Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Eliza C

Help with a translation

I have just read a previous appeal for translation assistance and would like to ask a similar question.

Many years ago someone, who I understood to be a fluent Manx speaker, gave me a translation of the  house name 'The Old Byre' (as in cowshed/cow byre) .

His translation was 'Yn Shenn Vaaieagh".

There seem to be a surprising number of highly accomplished Manx scholars out there, many more than I imagined! 

I wonder if one of you would kindly comment as to whether the translation I was given is an accurate and/or acceptable one.

Culture Vannin do translations. They can be emailed via translations (at) culturevannin.im 

I'm not sure if they charge though. It doesn't mention it on their site. I contacted them a few years ago over a simple phrase and was never asked to pay anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eliza C said:

I have just read a previous appeal for translation assistance and would like to ask a similar question.

Many years ago someone, who I understood to be a fluent Manx speaker, gave me a translation of the  house name 'The Old Byre' (as in cowshed/cow byre) .

His translation was 'Yn Shenn Vaaieagh".

There seem to be a surprising number of highly accomplished Manx scholars out there, many more than I imagined! 

I wonder if one of you would kindly comment as to whether the translation I was given is an accurate and/or acceptable one.

If they were fluent Eliza, what makes you doubt them now?

I’ve a pamphlet called Give Your House a Manx Name  from 1973  

it says The Old Homestead is Yn Shen Valley  however I guess barn convertions weren’t a thing back then because there are no names for barns or sheds let alone a cowshed or byre  

LDV :) hello lovely x (you've probably been back for ages and I might have already said hello but I'm old and forgetful) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What she said.

29 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I've only been looking on here within the last month.  Thank you though. xxx

On here or the forum generally?