Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Skype - best alternatives

Posted (edited)

I've been with Skype a long time and have gone with the various directions and it was progressing well, but the takeover by Microsoft seems to be the final straw. It just seems so slow to load and respond. 

I use Skype in the office and need to use phone numbers for outgoing calls, in preference to the mobile from when the landline was dumped. Not too bothered about video.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

Edited by gettafa

I'm actually looking at something similar in the office too.  My understanding is Skype is due to be completely phased out in the next year or so and replaced by Microsoft 'Teams'.

One option I've heard about but not yet tested is Whatsapp.  Apparently if you have this on your phone already you can use it on your computer, but you will need to download an 'Android emulator'. 

I have just loaded Viber, which needs to be loaded onto mobile too, and giving this a go for now.

I have mixed experience with Whatsapp, I am sure there are people on MF with better knowledge. I see it more for mobile phone users.

Incidentally, I realise there is a big Google to look for the answer to my question, but over the past 20 years or so I have found the tech advice on MF has been good, and it's from people I 'know'. Plus there may be issues with a service here rather than in California, or Russia.

• Like 1

Just get a ip phone and a virtual landline number.

I use the excellent Yealink T48G and a free app on my mobile.

I use MT's Manx.net to talk to my mother in law - as it only ever works properly once a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1