow accident paint marks, scars in the tarmac and oil stains. It was clearly recently left, possibly during TT?

My point is, I cannot think what sort of speed the motorcycle concerned must have been doing to leave a skid mark of that length before disaster struck. And as to whether it was due to braking or a mechanical failure, I know not. But the speed must have been incredible.

Edited by Non-Believer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just out of interest. There is a motorcycle skid mark on the Mountain Road on the Hailwood's Rise straight section between the Bungalow and Brandywell. It must be getting on for quarter of a mile long. I rode past it today.

At the Brandywell end, just before the Hailwood bench, it ends in a confusion of yellow accident paint marks, scars in the tarmac and oil stains. It was clearly recently left, possibly during TT?

My point is, I cannot think what sort of speed the motorcycle concerned must have been doing to leave a skid mark of that length before disaster struck. And as to whether it was due to braking or a mechanical failure, I know not. But the speed must have been incredible.

It may have been some clown doing a rolling burnout and lost control? It's very unlikely that a motorcycle wheel would be locked under braking for quarter of a mile, although a gearbox locking up would cause a long skid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It may have been some clown doing a rolling burnout and lost control? It's very unlikely that a motorcycle wheel would be locked under braking for quarter of a mile, although a gearbox locking up would cause a long skid?

It looks like a skidmark rather a burnout Max, and there are "skips" in it towards the end. Take a look if you're passing that way, I think it'll be there a while :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jeez, it scared me stupid when my old Royal Enfield Meteor broke its gearbox mainshaft and locked the back wheel at 40mph . I had previous experience on two strokes so always rode with two fingers on the clutch lever even though the Meteor was a four stroke. Didn't stop the wheel from locking though.

Edited by doc.fixit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

should have bought a Vincent Meteor  Doc :):flowers:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It looks like a skidmark rather a burnout Max, and there are "skips" in it towards the end. Take a look if you're passing that way, I think it'll be there a while :lol:

That happened five minutes after the road reopened two way as I was caught up in the ensuing chaos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the skid marks at Graham’s Memorial where a car has gone too quick (80ish mpg) round the left hander, over steered and gone off the left side of the road, across the grass verge and down into the field below. Must’ve been a proper brown trousers moment when that happened. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, finlo said:

Nothing to see here,  move along.

 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:40 PM, Chinahand said:

Is there any evidence to bear on this issue what is the mountain road accident rate compared to say the A537.

Does the IOM Police traffic department publish figures on accident rates?  If not why not?

Yes. Each year in the annual report.

And the answer is, regrettably, yes. It was time a decade ago. I like a fast run as much as the next guy, but the current situation is now untenable with the presence of a National Road Safety Strategy. At its most extreme, it is an art.2 issue.

Following the CC on Twitter over TT, i suspect that he will shortly present COMIN with a fait accompli. If at that stage they still resist introduction they are on very unstable ground in terms of their public safety obligations.

Still a need for speed, and track days, along with some marshalled and managed road closures would fill the gap.

I write this as I sit in my garden in North Ramsey, listening to bikes being caned up the Mountain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 5:27 PM, Bobbie Bobster said:

And the speed thing is red herring, defined.

Better driver training, regular and higher standard of testing. The clear answer on an evidence based approach to policy.

And all this too! But it will take decades to reap the benefits.

Worth remembering that speed limits also result in lower emissions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48723302

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...