Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Innocent until proved Guilty

The good doctor is putting a bill forward that will stop people who are accused of sexual acts names not to be released until proven guilty.    This is really good news for the men who have been accused of rape and subsequently been found innocent after having their lives ruined by erroneous claims.   Also for those who have been accused publicly for other sexual offenses.  This is long overdue and is fair, the guilty ones will be exposed to the public eye when they are sentenced.   I should imagine all right minded people will agree with this move except the local rags who will have a hissy fit on losing their chance to publish people's names, addresses etc when subsequently they are found innocent.   The museum case still rankles with me that poor man went through hell because of an article in the rag of a paper that published all these details when he was innocent and just the victim of a stupid woman who had issues with Manx Heritage.   I do hope this gets passed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Long overdue. Couldn't agree more with your comments Sid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will of course be the usual weak argument that the 'me too' brigade will miss their chance to be in the sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why just sexual offences? People’s reputations both personally and professionally can be damaged by allegations whether of a sexual nature or not? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manxst said:

Why just sexual offences? People’s reputations both personally and professionally can be damaged by allegations whether of a sexual nature or not? 

true,  but as soon as 'sex' is mentioned the mud sticks a lot harder which in some cases of malicious claims is the whole point in making the claim,  not many people care if you were actually innocent.  smoke/fire etc etc.  but if you've just embezzled 20 million nobody gives a fuck and they want their share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dreadful decision. They should be named once charged. How can people able to corroborate or refute come forward with more information if the accused aren't named. This is a sex offender's charter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

Dreadful decision. They should be named once charged. How can people able to corroborate or refute come forward with more information if the accused aren't named. This is a sex offender's charter. 

Maybe bring back tarring and feathering eh...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Maybe bring back tarring and feathering eh...

Who's suggesting that? There would still be a trial and upon conviction there's prison and other punishments. 

When anonymity was introduced for victims of sexual assault or rape in the IoM, 30+ years ago we also introduced anonymity for the person charged unless and until they were found guilty.

I can’t remember why it was changed back.

Legally I think anonymity, ie not being named until convicted should be a right of all defendants. With modern media they are pilloried by the digital equivalent of the lynch mob.

Its common in other countries, such as Germany. No reporting or identifying until end of trial.

It isn’t an attack on freedom of speech, it’s protecting someone who is still innocent.

As for similar fact evidence, people with the same experience coming forward, I’m not convinced whether it outweighs false memory syndrome. Very difficult balance?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

You may think differently if it were you that was being accused of rape and had your name and address splashed all over the paper Declan.   There have been numerous cases across lately where women have falsely accused men of raping them and been found out to be liars, unfortunately by that time the men's lives have been ruined.  The women were imprisoned but that was little consolation for their victims. Innocent until proven guilty that is the way to go, no naming or shaming unconfirmed guilt.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

Who's suggesting that? There would still be a trial and upon conviction there's prison and other punishments. 

It was a polite way of calling you an idiot...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Declan said:

The trouble with that is that exactly the same argument can be used to demand that those who say they have been assaulted should have their names released as well - even if they are children.  Maybe more so - after all the judicial system is built on the presumption of innocence.  I don't think either of us would like to see that - though sections of the media would love it.

8 hours ago, Declan said:

Absolutely not! There can be no greater punishment than being accused of the most heinous of crimes against women or children. The current situation is draconian and obnoxious. The fact that somebody can make a false allegation under a cloak of anonymity against an innocent man who is then immediately named is completely wrong, and there can be no justification for it whatsoever. This injustice has ruined many a life.

I am surprised at you Declan. I thought you were one of our more liberally minded contributors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Absolutely not! There can be no greater punishment than being accused of the most heinous of crimes against women or children. The current situation is draconian and obnoxious. The fact that somebody can make a false allegation under a cloak of anonymity against an innocent man who is then immediately named is completely wrong, and there can be no justification for it whatsoever. This injustice has ruined many a life.

I am surprised at you Declan. I thought you were one of our more liberally minded contributors.

I am also shocked at Declan's post. I always say, " there, for the grace of god, go I " Anyone, anywhere, anytime could falsely accuse you of an assault or similar and you could not do jack shit to counter it. Meantime you are a target for abuse or violence, yet you know you have done nothing. Just saying.

• Like 1

Just now, dilligaf said:

I am also shocked at Declan's post. I always say, " there, for the grace of god, go I " Anyone, anywhere, anytime could falsely accuse you of an assault or similar and you could not do jack shit to counter it. Meantime you are a target for abuse or violence, yet you know you have done nothing. Just saying.

Yes, and, as has been said, it's a million times worse in these days of everyone publishing their opinion every second of the day and winding wach other up. Some of the hotheads would raise a posse of vigilantes to go and sort out/kill the rapist/paedophile. The fact that the person was innocent would not worry them overmuch. Whole system is a disgrace.

• Thanks 2