Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Boosting the Islands Reputation

HRH The Chief Minister is at it again in his answer to that poser of quite frankly stupid and pointless questions Jason Moorhouse.  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/athletes-boost-islands-reputation-says-cm/

Yes the Atheletes and all participants in the island games deserve praise and congratulations for their achievements. However Government words and actions don’t always match up. If my memory serves me right one year after a successful island games there were no Government Minister waiting to welcome the arriving plane at Reynoldsway. Government given the opportunity would cut the sports budgets and also tinker with sporting facilities. Let’s face it after a year the renovations at the National Sports Centre Pool still haven’t been completed. 

I would add that idea that success equates to a boost in the islands reputation is rather fanciful, daft and is clutching st straws. Yes it makes the population feel good and proud, but I doubt potential new residents look at it before deciding on the island as a place to locate.im.

Moorhouse's question was intended to point up that gov't support for these Manx Ambassadors is rather inconsistent and fails to recognise the reputational benefits for the island. Therefore it wasn't necessarily pointless or stupid.

• Like 2

Is Moorhouse pointless?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Is Moorhouse pointless?

.... along with twenty three others I think it is !

• Like 1

He has successfully raised the profile of seagulls.

• Like 1

He will be outraged at the offshore wind farms killing herring gulls

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Moorhouse's question was intended to point up that gov't support for these Manx Ambassadors is rather inconsistent and fails to recognise the reputational benefits for the island. Therefore it wasn't necessarily pointless or stupid.

If it's a nice, warm, touristy destination then they'll definitely be supporting these Manx Ambassadors actually AT THE EVENT!

And all on X's!

That seems to be the SOP anyway...

Edited by P.K.
Really piss-poor grammar...
  • Like 1

Sadly with it coming up to Tynpotwald to end all Tynpotwalds, most of the village idiots won’t be to attend.  HRH The Chief Minister did attend the Commonwealth Games,in Australia in 2018 in a ‘private capacity and allegedly paid his own airfares and bought tickets for himself and family. 

Anyway the likes of Mark Cavendish, Peter Kennaugh, Jonathon Rea (ex resident), Cal Crutchlow etc are exceptional Ambassadors for their sport and in turn it reflects on the islands reputation. The Islsnd Games athletes are Ambassadors for the island and I’m sure their success will get some press headlines. 

If I could remember correctly, but I could be wrong, there was uproar a few years ago, when their were no Politicos at Reynoldsway, to greet the athletes return. 

These Politicos will gladly use the athletes hard work to boost their own egos and reputation.

20 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Is Moorhouse pointless?

He seems to have taken over from Ashcroft the role of 'MHK Who Will Ask Whatever Question You Want'.  Which isn't a bad thing, though because he often doesn't know what the topic is about he frequently fails to follow up, even when it is a useful question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Anyway the likes of Mark Cavendish, Peter Kennaugh, Jonathon Rea (ex resident), Cal Crutchlow etc are exceptional Ambassadors for their sport and in turn it reflects on the islands reputation.

I think Cav and Crutchlow could more accurately be described as ex-residents as well with the amount of time they spend in Italy as opposed to here. Brass name plates?

Just published on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-student-heads-to-itvs-love-island/

I’m sure HRH The Chief Minister and RC and other assorted Politicos will be setting themselves at all this invaluable publicity. If he is successful I’m sure the Tynpotwald Politicos will be riding his coat tails for as long as possible. Perhaps he could promote the Manx National Dish of Chips, Cheese n Gravy and that other delicacy Spuds n Herring. With HRH at the helm I’m sure we be back to eating it regularly!

Just be glad that you're not having to watch HQ and our other politicos cavorting around in shorts and swimming gear....

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just be glad that you're not having to watch HQ and our other politicos cavorting around in shorts and swimming gear....

Yer bugger..... half a cup of tea has just made it down the front of me shirt!

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Is Moorhouse pointless?

Q. Is Moorhouse Phile Gawne?

A. No.

Ipso facto Moorhouse is not pointless.

12 hours ago, gettafa said:

Q. Is Moorhouse Phile Gawne?

A. No.

Ipso facto Moorhouse is not pointless.

But Moorhouse’s only contribution to Manx politics is pretty much the fact that he is not Phil Gawne. It’s been an idiot swap where the voters only marginally got less of an idiot.