Prom Parties / After Parties

LightBulb

14 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Of course, the kids will still have parties that night, just they'll be far more spread about the place. The police workload may well end up higher as a result but their hands are pretty much tied on this one

You have hit the nail on the head.

I would prefer to have control on where incidents will happen. The party or parties will now disperse with the usual spread of resource to counter it.

Far prefer agreeing with interested parties how to manage the process, a police boast in many press releases “Working with our partners and other agencies” Than allow twelve months to elapse and call it off.

Poor Management Chief Constable?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Poor Management Chief Constable?

Still it will be a 20 mph all island speed limit next too; and already no raves, no illicit after school parties allowed, and no using 50p worth of cannabis or you’re in jail. And they wonder why our young people aren’t coming back? Soon we’ll just have to pop a pill in the morning by law to keep us law abiding all week and then the police can go on holiday all year as we go about our lives like soulless zombies!

23 hours ago, MrPB said:

Presumably that would have been too easy a solution which would have left more than enough time for the event to have been re-structured and run, when really they’d much rather it just didn’t take place instead by killing it all when it’s too late for anyone to do anything else about it. 

Yeah tend to agree with that. It sounds a bit like the coppers have been a bit twattish by advising of the decision so late in the day...so they probably cant be arsed dealing with it. However saying its been ok for years so it should just go ahead is not right either. Clearly become more and more popular each year....but if something did go wrong...the parents whinging now would be the same parents whinging about their kids getting hurt etc. Recall that incident in Ireland a few months back where a load of kids turned up and all tried to get into the same venue at once causing a crush and a couple of kids were killed....

10 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

OK, at the risk of mountains of abuse and criticism, here is my take. And yes, I have children - all of whom went to Proms. 

It actually seriously winds me up the way all these snowflake parents on social media (particularly Facebook) are almost crying at the fact poor Matilda and Hugo have had their party stopped, and how the poor lambs deserve such a said celebration as they have all been working so hard. What do I say to that? Boo bloody Hoo. That's what. 

It worries me (seriously) that:

Being bought a new dress/suit is not enough. Having their hair done is not enough. Probably having nails/make-up done is not enough. Having a ticket purchased for them is not enough. Having a car/limo hired for them is not enough. Going to an event that has been organised for them, by them, is not enough. 

Seriously people - WTAF!?

The solution? Simple really. Get an independent events company to organise a properly licensed and regulated event, charge £10 a ticket and let the kids go,, and save parents a few hundred quid in the process. It seems that is what the kids want - so scrap school proms (I'm sure teachers will be thrilled they don't need to give up an evening to prevent a pile of 16 year olds from getting stupidly drunk), and everyone is happy. Job done.

What absolute bollocks.  The beauty of them having a self organised party in a field is that it's free, it won't cost anybody anything. 

You moan about them having too much spent on them on dresses make up and limos?? and then go on to suggest that the whole event is turned into an licensed, regulated event that's going to cost money to go to!? Make your mind up.

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

I tend to agree but we now live in a culture where if some risk or other is flagged up and no action is taken,  the person flagging it up would make sure that everyone knew about it in the event of anything happening, no matter how small! Life is becoming crap and over regulated, what you gonna do?

Don't buy into it,  that's what. Rolling over and saying the police are only covering their ass is only going to make things worse. Why should the police wishing to cover their ass stop some young people having fun? What action could legally be taken if some youngsters decide to have a party up there anyway?

10 hours ago, asitis said:

We live in litigious times in all aspects of life, and really I don't blame anyone for protecting their neck, as a previous poster said this is a no win situation. If something should happen or go wrong or whatever lawyers will be chasing someone within days !! We are all to blame for being part of the blame culture and seeking someone to pay afterwards.

Are you suggesting the police would be sued if they didn't ban it and something went wrong? 

Not sure I've ever heard of that before. 

On 6/25/2019 at 5:29 PM, Rob Taylor said:

So in summing up the top policeman doesnt want the blame for being a killjoy but would rather it sat on the shoulders of a subordinate.

That’s generally how it works...

in fairness though, he was on leave

Edited by Derek Flint

Just on this.

Public entertainment has a legal framework around it. It has developed because when it was just a free for all, people got hurt. I’ve seen allegations of assault, theft, and even rape arise from gigs like the one that was planned. And hospitalization is a given, through too much sauce, and quite likely imbibing of funny tablets.

And without a fire certificate, nobody is laughing when 100 youngsters get maimed or killed when the place inadvertently goes up like a Roman candle. 

It may seem like nanny state, but all the rules have come about through the result of bitter hindsight. I’d rather enforce that, than spend time investigating the aftermaths. 

If someone takes the time to set the gig up properly, with an experienced organizer, I’m sure it would be cracking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

Don't buy into it,  that's what. Rolling over and saying the police are only covering their ass is only going to make things worse. Why should the police wishing to cover their ass stop some young people having fun? What action could legally be taken if some youngsters decide to have a party up there anyway?

Because of this....

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Just on this.

Public entertainment has a legal framework around it. It has developed because when it was just a free for all, people got hurt. I’ve seen allegations of assault, theft, and even rape arise from gigs like the one that was planned. And hospitalization is a given, through too much sauce, and quite likely imbibing of funny tablets.

And without a fire certificate, nobody is laughing when 100 youngsters get maimed or killed when the place inadvertently goes up like a Roman candle. 

It may seem like nanny state, but all the rules have come about through the result of bitter hindsight. I’d rather enforce that, than spend time investigating the aftermaths. 

If someone takes the time to set the gig up properly, with an experienced organizer, I’m sure it would be cracking. 

Perhaps we have learned a few lessons over the years? 

• Like 3

But it's a field, the area around it is quite open, I think the possibility of a 100 youngsters being maimed or killed is probably fairly slight.

If it is of concern,  why don't the fire brigade pop up there with the organisers,  have a look and make some suggestions? It would take a  fire officer what, half an hour to do that,  if he found anything of particular concern that couldn't be sorted, then think about taking things further. Just banning the event in case someone is struck by lightning seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut to me.

• Like 1