Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Car parking in Douglas

I am having great difficulty believing what I have just heard on Manx Radio news.   Douglas Corporation are asking the government for compensation as the spaces provided on the promenade because of the current promenade works are taking business off their car parks.   Really !!!!   Apart from the last sneaky rise do they not want people to visit and shop in Douglas ?  .   I nearly choked on my coffee, whatever next.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I am having great difficulty believing what I have just heard on Manx Radio news.   Douglas Corporation are asking the government for compensation as the spaces provided on the promenade because of the current promenade works are taking business off their car parks.   Really !!!!   Apart from the last sneaky rise do they not want people to visit and shop in Douglas ?  .   I nearly choked on my coffee, whatever next.

It doesn’t surprise me. Douglas Corpy are just greedy incompetent bastards. People are parking less as they’re putting up their parking fees all the time. But you can’t se what’s right in front of your faces can you? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bet they are mystified as to why hardly anyone parks there in a Sunday since they started charging. 

Probably something to do with M&S not stocking enough sandwiches or something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I bet they are mystified as to why hardly anyone parks there in a Sunday since they started charging. 

Yes indeed. People now staying at home on a Sunday and making their own coffee and bacon sandwich rather than driving in for a bit of social time. Or sensibly driving to Cycle 360 in Braddan where you can park free and walk approximately 20 feet before getting a coffee and breakfast. Yet they just can’t see how their pricing policy is killing local businesses

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The town looks quiet during the day anyway? They probably anticipated a windfall once the promenade scheme started, hence the price rises?

• Like 1

It's not just the Corpy. This grab, grab, grab attitude and expectancy that the public can simply be squeezed for more every time exists right through the local public sector. Where are the savings and economies that the electorate were effectively promised, courtesy of Departmental budget cuts?

The cuts may well have been implemented by Treasury but the Departments simply continue to hike and impose new charges in order to compensate. There's no intention of any economising whatsoever at Departmental level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Manx Radio story explains what is happening here:

Council losing money from temporary Loch prom spaces

200 spaces provided by Department of Infrastructure since January

Douglas Council claims it's losing money from its car parks, due to the temporary spaces offered by government on Loch Promenade walkway.

Around two hundred spaces have been provided by the Department of Infrastructure since January this year, to replace the loss of fifty spaces caused by the promenade scheme.

It's resulted in falling occupancy rates over the last three months at the Council-run Bottleneck, Chester Street, and Drumgold Street car parks, and a subsequent loss of revenue.

The latter two facilities are owned by government but are run by the local authority under a licence agreement.

Council Leader David Christian cautioned that the scrapping of free Sunday parking at Chester Street and the Bottleneck may also have impacted use of the sites.

Only 29 per cent of the spaces at Chester Street were occupied through May, which caused Councillor Ritchie McNicoll to lament:

'You could rent out half of the car park for footy practice at times... it's dreadful'.

The Council has resolved to seek compensation from the DOI for the loss, by way of a rebate from its licence fee for the Drumgold and Chester Street sites.

It's also requesting the department limits the number of spaces it's offering on the Loch Promenade walkway, or pays back the local authority accordingly.

(my bold).  Because the Council pays the DoI a fee to run the car parks, it is claiming the the DoI has undermined its business by providing more free spaces than normal and therefore they should pay the DoI less in the way of fees.  Obviously any battle between those two giants of incompetence has its comic side, but there may be a legal  case there.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Council Leader David Christian cautioned that the scrapping of free Sunday parking....may also have impacted use of the sites"

No shit Sherlock?  "MAY"?

See my above post. It's the whole attitude that people will stump up ad infinitum and won't vote with their feet. And it's somebody else's fault (in this case DOI) if they do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But aren’t the free spaces just replacing those lost while the prom works are going on?

So there is no net loss

It only raises one question for me, why aren't the car parks operated by the DOI? why do DBC pay a 'licence fee'

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kevster said:

But aren’t the free spaces just replacing those lost while the prom works are going on?

So there is no net loss

According to the Manx Radio piece above:Around two hundred spaces have been provided by the Department of Infrastructure since January this year, to replace the loss of fifty spaces caused by the promenade scheme.  So that's a nett gain of 150.  Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but that's what they're saying.

20 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It only raises one question for me, why aren't the car parks operated by the DOI? why do DBC pay a 'licence fee'

Presumably because the Corpy already operate some in the town, though while they took over running those, it's not quite clear if the DoI continues to run others, like the one behind the Bus Station, and if so why.

Posted (edited)

The Corpy collect a lot of money from the shops in rates but seem determined to drive them out of business with their attitude towards parking and sneaky rising charges.    When these businesses cease to trade they will be short on the income the rates bring in as empty buildings only pay a percentage of the full value.   There is no one making fortunes in the street because of high rent and rates, high electricity costs etc..  The Corporation just does not see the bigger picture they should be on the side of the traders not making life more difficult for them.   The saying wake up and smell the coffee may come true when all that is left is coffee shops and charity shops, it has happened across the water it can happen here.

Edited by hissingsid
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Corpy collect a lot of money from the shops in rates but seem determined to drive them out of business with their attitude towards parking and sneaky rising charges.    When these businesses cease to trade they will be short on the income the rates bring in as empty buildings only pay a percentage of the full value.   There is no one making fortunes in the street because of high rent and rates, high electricity costs etc..  The Corporation just does not see the bigger picture they should be on the side of the traders not making life more difficult for them.   The saying wake up and smell the coffee may come true when all that is left is coffee shops and charity shops, it has happened across the water it can happen here.

Not can, already is!

• Like 1

The Govt give us something for free and Dlas Corp want to take it away???

Who's side are they on?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The Govt give us something for free and Dlas Corp want to take it away???

Who's side are they on?

There's not a single member of that outfit that could run a bath let alone a town!

Edited by finlo
Stupid tablet!
  • Thanks 1