Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

20mph speed limits to be introduced

I love the way the consultation process has finally been acknowledged as a purely a 'tick in the box' exercise...as stated here:

"The low-speed areas will be implemented from 2020, with design work and a public consultation to take place this year."

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-20mph-zones-for-towns-and-residential-areas/

Personally, they may as well introduce an all island speed limit now, and be done with it.

• Like 1

Towns and villages should be 20mph. As it stands the only 20mph town areas are those with posh houses, the flatlands are all 30mph limits eg  Mona street, Hillside Avenue, Allen Street. These tiny streets are 30mph?? doesn't tie in with an all island speed limit imo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

Towns and villages should be 20mph. As it stands the only 20mph town areas are those with posh houses, the flatlands are all 30mph limits eg  Mona street, Hillside Avenue, Allen Street. These tiny streets are 30mph?? doesn't tie in with an all island speed limit imo.

Except, of course, all limits will be removed for TT week so that other people can enjoy freedoms we will no longer be allowed to have while we pay for it all. 

Sorry I meant that having that opinion doesn't tie in with having an opinion we should have an all Island speed limit. I am all for low limits within towns and villages where people live, but as a big motorsport and TT fan I do not support an all Isle speed limit (like most of us).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Except, of course, all limits will be removed for TT week so that other people can enjoy freedoms we will no longer be allowed to have while we pay for it all. 

That's not correct, in fact its quite the opposite. New limits are introduced for race periods.

• Like 3

I see a major problem is caused by the slapdash choosing of arbitrary speed limits. There are very few limits that are sensible, logical or satisfactory. e.g. no speed limit outside our cottage with a bendy lane only 1 1/2 cars wide, same in Tholt y Will, yet a 30 or other  limit on some wide, straight, non residential roads with no particular hazards. 

There are other limits, such as outside the farm where  it is 40mph, are just not enforced. The serious danger has been pointed out to the police and in spite of a few near misses pulling out and being confronted by speeding vehicles who seem totally unaware of the speed limit, still nothing is done.

9 hours ago, piebaps said:

That's not correct, in fact its quite the opposite. New limits are introduced for race periods.

Much feedback received this year that any more speed limits during race week will strongly impact on TT bookings. Cant actually see them being implemented. 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Much feedback received this year that any more speed limits during race week will strongly impact on TT bookings. Cant actually see them being implemented. 

That's a shame then. Speed limits should never be determined by the hero worshipping bikers. Limits are there for the safety of all. If you don't like it, stay home.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, hissingsid said:

Ha, ha, ha, no one keeps to the speed limit....and sadly no one cares.

Evidence to the contrary for the last 2yrs on the Douglas to Ramsey coast road.."

• Like 2

The Richmond Hill 50 seems to be getting adhered to by the majority since the surface fixed itself a month or so ago.  But to be honest someone going up there at 60 isn't really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Much worse are the people who drive through residential areas far too quickly, very often members of the 42mph everywhere club.

I think 20 limits in all residential areas makes a lot of sense.  The reality is that it will slow most people down to 30 or less, which is definitely a better situation than exists now where the limits are 30.

The standard of driving generally is horrendous though, so even if people slow down you're still going to get the non-indicators, the tailgaters, the corner-cutters, the incapable of maintaining a speeders and all the other examples of bad driving that I literally see on every commute carrying on as usual.

• Like 1

plenty of cyclists should  be getting done for speeding when this lot comes in then,  'bout time they had to have speedos fitted as standard as a legal requirement along with insurance

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef Raekwon said:

The Richmond Hill 50 seems to be getting adhered to by the majority since the surface fixed itself a month or so ago.  But to be honest someone going up there at 60 isn't really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Much worse are the people who drive through residential areas far too quickly, very often members of the 42mph everywhere club.

I think 20 limits in all residential areas makes a lot of sense.  The reality is that it will slow most people down to 30 or less, which is definitely a better situation than exists now where the limits are 30.

The standard of driving generally is horrendous though, so even if people slow down you're still going to get the non-indicators, the tailgaters, the corner-cutters, the incapable of maintaining a speeders and all the other examples of bad driving that I literally see on every commute carrying on as usual.

In general I agree with you but, I would question the problem with cutting corners as a general comment.

Shoot me down if you like and then read the police driving manual or the advanced driver's manual.

41 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

In general I agree with you but, I would question the problem with cutting corners as a general comment.

Shoot me down if you like and then read the police driving manual or the advanced driver's manual.

I'm talking about dickheads who have wheels over my side of the road because they assumed no one was coming round a corner, there's just no need.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with cutting a corner when you can see through the bend and there's no one coming.

• Like 4